urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  10:53:34 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering what folks use as a simple first aid cream or ointment, the kind you would use for simple cuts or abrasions. I haven't really used those otc antibiotic ones in years, but now with my RA I find that a simple cut can get rather red and nasty quickly if I am not careful. I was using a "bee balm" that had a variety of unidentified essential oils in it that worked well but it's now used up and I cannot track the maker (I got it in a swap). I know how to make lotions and balm but I am not so sure what would be the best EOs to use. Any suggestions?

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  11:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
liquid vitamin E works well. Found any where you find vitamins. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  4:23:57 PM  Show Profile
Neosporin always works well for me
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  7:19:47 PM  Show Profile
My top salve: plaintain and comfrey oils (infused into olive oil)mixed half and half, then add beeswax to solidify it. add lavender, chamomile or other skin EO. clears up just about anything. or if you can get your hands on propolis and make oil out of it, then add beeswax to solidify. The only thing you have to be aware of when using propolis is that it is a bee product and if you're allergic to bees you can't use it. ditto on the beeswax. but you can always substitute soy wax for beeswax. You may already know that, sorry if I'm giving you info you have.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  9:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Rhonda, I have been meaning to research a bit EOs to do a beeswax balm type thing but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I have comfrey oil here I infused, and dried plantain, but maybe I need to infuse some oil with the plantain. Do you infuse the propolis like you would an herb? I have never used it but I know some about its properties. I think I can get my hands on some locally, too. I almost bought some at the farmer's market this summer but wasn't sure how I'd use it so I passed it up....

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  8:34:02 PM  Show Profile
I had a very bad burn, put honey on it covered with a band-aid. Once it started to heal and was not as raw I put vit E and tea tree oil at night. Worked very well.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

NVSunshineGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Susan
Reno NV
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  8:44:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by urban chickie

I was wondering what folks use as a simple first aid cream or ointment, the kind you would use for simple cuts or abrasions. I haven't really used those otc antibiotic ones in years, but now with my RA I find that a simple cut can get rather red and nasty quickly if I am not careful. I was using a "bee balm" that had a variety of unidentified essential oils in it that worked well but it's now used up and I cannot track the maker (I got it in a swap). I know how to make lotions and balm but I am not so sure what would be the best EOs to use. Any suggestions?

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart

Go to Top of Page

NVSunshineGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Susan
Reno NV
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  8:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Try Berts also lavender and melalucca oils help with healing.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  9:03:19 PM  Show Profile
I have never put honey on a burn, but I have used bulgarian lavender EO neat on a severe burn twice. I had a second degree burn years ago and so I sort of know how they act, and I swear that one of these so treated burns should have been a second degree burn but I never even got a blister, that's how well the lavender worked. I couldn't let air on it for several hours after the burn without intense pain, but even before I removed the ice about 40 min later, I had put the lavender on it. Reapplied a few times several hours apart too.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

NVSunshineGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Susan
Reno NV
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  9:15:10 PM  Show Profile
also the 1st aid burn cream by johnson and johnson works great too! hope you heal quickly and the pain from the RA is handled well.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  09:07:10 AM  Show Profile
Up here in the frozen north, I freeze burns immediately and usually do not blister. For first aid cream plantain is good with a bit of honey. Smear it on and cover it for a bit.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  09:09:22 AM  Show Profile
One other thing that is painful but keeps things like cold sores from lingering is to rub regular salt into it. Salt will burn bad stuff out and let healing begin.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  01:54:29 AM  Show Profile
aloe vera is great for burns I have about 10 plants that I keep for that & for mild injuries..works good for animals also...I also have a great 1800's recipe on my blog site for marigold salve that I have been making for about 16 yrs. email me & I will send you the recipe since you make your own lotions ect....Michele' #2622

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

countrygrace
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Grace
Salkum WA
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  07:45:10 AM  Show Profile
I agree, aloe vera is great for burns & for minor cuts too. All great help here. Thank you Ladies.

http://home.earthlink.net/~daveandgrace/
"From Our Heart With Our Hands"

For quality handmade gifts at reasonable prices
Please recommend us to your Family & Friends.

Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  07:15:25 AM  Show Profile
I recently made a slave from olive oil, beeswax comfrey and lavendar. I use it on cuts, abrasions, and bruises.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  12:36:06 PM  Show Profile
California Baby, usually found at target in the baby section; has a really good calendula first aid cream. It really works great on everything.
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  10:45:18 PM  Show Profile
I use lavender oil on burns, cuts and rub in my temples when I have a headache. It is great!

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  6:07:21 PM  Show Profile
michele, could I have have ur recipe for the marigold salve. I have bunches of it I am growing and drying now... I have a new granddaughter that couls use it. I love anything from the 1800's...

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic First Aid Cream? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page