Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Best way to store flour and sugars?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Best way to store flour and sugars? Next Topic  

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  5:25:22 PM  Show Profile
What is the best way to store flour and sugars (white & brown). Plastic, glass or tins?

What do you use?

There is no set path, follow your heart stay the course.

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  5:31:27 PM  Show Profile
I just purchased two OXO plastic containers. They are very tight and have a pushbutton on top to open and close. So far, they have worked very well.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  8:44:12 PM  Show Profile
I buy 50lb bags of organic white flour, rolled oats, etc. and divide it into reasonable sized plastic bags and store them in the freezer. I find it stays fresh that way and I don't have to worry about anything getting into them. Some deli's and ice cream shops will sell you the lidded plastic buckets and empty pickle jars for a reasonable price. I use the big gallon pickle jars to store sugar...just be sure to wash them thoroughly or your coffee is going to taste a little funny! :)
Di
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  03:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Ever hear of a Vittles Vault? They are mostly for pet food storage, but when I need 25 pounds of sugar for jams and jellies, it all goes into one of these. They are air tight.

When I'm not going through so much sugar, I also just store smaller bags of brown sugar and flour and any other kind of grain that may sit for a while that I don't want bugs geting into.

For rice and pasta, it's glass gasket canisters.
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
My flour is stored in a bail handle glass jar with a screw-on metal lid. One of the tips my grandmother taught me was to put a bay leaf in my flour and it keeps bugs out. I have to be careful when I use flour straight from the jar because the bay leaf has broken into pieces, but I check my flour as I use it. Haven't had any problems.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64
Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  9:47:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm getting weird about plastics due to some of the additives in it, so I am switching over to mostly glass. However, for the moment, I have my brown sugar and powdered in a Lock & Lock plastic container and I buy flour in 25# sack, which is divided into plastic containers which hold 5# each. Sugar is the same way. For the flour/sugar that I do not have in storage, they are in vintage glass canisters on my countertop. :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  04:48:26 AM  Show Profile
I do a little of everything...... 5 gallon buckets for long-term storage, plastic bags in the freezer and large glass jar/jug on the counter.

side note..... Freeze the flour for a couple of days, take it out for a couple of days and then refreeze it. This process is supposed to kill pests and then kill any that weren't doomed the in the first freezing.

Blessings,
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  12:12:32 PM  Show Profile
I have been trying to get away from the plastic. I think glass jars are the best and it is nice to see how much is left in the jar. I usually re-use jars like mayo jars or spagetti jars. For my flour and sugar I did purchase some larger glass jars at walmart and they were quite affordable.

I have kept both flour and sugar in it's own packaging in the freezer or fridge.

Reina

http://reinascountrykitchen.blogspot.com
http://icookinnewmexico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MInwife
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

LEA
OXFORD NC
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  12:33:40 PM  Show Profile
I store mine in gallon size canning jars that I purchased from the farm store... they work great and I can freeze in them too if necessary

Lea

www.theendoftheroad.typepad.com

Farm Girl Sister # 2078
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  6:23:29 PM  Show Profile
I use canning jars and glass jars for all of my baking storage. Everything from flour to baking soda to pecans get stored in glass. I use bale wire jars with silicon seals from IKEA for storing sugar and flour and I recently got two of the biggest square glass cracker jars from Target (on sale!) that hold exactly five pounds of flour each. The cracker jars have metal screw tops.

As for canning jars, I like the widemouth kind (I have quart and pint) because I can fit my hands in them (easier to clean) and sometimes I can even fit measuring cups into them. :)

I prefer glass because it is non-reactive, doesn't leach smells (like plastic), is air-tight, doesn't stain, and doesn't harbor bacteria or mold. Yes, it's heavy, and yes, it can break, but I prefer it anyway. It's also nice and see-thru. :)

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:18:51 AM  Show Profile
You can get food safe plastic buckets to store in but I try an avoid it. Most of my things are stored in glass but when you have 50lbs of flour, you'd need TONS of glass jars to store it all in. I end up using plastic for large bulk and seal it up with the Gamma Seal lids.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  5:13:21 PM  Show Profile
Such a great post! We've been storing ours in plastic containers or the bags the flour comes in.

I'm on a mission to have a plastic free kitchen along with buying more bulk items. Tomorrow I'm going to transer everything to mason jars and store half portions in the freezer. Can sugar be frozen?

Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  6:37:51 PM  Show Profile
I get large buckets with airtight lids from the bakery at our local Sam's Club. They get their frosting in them (food safe) and give them away if you get there at the right time. They are not allowed to save them for you. After washing them, I store all of my grains (for grinding my flour) and bags of sugar. They stack well and I have not had any problems with them.
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  08:17:19 AM  Show Profile
I have glass jars from IKEA, Walmart and Target. They all work great, although I do need to get a bigger sized jar to keep all my flour in that I use for making bread. We go through a lot of flour!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Best way to store flour and sugars? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page