Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Lovin' it! New Pictures of My First Garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Lovin' it! New Pictures of My First Garden Next Topic  

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  8:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! I am just loving this whole gardening thing! Below are some new pictures of my garden.

G'Night,

Tejasfarmgirl

Sweet corn & canteloupe! Yum!

My sweet Coo Coo! (short for Merci Beaucoup)

Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans!

Green Peppers

Wee little watermelon! Isn't it cute?

Zinnia

Edited by - TejasFarmgirl on May 31 2006 8:49:50 PM

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  8:51:49 PM  Show Profile
WOW!!!! What a great plot you have!!! Looks awesome.
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  8:52:36 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely gorgeous!! You can sure tell you're from a warm climate. I planted Kentucky Wonder beans too but mine are still starts! Hope they look as good as yours! What did you mulch with?

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on May 31 2006 8:54:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  9:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
i cannot believe how far ahead your garden is!! It looks wonderful! my corn is about 3-4 inches tall!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  9:44:56 PM  Show Profile
Wow!! We have had freezes the past three nights! I planted my beans YESTERDAY!!! How fun to be so far ahead of the game. Of course we will still have fresh tomatoes in September too..I have to keep telling myself that!
Beautiful pics! Lovely garden!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  02:28:38 AM  Show Profile
Your garden is gorgeous and I love Coo Coo. What kind of dog is it? My garden is just in too. The only thing we have ready to eat so far is lettuce.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  11:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
WOW, WOW, WOW DAWNN!!!!!! Now we just must have lunch again so you can bring me some garden goodies! Haha... Seriously, that looks gorgeous!

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  11:44:18 AM  Show Profile
Did the Garden Fairy wave her wand over your garden or what!? It looks fabulous. We did not put one in this year as the soil was a bit "sick" last year and we are trying to remedy that. Hopefully next year will be better. I love your fence around yours- so cute. You must truly have green thumbs!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  11:49:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks all! Laura - Coo is a Wired Haired Pointing Griffon. She is sort of a rescue dog as the breeder couldn't take care of her (and her 20 other dogs) after Coo couldn't have anymore litters. She is a wonderful friend- very sweet- we have had her about three years. She is definately "my" dog. She never leaves my side when I am at home and I never tire of her following me around.

Lacy -definately! Well talk!

Karin - usually I have two black thumbs- I have never had much luck with house plants. The organic amendments I did when I planted the beds must really be doing their job! Check back with me in late July - the Texas heat will definately make it work much harder than it is now.

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  11:58:52 AM  Show Profile
Ahh, I should have recognized her! We have a griffin who visits us from time to time while he's out on his morning, "man about town" run. He's also very sweet and so far hasn't shown a taste for chicken which has kept him in my good graces :).

Rescues are the best dogs.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  12:08:58 PM  Show Profile
wow, its beautiful, big and colorful. You go farmgirl!!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  10:18:53 AM  Show Profile
Hey Dawnn! You're garden looks amazing! Can't believe how far along it is. Your furry friend is mighty cute too. Now, tell me again, how do you get done everything that you do? You are like "Superwoman."

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  1:56:45 PM  Show Profile
Your garden is amazing. I just planted mine over the past two weeks (I was tempted to do it earlier, but I'm glad I didn't because we had an overnight frost just before the recommended date). But even in August, I know my plants won't be that big and productive. I can grow things in my semi-shady yard, but it's just not the same as full sun. Especially full TEXAS sun. Is this where Texas gets its reputation for being the biggest and best?

Amie
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  5:23:04 PM  Show Profile
WOW, your garden looks great. Can I garden in Texas and live in Oregon???

My tomatoes are about 2 feet tall at the most, and my peppers might be about a foot tall. I was just admiring my first tomato flowers this morning. I hope my golden midget watermelons take off like yours.

Thank you for the wonderful inspiring pictures.

Tammy

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  6:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone! I would love to see pictures of your gardens! I am always interested in how others do it- rows, beds, pots, whatever! Tammy -Golden Midgets? Have you planted those before? Did they turn out?

Hey Rebekah! Where have you been? Superwoman...not quite. I tilled the soil and made the beds during a week off work for spring break and then put in the fence. I really have not done that much to the garden...just started by researching and using only plants that are on a Texas Star list kept by Texas A&M (plants that perform well in our heat and drought) as well as adding 2000 lbs of compost, some other goodies and mulch, mulch, mulch! With the heat already (102 today) the drip system and mulch are critical. It looks great now but in July it will probably look fried to a crisp!! The best thing about the garden (besides the great tasting veggies) is how excited my kids are. They couldn't wait till I got home from work today to go over and pick beans.

Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  07:18:34 AM  Show Profile
Dawnn, Where is the world did you get 2000 lbs of compost? Wow! Did you shovel it all? Sounds like Superwoman to me. And you built the fence, too? And, the mulch...what are you using? What has been your biggest challenge so far for your garden? Sounds like moisture will be one of your future challenges. This is your first garden, right? 102, now that's uncomfortable. Take care...hydrate yourself and your plants.

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  12:46:17 PM  Show Profile
Dawnn, the garden looks great, you did a fantasic job and good girl for mulching, makes all the difference! You grow girl!!!! The photos are just wonderful too!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  6:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Dawnn,

Your garden is beautiful! You have it laid out great. I say WOW too. We are only just now able to plant where I am. Congrats!

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  9:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah - the compost came in 50 lb bags so that was 40 bags! The corn is over 8 feet now and we harvested our first batch this weekend. The Silver Queen was wonderful! The Kandy Korn variety did not have fully formed rows -pollenation problem I think. We also have cucumbers coming in now and they are wonderful too. Canteloupe is almost ready and of course the beans, acorn and yellow squash just keep on coming! I am going to need more recipes for yellow squash!

Has anyone had luck freezing it?
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  12:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
You grow girl from one Texan to another!

Ok, if you baby the tomato plants and squash, through this summer they'll go back to producing this fall for you. Sometimes you can replant corn, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, and definitly squash the last week in August to the first week in September and get a fall crop. Make sure you choose early varieties.

When I had time for the garden I did just that. On the upper Gulf Coast we don't get our first frost until November and never have a bad one for the winter veggies. Your first frost can definitly be sooner up by the Big "D" Fall corn can be iffy though....needs tons of water when it comes up.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  1:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kim - we will be planting a second crop late in the summer- we staggered our corn by 4 weeks so we will have 6 harvest. Our frost date is November 15 so we have lots of time to plant winter veggies as well. What about Melons? Have you had luck with a fall crop of those?
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  07:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Dawnn,

We never tried a second crop of melons. I would think you would have to plant the first of July to take in the heat the first of September because they love the warm weather. By October we are getting too cool at night for the warm weather crops. I also know our melons started to burn in mid to late June due to the 93 + heat. I'd give one mound a try and see. You would need a early variety. We did cantalope and watermelon.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  08:00:45 AM  Show Profile
wowzer .. you are so far ahead of me and my garadens gurlfren! i have some tiny tomatoes and zucchini that self-seeded .. and i hadn't even 'prepared' the soil yet! soon's this pneumonia is over and i can swing a hoe .. i'm gonna' get out there and plant some already established plants that i get from the nursery. LOVE your gardens!

xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  6:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Frannie. Get better! I just can't believe the taste of fresh organic veggies. And so simple to prepare a wonderful meal-tonight was a salad made from yellow pear and roma tomatoes, basil, green beans (steamed and then chilled), fresh mozarella cheese, and vinegrete-yummy!!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Lovin' it! New Pictures of My First Garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page