Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Anyone Redoing a Farmhouse?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Anyone Redoing a Farmhouse? Next Topic  

twigs
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

tiffany
lacie ky
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  3:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Send twigs an AOL message
just wondering if anyone here has been redoing their farmhouse?
we purchased the 1800's general store in the hills of ky and turned it into my gift shop home decor with some primitive antiques in there. we also bought the early 1900's house beside it that was built for the shopkeepers of the town. well it hasnt been redone since it was built so we have gutted it out.

we start MONDAY on reconstructing it. i am doing it very colonial primitive style and just wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas on how they did their farmhouse.

im wanting a kitchen fireplace and wondering if anyone has one?

any advice would be appreciated
twigs

May you be surrounded by the things of olde that make you feel like a treasure!

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  4:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Yep. About 8 years ago we moved into an 1870's farmhouse that my great-great grandfather built. It has been in the family since then, but had been rented out for the last 30 years. It was a disaster. So, for the past while, that's what we've done. It's really quite finished, but there are always some finishing touches - a lightswitch plate here, a moulding there... We did all of the work ourselves, except the roof and the carpet, so it's taken a while, but I absolutely love it. Can you describe "colonial primitive" style for me? It sounds interesting, but I don't know what it is.

I'd love a kitchen fireplace. Mine is in what we most affectionately call the "stove room" and is located right in the center of the house for heating. Aren't woodstoves/fireplaces wonderful? Would you be using yours for cooking?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

twigs
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

tiffany
lacie ky
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  7:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Send twigs an AOL message
this is the style im going towards http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9401961&uid=4432446

this if my friends ruth rochelles house and it is to die for...... and here are some other sights for some good primitives.

http://www.simplegoods.net/about%20us2.html

http://www.simplegoods.net/about%20us3.html

twigs

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  1:28:38 PM  Show Profile
tiffany,
we added on to our late 1800's home a couple years ago. All but the actual kitchen was handmade by my husband out lumber from a 1910-something barn - even the floor used to be the old hay mow floor

this is how it turned out:
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com/kitchen

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  7:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Twigs-

I dream of an old farmhouse - just like my grandparents had in Iowa, or like the old German Texas farmhouse in the central part of Texas. We are redoing a 70's house into what I am calling Modern Farmhouse = we gutted the inside and added beadboard to the walls in the kitchen and several of the other rooms. Eventually we will pull off the ugly no character brick and side it and add a metal roof.

I think a fireplace in the kitchen is awesome - like a Keeping Room. Keep us posted on the renovation! I would love to hear more about it!
Go to Top of Page

vtharvestfolkart
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

doreen
West Pawlet VT
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2006 :  06:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Send vtharvestfolkart an AOL message
Twigs. I love an old farmhouse. Congratulations on your great purchase. Mercantile Gatherings, they have a website and a magazine, have wonderful primitive colonial decorating ideas. If you are looking for some folk art to put into your home....just let me know....i am a folk artist. I just made my first extreme primitive doll (finished her yesterday)....my other stuff is primitive...but not as extreme. Take care and best of luck with your home.....i have always wanted a kitchen with a fireplace and a stairway to the upstairs...the old kitchens use to have them. I have always loved that. :)

doreen

Please take a look at my folk art. http://www.crowsoup.com/Market1137.php

"IT'S GOOD TO HAVE AN END TO JOURNEY TOWARDS....BUT IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT MATTERS IN THE END"
Go to Top of Page

vtharvestfolkart
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

doreen
West Pawlet VT
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2006 :  06:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Send vtharvestfolkart an AOL message
Cyndi. Mullers Lane Farm is fantastic. I love your kitchen and great room. Your site is excellent. Very helpful. It is clear you love your way of life. I will be visiting your site often.

Take care
doreen

"IT'S GOOD TO HAVE AN END TO JOURNEY TOWARDS....BUT IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT MATTERS IN THE END"
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  12:39:43 PM  Show Profile
I wish we could redo our kitchen in our 1930's house, not in the budget yet, but I'm sure to get some neat ideas here, love the photos of the farmhouses, keep us posted for sure! A fireplace in the kitchen would be my wildest dream!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

twigs
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

tiffany
lacie ky
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  3:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Send twigs an AOL message
thanks Doreen, so glad you like mercantile gatherings magazine, im the editor and writer for it.......and it is great to see folks loving it soo
ill check out your primitive wares, for im a designer too and always looking for goodies for my shop and home.
twigs

Go to Top of Page

vtharvestfolkart
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

doreen
West Pawlet VT
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  2:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Send vtharvestfolkart an AOL message
Hello twigs.....i had no idea when i posted that comment that you were involved with the magazine. :) As you are aware then.......Mercantile gatherings has many, many ideas for a colonial home :) It is a great magazine. I would love for you to check out my primitives. take care. doreen

Go to Top of Page

Kate Talley
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
27 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  9:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Libbie,
I didn't know you lived in your ancestral home! I love that. Good for you. Nowadays so many people just don't care about preserving the past. Just think of the time and energy your family members put into that home.

During your remodeling, did you run into trouble with anything toxic? Like lead paint etc?
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  9:34:15 PM  Show Profile
Kate - it's true - I LOVE my home. It has such a good "feel" to it. I am just so fortunate to be here. You know, I'm sure we DID run into some toxic things - the house is SO old that I can't imagine that there weren't places with lead paint, etc. During our remodel time, luckily we were diligent about wearing masks for sanding and being careful with dust. Also, one of the great things about the timing was that I wasn't pregnant during any of that remodeling time, and that's what I would worry about most. By the time my little one arrived, everything was covered by fresh coats of "safe" paint.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  06:23:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm not redoing a farmhouse YET but I have always wanted an old farmhouse and God willing I will have one. I know this may sound weird to some people but I don't want an old farmhouse to turn around and make it new & modern. My sister bought one in S. Jersey and it's all modern w/ no knowledge of it ever being an older farmhouse. What is the point?? Why not just buy a newer (not brand new) house to do that/ I guess it's me but I want my older farmhouse to resemble a farmhouse. If you walked INTO my mobile home, you would think you were in a farmhouse. The whole inside resembles one, especially the kitchen. I've got old hand cranks everywhere ( I use them) old tins, herbs hanging from my kitchen ceiling, a butter churn, spinning wheel, roosters, my kitchen chandalier is a wagon wheel, washboards on the walls, tins for dried herbs etc. I love my kitchen so much. If I can't have my old farmhouse YET, I make this one look that way, it helps!!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Redhen
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Moe
Illinois
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  1:47:18 PM  Show Profile
I love farm houses! I live in one which thankfully had a lot of work done to it (electric, a/c, drywall) before we were given the opportunity to buy it. And fortunately they didn't remove the character. They refinished all of the wood floors and kept the old kitchen cupboards. Westernhorse, I know just what you mean, so I guess I am weird too. We don't have any fireplaces. Love the pics of your kitchen, Cyndi. I will have to explore your site a little further! As for primitive, I love to use primitives in my home too. I would say my home is more cottage-prim. Good luck with the remodel!

....I don't believe we're in Kansas anymore.The Wizard of Oz
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  1:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Cottage-prim. A new term. I love it!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

scarlin3
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Susan
Kirkville NY
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  5:30:00 PM  Show Profile
We're redoing an old farmhouse! We searched for a year before we found it, and most of our friends just shook their heads when they saw it. My father calls it "Tara" (probably Tara AFTER the war!)

It is in upstate NY and is called SugarBush Farm after the stand of maples on the property. It was built in 1803 and a later addition in 1853. The original owner was a land surveyor and as compensation he was given a land grant and had to build a dwelling and farm it within 5 years in order to keep it. The original structure was built in the late 1700's, and was gone by the time we bought the house.

We're the first non-family owners of the home. Many, many people looked at the house with an eye toward dividing it and converting it to a 2 family home (the house has 2 front doors - the original 1803 door & the 1853 door...and yes, we have the original skeleton keys for both!). The owners however wanted to see the house restored and a family live there...and we fit the bill (well, we didn't have children when we bought the place!)

About 7 years ago we were featured on "If Walls Could Talk"....it was very exciting! When we gutted the kitchen (it really needed it) we found old maps wallpapered on to the plaster & lathe walls and then covered by sheetrock. We found a map of NYS in 1853 and had it restored. We also found old letters in the attic (amidst the racoon poo) as well as some old printing stamps of when the house was an inn.

I could go on and on about all the neat things in our house (and it seems I have!). We have tried to preserve the past while living in the present and for the most part I think we have done a pretty good job of blending both.

Susan
Kirkville, NY
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  6:21:46 PM  Show Profile
Susan your farmhouse sounds wonderful to say the least. What a history it has!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  05:02:32 AM  Show Profile
We are redoing our farmhouse also. We have a 1820's New England, Adams Colonial.( Big white New England type ) I would love a kitchen fireplace but we did not put one in. I think the house tells you what needs to be done. Our home in this region would not have been "rustic". The post and beam construction has been covered with plaster walls etc. The walls in the front sitting room are curved in the corners.
It has been 3 years and we just got to the second floor this Spring. The kitchen still is not finished because I won't replace something that still works, so the stove, dishwasher etc. are from when we moved in.Until they die we can't finish the cabinets and counters correctly.
I love it and am at peace everyday I spend here. Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  06:55:44 AM  Show Profile
We do not live on a farm, but our house is definitely a farmhouse. When it was built it was surrounded by a cherry orchard back in 1912. We have lived in our house now for 9 years. We are slowly redoing it. We are trying to stay within the original "flow" of the house, not adding things that would be too modern or out of place. We decorate in a 30's/40's type theme, but stay close to the farm style. Nothing too fancy. We put in red oak floors, there were no hardwoods in the house. We chose a grade 2 flooring, which is not a clear oak, but has some discoloration and flaws - which is in keeping with the age of the house. We have added crown mouldings where they were missing and should have been years ago. We have put in light fixtures that are reproductions of early 1900 fixtures. We have saved and restored our solid wood doors. Next on our agenda is to redo our upstairs bathroom. We do have a clawfoot tub, which we will keep. We already replaced the toliet getting one that is styled after a 1920's version. We want to put in the "honeycomb" style floor tiling and use subway tiles for a shower. I want it to look like someone might have added the bathroom in the 20's. We are lucky because we have good resources here in Portland for recylced and reproduction house parts. Someday we will have the whole house finished, but I think that is still at least 5 to 10 years off.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

scarlin3
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Susan
Kirkville NY
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  08:45:29 AM  Show Profile
We just finished redoing our kitchen floor. I came home from a meeting one night to find some peel & stick tiles missing from in front of the fridge...DH wanted to see what was underneath. "It's just plywood" he says. I say, "Well, they may have patched the floor there with plywood, but I think there's a hardwood floor underneath" Next morning he gets out the circular saw & cuts a 1' square chunk out of the floor....sure enough hardwood! We then spent the next month tearing up the existing flooring which consisted of: peel & stick tiles on top of red and black tiles which were glued on with a tar-like substance on to plywood which was nailed to the original floor!

The original floor is hard MAPLE!! No cheap pine here! And of course, no subfloor...just tongue & groove boards nailed to the joists...sigh. We just had it refinished this week & the floors are absolutely gorgeous! No stain, just sanded and sealed. There's a lot of variation in the floor & I love it...of course, I have natural hickory cabinets in there as well....nothing calm about me!

Our dining room floor was also hard maple, but narrow boards. It unfortunately was not salvageable (very warped & many holes that were covered with plywood so you wouldn't fall through to the cellar!). We put in a new oak floor & recycled the maple flooring into wainscoating in the dining room. The DR had a few spots of wainscoating & we were able to complete the whole room with the flooring.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  5:42:19 PM  Show Profile
we did restore a old farmhohse and may i say if murder was legal WELL one of us might not be here.lol. was a beauty and i miss it so .my soul is old we now live in a cabin in the woods on 10 ac.VERY PRIVATE but i hope to move to another old house in a year or two.we did put 200 yr. old carrage house floors in living room. REAL WIDE . I PUT AN ADD IN PAPER AND GOT THEM PRETTY CHEAP.put a door from rev. war times in my kichen and nothing else but old suff. STILL want my old house. randi
Go to Top of Page

wvtracy
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Tracy
Stephens City VA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  5:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Twigs, you are a lucky, lucky girl to have two houses to restore. Our last house was an early 1920's farm house and I loved it. We painted the house in a pale yellow with white trim. Wood floors through out. Now I'm trying to make my 20 year old two story colonial more of a farm house. I'm even considering putting down a brick floor in the kitchen. The stock oak cabinets have been painted and a tongue in groove paneled ceiling is next. What fun!
Susan, I would love to see pictures of your house. It sounds fantastic!!!
Tracy
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Anyone Redoing a Farmhouse? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page