neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  6:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone had experience with children accidentally eating polk berries? My grandson ate a few this evening and I'm worried. The poison control center didn't seem to concerned, and I've been researching it on the internet but not much luck other than they are poisonous and can cause severe illness.

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  6:51:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Anita. Years ago when my kids were little my youngest ate a few of them. It scared me to death! I called PC and they said to get Ipecac syrup and make her drink some so she would throw up. So I had to go to the drug store and get it and she drank some. I had to go to work and my husband stayed with the kids. He said she threw it all up. She was always getting into something.

If PC didn't seem too concerned then maybe it's not as bad as I thought. I don't even know if they make that Ipecac stuff anymore. I hope he's ok now. You never know what these kids will do. One time she ate some elephant ear plant. Burned her mouth bad. Strange kid. But the other day my heifer was eating some. I was cutting honeysuckle and weeds off the fence and she was eating poke berries before I could get to them. And she's fine.

I would make sure he drinks plenty of water.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  6:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, the poison control center said not to make him vomit, we think he only ate three or four. He enjoyed picking blackberries and raspberries with Papa along the woods edge this summer, so when he was out playing he found the polk berries and I'm sure thought they were the same berries he enjoyed eating with his grandpa. I guess time will tell tonight if he gets sick or not, so far so good, let's hope he gets through this without a trip to the emergency room !
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  6:04:14 PM  Show Profile
No problems at all, no illness, so we are all relieved. My husband disposed of all the plants to reduce the risk of it happening again.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  7:35:34 PM  Show Profile
I was going to ask how your grandson was today. I'm so glad he's ok. Yep, I would do the same thing. Get rid of them!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Polk Berries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page