quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  12:54:58 PM  Show Profile
We go through a lot of ketchup in our home. Not sure exactly how we do but we do; about 2 ketchup containers/bottles per month. I would like to make some of my own and I have 25lbs of tomatoes that need canned. The problem is that I really want to make a good ketchup. I don't want to waste 25lbs of tomatoes, not to mention my time, on something that my family doesn't like. The recipes that I have found for canning call for way more ingredients than what is in our regular ol bottled kind.
Does anyone have a tried and true recipe that they'd be willing to share? I'd be forever greatful! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  1:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Well, if you get a chance look on the website kissmyspatula.com, I made and preserved some and my family loves it, now I'm a diehard Heinz fan and probably always will be as far as french fries go, but I have experimented with three different ketchup recipes, all are unique and personal taste guides you as to which ones you like best with which foods. What tomatoes you don't use up for ketchup making, try some tomato juice, we absolutely love it, and use it in winter to make homemade tomato soup, so good. Good luck !
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Serious ketchup help please! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page