Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic mini mobile farm Next Topic  

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  2:11:13 PM  Show Profile
I have a new extension of my One Acre Farm business....... a mini mobile farm! Recently, I started bringing a few animals at a time out to the preschools and elementary schools. It's becoming so popular.

I usually give educational tours of my small farm but now I'm going to focus mainly on the mobile farm....... I have outfitted my trailer to house wire cages for the smaller animals like chickens and rabbits. The cages are like a wall on the side of the trailer and kids can walk by and see them. The other half of the trailer is for the larger animals like goats (I hope to have a cow soon). The children can have access to petting them, too.

I can educate more children with my traveling trailer than with small tours at the farm. Plus, I can generate more income.

SO COOL!!!!

Blessings,
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  1:13:52 PM  Show Profile
That does sound cool-do you have pics?

jessi lynn
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  07:04:51 AM  Show Profile
this is such a fine idea. i would love to learn more. i have farm tours here now. you charge? what is your fee to go who pays the fee? it must help pay for fuel etc? what a fine thing you are doing. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  09:42:55 AM  Show Profile
I need to upload pics from my camera to my computer......procrastination.....ugh!

I'm actually making more money with the traveling trailer than with the tours at the farm. My farm tours are suited for small groups and families and I charge $4 per person. That includes some food to feed the animals. It actually doesn't make me that much but I couldn't see myself charging more when we have the Houston Zoo about 45 minutes away and I'd be charging almost what they charge.

For the "We Bring The Farm To You" trailer I charge $95 for a 30 - 45 minute learning session. Teachers and daycares are excited to pay the fee. It's worth it to them to have less trouble than to go on a field trip. It covers well for the gas and my time. I do presentations and demonstrations for up to 20 students, so it really pays well when I have multiple sessions back to back at one location that has several classes.

There is one traveling petting zoo in the area that sets up at birthday parties and carnivals. They do not provide any educational stuff.....just the petting zoo. They charge $375 per hour. If you want to add pony rides it's another $200. So, I think my $95 for about 45 minutes of teaching and demonstrations is pretty fair.

I'm a certified teacher and was an elementary teacher years ago before I had kids and homeschooled. So, I'm having a lot of fun interacting with young children again and I think they're liking it, too. It's been such an easy thing I am astonished that I didn't think of it sooner.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic mini mobile farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page