milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  07:04:34 AM  Show Profile
I made the mistake when I trasnsplanted some flowers from the herb patch and got some mint mixed in and now I have a over abundence of mint.. I love it and have made some jelly and froze some but now what?? I would love to preserve some more but am out of ideas

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #542

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  07:18:47 AM  Show Profile
Last year I dried some of our mint and then made crushed it up and mixed in with sugar. I used it in baking, iced/hot tea and ice cream (peppermint). I still have enough left for those items again this fall/winter.

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  07:23:36 AM  Show Profile
Dry some leaves for tea. I love mint tea, I also mix it with green tea, regular tea, even mix a little with coffee sometimes, very good iced. It's very good in Tabouli and other similar salads.
My mint also took over a little more space this year, it was so pretty and the bees loved it.
Enjoy!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  08:35:59 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I too have an abundance of mint. I dry some for hot tea and I harvest it for Meadow Tea. Right now I am harvesting it to freeze so I can make Meadow Tea in the winter (My honey loves it all year round). I just rinse the leaves, pat dry and measure, pack into ziploc bags and freeze. Or you can go ahead and make the concentrate (recipe below) and freeze that too, I just have other things to can and freeze so I don't have alot of time right now.

Here is the recipe:

Meadow Tea

2 cups fresh mint leaves, washed and packed
2-2 1/2 cups sugar
4 cups water
Garnish: fresh mint

Place all ingredients in a medium stockpot. Boil for 5 minutes; turn off heat and let stand for 5 hours. Strain through a coffee filter lined sieve, squeezing excess liquid from mint leaves.

To serve: add 1-cup concentrate to 2 quarts of cold water in a pitcher. Serve with ice and a garnish of mint. Makes 4 cups concentrate; about 8 servings per one cup concentrate.

*Concentrate freezes well :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 28 2010 08:45:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  08:45:38 AM  Show Profile
Karen,

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  10:19:45 AM  Show Profile
Our horse pasture is covered with field mint, the kind with purple flowers. Is this a type I can use in the above-mentioned ways? The field has not been fertilized or sprayed unless you count the horses and llamas!!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  8:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Anyone want to send my some surplus dried mint?????:)

~Amy~ THE BEND IN THE ROAD ISN'T THE END OF THE ROAD UNLESS YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE TURN

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mint recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page