Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic HFCS by any other name Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  08:13:31 AM  Show Profile
Yup, the bigwigs want to change the name so consumers have something else to think about.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100914/ap_on_bi_ge/us_corn_syrup_image

Best Growing

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  10:19:43 AM  Show Profile
So not surprising.........

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  9:04:14 PM  Show Profile
Duh! I am a stupid consumer so I will flock to the products with Corn Sugar in them because it's so much better than HFCS.

OK, enough sarcasm. It's obvious that the public is reading labels because they want to avoid this product. Do they honestly believe if they change the name of the product the public will stop reading the labels? I think Sara Lee, Snapple, Gatorade and Hunts are more savvy at figuring out what the consumer wants and therefore stopped using HFCS all together.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

applesaucemom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rebekah

37 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  11:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow, thanks for the article link. It's all a big marketing campaign because people are finally figuring out that it's not so good!

Quiltin Mama, your quilts are gorgeous!

my blog: www.applesaucemom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  06:59:00 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, a lot of people won't know there is a change over and think they are getting something different or better. It is sad that these companies just tweak and remain in the same business instead of listening to people. It shows youhow much we really matter to them.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  07:15:32 AM  Show Profile
You are unfortunately very right Laurie, =\ Most people will not know and think that it is something new and therefore, good! How awful of them for doing this rather than fixing the problem.
I suffer from weight issues and am being a LOT more careful about my labels and what goes unnoticed in the food world. Trying to eat only what I know the ingredients of and not the fast things that are stuffed with HFCS and all manner of other fillers (not that HFCS isn't put in just about everything that you could possibly think of =\ )
...who knew that food would become so scary?

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

LauraJane
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Laura
Denver CO
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile
Ugh, this is so depressing! I really wish everyone even knew how bad HFCS really is (people just don't know or care!!!). Changing its name is just ridiculous to me! But really not surprising at all. This is how the horrible ad/marketing industry is. Who cares about the future of our health, as long as we can make more money with cheap (and poisonous) ingredients!

Its up to us farmgirls to help our friends/family stay away from this stuff and push towards the wholesome stuff. (I have decided that I'm going to start making my own homemade ketchup instead of the store bought stuff.)

Laura Jane

Farmgirl #2005
"May you be happy, may you be well!"
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  10:37:25 AM  Show Profile
I've seen a lot of commercials on TV lately telling us that HFCS is just the same as sugar or honey and that dietitians and nutritionists agree. Talk about corny propaganda!
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  2:42:51 PM  Show Profile
I was JUST discussing this with a friend (she decided to do an argumentative college research paper on the subject and came to me for help). I get updates from the Ban HFCS group on Facebook and saw this article, so I did some of my own research. I also saw one of the new commercials.

Point 1: How can they say "Whether the sugar comes from beets, cane, or corn, it's all the same, all natural." I did the research.... HFCS is not all-natural, it's created from a chemical process and does not occur in nature. At first, the FDA and another public food organization agreed with this. Then the FDA gave in and decided it to consider it natural. But, 7-Up went through a lawsuit because they claimed "all-natural" and put it on the front of their can even though their product uses HFCS.... they lost the case. So I don't believe these claims of theirs, that HFCS is the same as beet and cane sugar... yes it ORIGINALLY comes from corn. BUT.... there is a chemical process involved, so it's NOT the same.

Point 2: I read the manufactures of HFCS don't even officially have permission to use the name "corn sugar" yet. Yet they are advertising it as such?

Point 3: I read sales of products using the stuff has been on the decline... hmmmm. Coincidence that they are changing the name? I don't think so. It's all a marketing scheme. But, in a way, that's a good sign. Means more people ARE opening their eyes to this stuff and not buying the products. So maybe we farmgirls are making a difference by sharing what we know and have learned. Keep it up! Maybe we can eliminate the stuff all together! Maybe companies will take Hunt's, Snapple's, and Sara Lee's lead and go the route that is better for the consumer, not the company.

Ok, I'm off my soap box.... :)

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  08:44:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rebekah! And Elizabeth, I love your soap box! Stay on top of it girl! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  10:55:25 AM  Show Profile
The sad thing is that most people don't even think about what they eat, or read labels. This is why I try to cook from scratch as often as possible. After a whole summer of working 50+ hours per week, I'm down to 30 hours per week, so a new goal of mine is to wash dishes every night (except for the nights I have class) and try to bake bread at least once a month!

From-scratch food using fresh ingredients not only TASTES a million times better, but it's better for you.

People don't have to think about food ALL the time, but they should think about it when they buy, at the very least. "Corn sugar' not withstanding.

P.S. Anyone remember those "not nutritionally different from sugar" commercials they played a while back? Makes me think of Big Oil and Big Coal commercials. Ugh. Time to take our food back, ladies!

Okay one last thing - I'm watching the tube right now, and one of those PopTart commercials came on. Is anyone else seriously disturbed by those things? And the way they link their product to a quasi-magical childhood glow of happiness and parental reward through highly processed sugary dreck?

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

applesaucemom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rebekah

37 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  10:34:02 PM  Show Profile
It is so heartbreaking to say that diabetes is a billion dollar industry, and because of that, HFCS will never go away and the politics involved with the FDA cracking down on them are going to be tricky.

my blog: www.applesaucemom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9397 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9397 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  04:50:27 AM  Show Profile
cheaper for them to make better business for the healthcare industry. Do you feel like we are on a treadmill in this life as far as big business is concerned? All of it is connected and working together even if they aren't trying to.

Making more of my own and buying locally organic when at all possible.

farmgirl sister#43
"All you need is faith, trust and......a little bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  3:59:29 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone else here watched the documentary King Corn? Yikes !! We need to read every label on everything.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  10:29:22 AM  Show Profile
I hear you, gals! I suppose all we can do is try to take care of ourselves and spread the word....

I have watched King Corn, SusanScarlet... another scary thing is I learned from another documentary, The FUture of Food, that the industry is trying to downsize labels, what is put on labels, which will make it that much harder to know what we are consuming!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic HFCS by any other name Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page