5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  3:39:39 PM  Show Profile
We have heard wayyyyyy toooooooo much about this year, anyone know more, or can explain why oyr world is soooo fixed on this date?

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~~**Terri**~~~

http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  4:07:40 PM  Show Profile
Yeah I don't know. I guess humanity becomes fixated on disaster (plus disater movies always sell). I'm not worrying about it.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  4:43:35 PM  Show Profile
Something about Nostradamus and other so-called visionaries predict the world ending in 2012. I forgot what date...I need to put it on my calendar LOL! The naysayers and the doom and gloomers don't have nothing on us farmgirls. It reminds me of the Y2K thing, a lot of people worried and getting prepared for nothing. I am only doing what I am doing not because of some catastrophy, but because I want to be more self-sufficient and eat healthier local food. I also enjoy the satisfaction of making things with my hands and making do with what I have.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  6:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
The Mayan calendar ends in 2012. If I remember right the date is December 21st. I don't think they actually believed in a massive destruction of the earth and all in it, but rather a new beginning. I think there was also a tribe of Native American Indians and I think the Chinese? who also looked at this date as being important. I caught some show on the History channel one night that nothing else was on.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  7:53:24 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, you are correct on the date.

Diane, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Sometimes, I think, "bring it on", I would love to be able to take a yr off and be a fulltime homesteader. My hubby lives, eat, breathes (ok most of the time) preparation. I feel like I am gaining skills for whatever may or may never come. Just learning to take care of ourselves in a healthy, local, sustainable way. It just makes sense.

~Amy~ THE BEND IN THE ROAD ISN'T THE END OF THE ROAD UNLESS YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE TURN

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  8:32:12 PM  Show Profile
I am going on the assumption that if the world is going to end then there will be nothing left. Why bother to prepare? I think we are closer to something like the Great Depression than we are to the earth blowing up so I think the way all the ladies on the forum live will help them get through something like that.

I am like Diane and am prepared because this is the way I want to live and enjoy being self sufficient.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  8:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Anything can happen to any degree. I think we farm-minded women are several degrees more prepared than most.

~Amy~ THE BEND IN THE ROAD ISN'T THE END OF THE ROAD UNLESS YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE TURN

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  11:55:12 PM  Show Profile
Its the London olympics!

We've spent so much time and money on it - if the world is going to end it better do so when they have finished! Lol

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  08:18:02 AM  Show Profile
Hmm, I was thinking it was Dec 23, but what's two days with a big to do looming. Mythought...can more!!! (ok, so maybe I don't have that much space)

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  08:28:36 AM  Show Profile
My grand daughter will graduate in June 2012. That's the most important thing to me about it lol! There have been doomsdayers since the begining. I agree if the world did come to an end, why bother to prepare? I do like the new begining theory though!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  10:06:22 AM  Show Profile
I thought the Mayans moved from their teachings and they haven't found where they went to next.....I agree, we are near the end of america the way we knew it, I am becoming more and more self sufficient. Did anyone catch Tony Robert's twitter about hte worse is yet to come? He says have 2 years of stockpile. Great, more canning to do for me....

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

LauraJane
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Laura
Denver CO
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  10:32:54 AM  Show Profile
I really don't think the world is going to "end" on 12/21/12. I DO believe that around that time, there will probably be some sort of rebirth or renewal. Probably something that will make us be more aware of ourselves and our impact on Earth... although that's sort of already been happening. Who knows..? Maybe aliens will visit us! Just kidding

Laura

Farmgirl #2005

May you be happy, may you be well!
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  11:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I hope there will be some nice alien farmgirls in that visit. LOL

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  5:34:45 PM  Show Profile
lol....

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  5:50:50 PM  Show Profile
By gollies, I remember sitting around the kitchen table on December 31st, 1999, playing a knock-down-drag-out game of Monopoly and when that old clock struck midnight, I was the most disappointed person anywhere, cuz the damned world was still the way it was. I was hoping against hope that we'd get a major wake-up call and we'd all have to depend on ourselves and the love of others for the rest of our lives...and then some.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  7:28:18 PM  Show Profile
The Mayans believed that everything ran in cycles, some lasting many thousands of years. The 2012 simply represents the end of a cycle. I don't believe the date Dec. 21 has any significance but I do believe the Earth is entering a new cycle--and simplicity and self-suffiency are two of the driving elements. Big corporations seem to think they can rule the world, but i see them as eventually crumbling under their own weight. Unfortunately, big corporations have such a hold on America that some Americans think we can't survive without them. It may feel like the end of the world to a lot of people, but maybe it's more of a new beginning. We can hope.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  07:19:22 AM  Show Profile
The date is 12/21/12. The Mayans carved the calendar on a rock. The rest is all speculation at to what they believed as they vanished. But, if you think about it if they were carving it on a rock there is only so much space for them to carve. There is finite space on a rock. That date is probably just where they ran out of space as the space is full. I do think we are heading into a shift in our reality. I believe we are looking at change as we have recently moved in to the age of Aquarius and out of Gemini. I time of spirituality, community and caring. That is what I am hoping will happen. If the world is going to end then I am with those of you who say "Why Prepare". I just want to go quick if that is what is going to happen.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  5:39:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Farmgirls! Self sufficient is GOOD!!!! Canning, dehydrting, making from scratch, what us Farmgirls are all about,,yyyiiipppee!
good conversation.....

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~~**Terri**~~~

http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LauraJane
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Laura
Denver CO
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  10:17:33 PM  Show Profile
I completely agree with you, Cindy! (And I really love that Gandhi quote)

Laura Jane

Farmgirl #2005

May you be happy, may you be well!
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  2:30:07 PM  Show Profile
The way I see it... even if nothing actually happens in 2012, I think there is still going to be some kind of chaos beforehand. I have no idea what to expect. So why not be prepared for anything, right?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  06:34:33 AM  Show Profile
I was always taught that no one would know the day that the world as we know it will end and the second coming will be real so I am automatically suspicious of anyone who says they "know".

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  09:45:56 AM  Show Profile
i thought audrey wrote the funniest thing: we're closer to the Great Depression then the end of the world...! i don't know who she is but i have to love her......gave me the biggest chuckle!!
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  09:51:00 AM  Show Profile
It's time for a re-birth as far as I'm concerned! I'm sick of: 'celebrities', 'reality' shows, sex-thrown-in-your-face, laziness, Congress/bad government, taxes, new feminism, and general negativity.

maybe we will go back to the power of Family, God, Fellowship, and self-sufficiency??? Sign me up.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  11:29:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking that 2012 is when the tribulation period will begin.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  11:47:17 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, sign me up too! You said it all.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  9:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
What ever happens I am leaving it in the Lords hands. He is the only one who knows what will happen so until till then I am going to live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it. :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic 2012 ??? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page