Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  09:32:59 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone! I had a request by way of a diabetic friend for me to try a batch of splenda jam.

Ladies, don't waste you time, hard earned $$ and especially your prized berries! It doesn't work. The usual method I use is found in the packets of Ball or Certo liquid pectin. I followed this and substituted the Splenda. The usual yield is 5 pint jars, the Splenda only yields 2 1/2. What a sickening disapointment. I followed everyting per the usual, and then proceded to make 45 other jars using regular sugar. Guess my frined will be sipping his jam through a straw or ladeling it over his reduced sugar ice cream!. Although for him, it's the taste he craves, and not necessairly how pretty the jar looks when it's set. To each his own I suppose.

So if someone else has had success, please enlighten me! Otherwise, I'll gently tell my diabetic friend to just exercise a bit of self control and save his $$ on the Splenda

I have another diabetic friend who is hooked on my blackberry jelly. He has no self comtrol. So I may sacrifice a few berries on his behalf, use the Splenda and save him a trip to the e/r.

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  11:24:21 AM  Show Profile
kraftfoods.com has recipes and instructions on making jams with splenda. I don't think that you can do a cup for cup exchange in jelly making even though the packaging says "cup for cup" because it's chemically different than sugar. The recipes on that website only call for 1/2 C. of splenda. I'm thinking about trying some myself because my husband is a diabetic.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Shaklee Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Angel
Porter,Tx. (N.Houston area)
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  08:39:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm up for some recipes for sugar free stuff for my sister-in-law & neighbor. Yes it's the flavor & taste I think that makes homemade jellies & such, vegetables, etc. be sooo good. Maybe on the Kichten area we could start if their isn't an area already set-up for sugar free or natural recipes for diabetics & us regular folks interested in healthier recipes. Just a thought, maybe. This forum is so nice for the different ideas & resources of all the different backgrounds, ages, lifestyles, etc. of everyone, thanks for being here!! Best to all. Angel

Sharing & Choosing Healthier Alternatives
Checkout www.shaklee.net/allen
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Splenda jams/jellies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page