Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Time to Sit-n-knit!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Time to Sit-n-knit!! Next Topic  

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  3:34:49 PM  Show Profile
A few years ago I was new to the area and started my own knitting circle. We're now 50 strong and every Monday night we meet, chicks with sticks and make things for ourselves, for friends, for Christmas and charity. As the season changes in to Fall, I find myself desperately wanting to just sit and knit. The wool in my hands, the needles clicking away.....but this also seems the busiest time to me.

What about you? Does anyone out there have a fiber addiction like I do?

What are you knitting for Christmas? Yourself? I've got a pair of socks that kinda comes with me everywhere I go.

LR

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  8:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi Littleredd,
I started knitting last year, practicing stitches, making dishcloths. I knitted a K2P2 ribbed scarf for DH, got all the way to the end and the work slipped off the needles and I made a mess trying to figure it out...I'm taking it to a local yarn store, the Yarn Nook, for some help to finish. I'd like to develop the skill to make a cable knit fisherman's sweater...oh and socks, in wild colors. I keep practicing, working on smoothing the yarn tension, learning the different stitches.
I smiled while reading "chicks with sticks".
I know that feeling of wanting to have wool in my hands, the motion of needles is very comforting. I hope you'll post pictures of finished projects.
Thanks for the post!

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64
()Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace.

Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  9:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Littlered, I am currently knitting a cardigan for my daughter, a pair of socks for myself, and a sweater for my nieces new baby. Uhhh....yes, I am addicted! I walked past a craft store and said ohhhhh, look, YARN! My husband replied "You have more yarn in your knitting cabinet than that store does." LOL
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  9:49:59 PM  Show Profile
I am headed out to the "Elegant Ewe" (My favorite yarn shop!) tomorrow to pick up some wool for another cowl scarf-I am on my third one so far this fall! I know exactly what you mean about the way wool feels in your hands and the sweet sound of that gentle "clicking" of knitting needles at work! I find it very soothing and relaxing, and fulfilling knowing that I am not just "sitting" idly... I am creating an item that is functional as well as beautiful!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  06:08:30 AM  Show Profile
i love to knit-it is very addicting! i am working on my second pair of socks, they are for the hubby. and i am saving my pennies to go to the yarn shop and buy the yarn i need to make a sweater! i have a baby quilt i really need to finish but i can't stop knitting to finish it! i have got it bad!!

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  06:35:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Chandra: Oh my! Dropping all your stitches at the end of the scarf must have made your heart stop! Mine used to until I figure out the relationship between each row of stitches. LYS's are awesome! That's how I kept going when I first learned. They got me out of many a bind. Good luck and just keep going! Every piece you do is a learning experience. I could try to pose some pictures but I'm not sure how! Cables are loads of fun. If you want a good book....try 'Stitch-n-[bleep]' by Debbie Stoller. She's funny and very good with her instructions. Otherwise, youtube is a great source as well!

Hi Kathy: Glad to meet another addicted yarny! My weakness is clearance yarn! There are times when I compromise on what I truly like because the price is so good. BAD idea but you never know when you might use a yarn for a gift or something. And waaay too many rubbermaid containers later.... ;-)

Hi Melody: I have yet to make a cowl but really want to. They can be so fashionable and if my neck is warm the rest of me usually is. Do you have a pattern you tend to go with? Have you seen www.knittingpatterncentral.com? Lots of free patterns! Thanks for sharing your feelings about knitting, I feel the same, in fact, I used knitting to stop smoking years ago, it's a much healthier alternative.

Hi Mary Jo: Does your yarn store have a clearance section? Haunt it if it does for the yarn for the sweater, I recently hit a great sale of yarn and got all the yarn I needed for a sweater for $40. That's pretty durned good.

Glad to meet you all; what's the favorite project you ever knit? Did you ever knit something for someone who didn't appreciate it and you thought "never again!" Ugh! LOL....sometimes I can knit some pretty crazy things.

LR
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  08:52:34 AM  Show Profile
I love to knit and crochet. I still have a lovely brown/beige variegated yarn for a sweater, bought it when my oldest brother was ill almost 4 yrs ago and still not worked with it duh!! I did do a lot of knitting/crocheting in between just not with that yarn. Might pick it up to make something warm for myself this fall. I could use a warm sweater :).

I am NOT safe in a yarn store (or any craft store lol, that is why I don't go there anymore)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  09:00:22 AM  Show Profile
Marian: neither am I. I swear they've figure out the best way to display the colors too. I remember one moment in my LYS where I was wandering around, they were carrying the same stuff so there wasn't anything I was too thrilled about.....then I turned the corner and stopped, went "ooooooooooooo" and started salivating over the most gorgeous arrangement of sock yarn I'd ever seen. The colors were fabulous. Koigu KPPM it was called. I saved up and bought two skeins and make a pair of socks with them. I don't think I'd ever been so thrilled with a yarn.
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  1:14:32 PM  Show Profile
I am working on mittens right now-fast & fun!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  1:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Karla, mittens are great. The fingers on gloves slow things down a bit. I made a pair of felted mittens once, the warmest things you ever had on two hands.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  3:53:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm working on a pair of fingerless gloves made form Merino homespun and a pair of intricately designed socks called the Tree of Life from the Enchanted Sole sock book.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  07:10:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow! 50??!! Awesome. I started a Farmgirl Chapter and right now we are ten and do a monthly "knit in". My mother in law in Denmark has had her knitting circle 25 years! Love the sound of the needles clicking...

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  7:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Sheri: I'm envious of you doing the Tree of Life pattern. I've seen it on other things and it's really beautiful. How is it different from, say, a washcloth where there are noticeable leaves? I'd imagine in a sock it might have a lacy look to it? Just a guess, I'll bet they'll be gorgeous

Nicole: I know! All from one poster on a Starbucks board near where I live.....well and eventually so advertising in the community section of the newspaper too! Knitting is serius bidness in Denmark! They have to have warm everything.

Glad to meet fellow knitters! Anybody on Ravelry? I love that site for free patterns and the marketplace. V. cool.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  11:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Actually it's a color work pattern. You can see the picture from the book on Amazon (it's the second picture) http://www.amazon.com/Enchanted-Legendary-Socks-Adventurous-Knitters/dp/0981497233

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  09:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Those are the most amazing socks I have ever seen. If I wore them, I'd have to wear skirts all the time so I wouldn't have to keep hiking up my pant legs to look at them. Wow, kudos to you, the tree of life and the others are real stunners.
LR
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  11:04:23 AM  Show Profile
YUP love Ravelry too :D

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  7:50:58 PM  Show Profile
What a great thread to read at bedtime. Makes me want to grab the yarn instead of going to bed with the rest of the family but will regret that in the morning! I dont think I am as skilled as the rest of you.I learned from a book and have made slippers and scarves. Tried a sweater for my DH which was a hoot. He didnt want to wear it just because one sleeve was shorter than the other. You know how picky men can be lol.
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  07:43:37 AM  Show Profile
Awwww, they say never to knit for your boyfriend but if he's your DH he should have worn it anyway! :) What kind of slippers have you made? I love knit slippers.
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  1:31:27 PM  Show Profile
Hello Littleredd,

I hope you had a happy Christmas and enjoying your holiday adventures with knitting. I finally learned to knit in 2006 and have been knitting ever since. I am still learning to knit. I most especially enjoy making Chemo Caps with Fashion Style and Beauty. I enjoy doing a lot of charity knitting and crocheting. I enjoy the feel of the yarns and the magical connection to creating something lovely and inspirational and caring for others. It's a great stress buster as well. I take my yarn and either my knitting needles or my hooks with me most everywhere I go, including while watching movies and television program.

Any special projects that are being made for this new year?

Home+Yarn+Ocean-loving Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Time to Sit-n-knit!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page