Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Bed Linens Next Topic  

Soggygranolamomma
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Kristina
CT
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  08:00:30 AM  Show Profile
This might sound weird but I really REALLY want to recreate an old fashioned "winter" bed for my cabin in the woods. :)

I think I read somewhere how to layer sheets, blankets and quilts to keep warm and look cozy and rustic.

I'm thinking along the lines of Laura Ingalls Wilder and her blue and white ticking etc etc. Except I do have a king sized extra deep mattress!!

Also, I'd love to find some already borken in quilts somewhere or some that are at least afforable! I have 5 twin beds and 1 king bed to prepare!!

Any suggestions? It'd be even better if the stuff was made organic or all natural, but affordable. Although I know those things never go together in the same sentence!

Thanks in advance!!

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeking out a simpler life

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  08:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Weird? Girl, I do this every year out of necessity! Lol! Here are the layers I have on my bed in winter:

Layer one: obviously, the sheets. Flannel are really nice in wintertime! But, my absolutely favorite sheets are 'sateen' sheets, which have the same thread count as nice sheets (200-300), but have a wonderful satin-like finish to them. They just feel glorious against your skin! No use in paying more $ for anything over about 300 count sheets, as those higher numbers are typically 'false'; it's 'creative advertising' (aka: stretching the truth) I can't remember how they get those higher numbers like 500-600 ct, but it's a sham.

Layer 2: 100% cotton blanket. Typically, you will find these in a waffle weave-like pattern. They are pretty cheap. I think I got mine @ Target, because the quality was a little better than other places.

Layer 3: What I HAVE is an old, run-of-the-mill fluffy comforter, but what I WANT is a really nice seasonal quilt here. That being said, I still do use a quilt when it is really cold, and I add this on top of the comforter to 'seal in' the heat. So, sometimes I use 3 layers, and sometimes 4.

What you want to do is layer several thinner layers, topped with a thicker outer layer...just like you would with clothes in the cold. :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Soggygranolamomma
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Kristina
CT
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  5:13:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! The sheet thing is that it's "double ply". So 300 count twice. 600. Creative huh?

I have a fairly light weight synthetic down blanket on our bed. I'll add some flannel sheets on all the beds and a cotton waffle blanket. I have quilts on 3 of the kids beds. Oh and great-grandma just sent them all crocheted afghans they have at the foot of the bed for those really chilly nights! Oooooo cozy!!

Now off to search for preparedness stuff for winter in the mountains! This is my first one up in my dream house and when they get rain down the mountain, we get ICE!!

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeking out a simpler life
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  09:53:43 AM  Show Profile
Yes, that's right. I couldn't remember how they got those inflated thread count numbers! I love afghans! i have made a few, here and there. They are so cozy.

I am preparing for winter, too. We're INSULATING this year, and gonna put in a new heat pump system. Hate it for the price, but love it for the heat/security it will offer over our old system! :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Bed Linens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page