arenecombs
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Andrea
McKee KY
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  6:48:53 PM  Show Profile
I am getting ready to install my first clothes line. From scratch, I don't even have clothes pins right now. So I am reaching out to the wise women of the forum for advice. What do you use for poles? Wire or cotton line? Wood or plastic clothes pins? If you could do yours over what would you do differently?
I have an unlimited amount of space and a nice budget. Any advice will be appreciated.

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  8:57:40 PM  Show Profile
Cotton line and wood clothes pins I like the ones with ridges for the grip. I love mine and usse it daily.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  9:01:43 PM  Show Profile
I have used trees in my yard, which worked really well cause it gave me over a foot of space between the lines. I used cotton lines, but really, really wished it had been the plastic coated wire ones. I have to tighten them every few weeks. I bought wooden clothes pins, which are very cheap dollar general, so replacing them every few years isn't bad, the plastic ones are very expensive, but do last longer. The wooden ones tend to leave little marks from the wood on your clothes, so hang them inside out. I'm not too sure about the plastic ones.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  9:25:02 PM  Show Profile
How exciting --truly!! I absolutely love hanging up laundry. It's therapeutic for me. I love hearing the birds, feeling/seeing/hearing the wind & *love* knowing that my laundry is drying for free, by God's beautiful sun and breeze. I can't give any advice re: clothesline as mine is an umbrella style that I keep up year-round. It's a coated wire, I think. I haven't had to adjust it and this one's been up in all the weather for over five years. Re: the clothespins, I wouldn't do anything other than the spring-loaded wooden ones for the mere fact that they're the ecol choice (can recycle the metal & the wood just breaks down). I think they're pretty when they're painted or colored on, too :-)

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com

Edited by - Mama Jewel on Aug 16 2010 08:49:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

katrina
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Katrina
The Dalles Oregon
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  06:53:24 AM  Show Profile
The only thing I will change about ours is that the lines aren't level. We tied the to trees, then hooked them to the house. Unfortunately, where we tied them is a foot or so above where they attach to the house, so the clothes always seem to slide.

www.WorkOfArtCreations.com
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  06:59:32 AM  Show Profile
Only thing about the plastic line coated wire is it gets dirty probably from acid rain, you will need to wipe it down once and a while. The wood cloths pins will leave dirty marks also, good idea to turn cloths inside out when hanging. When I wash sheet I put cut up paper towels between sheets and pins to stop dirt marks.
Jill Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  10:57:09 AM  Show Profile
My clothes line is just hay ropes between the trees. I intended that would only be temporary until I got 'real' clothesline, but it's served me well for several years and I've got no reason to change it now. :D Enjoy your free dryer and the beautiful sunshine. :D

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."
Go to Top of Page

Jackie Ferri
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Jacqueline
Trumbull CT
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  7:20:50 PM  Show Profile
I've used a retractable single line for years and decided to upgrade. So my husband and I hung up a five line retractable clothesline that runs the length of our deck. Because it's retractable the lines shouldn't get dirty. I wasn't too diligent about this with the single line unit. I never leave out my clothes pin bag and wood pins, so they always stay clean and I never get marks on my laundry.It is lovely to see the laundry sway by the wind. And the laundry dries very quickly!

Farmgirl sister #1664

Resourceful Creative Organized Mom
Go to Top of Page

LauraJane
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Laura
Denver CO
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  8:49:25 PM  Show Profile
I found some bamboo clothes pins at the grocery store (Kroger) and I just LOVE them. They are really cheap (but strong!) and they're green cuz they're bamboo, Yay! I don't think I'll ever use my dryer again, well until it starts snowing - maybe not even then. Its so nice living in a dry climate (Colorado). I used to live in Missouri, it takes forever for something to dry in that humidity!

<3
Laura

Farmgirl #2005

May you be happy, may you be well!
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  08:41:21 AM  Show Profile
i like cotton line and wooden clothes pins

our greatest glory is not in never falling but in getting up every time we do (confucious)
Go to Top of Page

PilgrimSoul
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Jessie
NJ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  12:45:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad this thread exists! I want to put up a laundry line, but wasn't sure what route to take. I'm considering getting an umbrella unit.
Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
Hamilton, Morrowville ontario, Kansas
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  11:09:27 AM  Show Profile
I got bamboo clothes pins at our asian market. They were SOOO cheap...(200 for 1.99!)
For those of you using cotton...what kind of line is this, and where do you find it? How long do they last? I put up a coated wire one, but I do have to wash it a lot. I'm going to put up a second line as I often do all my laundry in one day.

Corrabelle
http://themayberrysparrow.com
A Kansas gal living in Ontario. Sigh.

Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  5:41:05 PM  Show Profile
oohh, bamboo! I'll have to keep an eye out for those. Love bamboo!

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  08:37:46 AM  Show Profile
I have plastic coated wire lines to hang my clothes on and I love them. My clothesline is actually an unused pergola in my side yard. It has five lines and holds a ton of laundry! Just a quick wipe with a damp cloth every now and then keeps them clean. I do use wooden pins- I just put them in a clothespin bag and take them in when I'm done. I don't have any problems with them at all. They still look new and I've had them for two years!
Have fun with your new clothesline!

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  2:11:40 PM  Show Profile
I also line dry our laundry when the weather cooperates. I have a small back yard so there weren't many options for hanging the line. DH attached one end to the back porch and then cemented in a wooden post to hold the other end. I love the line but don;t make the mistake I intentionally made because of the lack of space- I had to hang the line over the garden so that limits where I can place taller veggies or flowers. I use wooden clothes pins and keep them in a basket by the backdoor.

In the winter I dry many things on a set of clothes bars in the livingroom in front of the gas fireplace.

Lida
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  01:50:37 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 ugly rusted washing poles in my garden. CAN"T get them out so....I am still thinking about painting them pink lol. Looks way nicer that way and since they HAVE to be there...better enjoy them haha. I hang up my washing with plastic pins sorry....can't find the wooden pins anymore, they are all plastic here yikes. LOVE me some wooden ones but alas.......so better use the colorful plastic ;)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  7:36:42 PM  Show Profile
My neighborhood will not let me have a cloths line so I strung three lines in my garage and with the temps being 100+ the clothes dry fast. I also can not have gardens in the front, but I put two raised beds with veg. and a few zinnas for the flower beds. YOU CAN NOT STOP A FARMGIRL EVEN IF SHE LIVES IN A CITY.
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  7:41:36 PM  Show Profile
I used to have a clothes line, then I moved in with my honeybunches....and we didn't have one. He just installed one for me, an upside down umbrella looking thing (all I wanted was the standard run between the t-poles) - I was reluctant I admit, due to the fact that I love to hang out my quilts and the umbrella thingy isn't very big....but the solution is to simply fold the quilt around to the other side, like you were bending it...no problem at all. I just wish the towels were a little softer!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  09:06:39 AM  Show Profile
I use our umbrella one for quilts & king-sized comforters & yes, it works wonderfully to wrap them around the other sides :-) As for making the towels softer, using vinegar in the rinse (either in the dispenser or in a Downey ball) works wonderfully!

Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  09:37:01 AM  Show Profile
We set up a new clothesline at our house over the weekend and it's been overcast and rainy since. Oops, I jinxed us!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  10:16:55 PM  Show Profile
I have a "removable" clothesline. I screwed a metal eye hook into the garage wall as high up as I could reach, and then I put a sailor's cleat about two feet below that. Then, in a tree all the way across the yard, I screwed another metal eye hood into the trunk, also as high up as I could reach. I tied a snap shackle to one end of the clothesline, stretched it back to the garage, and threaded the other end through that eye hook and wound the remaining clothesline around the cleat. When not in use, I wind the whole clothesline around the eye hook and cleat on the garage wall. To use, all I have to do is stretch the line across the line and snap the shackle onto the eye hook in the tree. I can put up a whole load of clothes or one bed's worth of sheets, but it does have to be propped up in the middle with a long pole when the clothes are really heavy.

Suzie, props to you for coming up with ways to circumvent your homeowners' association rules. I'm not normally an anarchist, but I HATE homeowners' associations! It's my position that it's MY house, I pay the taxes...if I want a bathtub filled with flowers in the front yard, then by golly, I'll have one!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  12:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Well you all I have been hanging clothes on the line sence I was a child now I am 56. Early in life when we did not have a line we hung them over the bushes to dry. Well my clothes line is on the T post made of metal. With 4 lines of plastic covered wire. I wipe my lines off every time I hang clothes out and I never leave my clothes pins out side or on the line. I bet some of my pins are 30 years old. Now and then they do break. If they only come apart I put them together wash them off and put them back in my pin bag. Which by the way is a apron I made just for the pins. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  2:06:44 PM  Show Profile
I have clothesline envy.

Edited by - Littleredd on Sep 23 2010 2:07:08 PM