Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Ever been on an Amtrak train?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ever been on an Amtrak train? Next Topic
Page: of 2

rebekahj
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Rebekah
Santa Cruz CA
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  08:31:40 AM  Show Profile
My daughter and I took the train from central CA to Oregon. It was an experience I am so glad we had. It took us about twelve hours each way. We were able to see countryside that you wouldn't get to see driving on the highway in a car. There is seating on the lower deck of the train for disabled and older people. It is close to the bathroom and sometimes quieter than the upper deck. Usually roomier than the upper deck also. There is also an observation room with seating and huge windows where you can stretch out a little. It is next to the dining car. If you start to feel stir-crazy in your seat, it is fun to take a walk to the observation room. Have fun!

Urban Farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #2173

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  11:07:44 AM  Show Profile
My Train ride to Seattle was really a great experience last month also. Other than missing my train back because of a SeaHawks game. I didn't know they shut down all those roads for the game. And it was insane because the Train Station is right down in the middle of all that. So had to reschedule for the next morning. Next time I will be sure and check game schedules before I book my trip. LOL Other than that I loved the entire Train Experience!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  3:58:43 PM  Show Profile
One thing I've done before when traveling is to ship my clothes or bulky things by mail and then I don't have alot to contend with while in route. And again when I'm headed home if I have picked up things I mail them home so I don't have to carry extra luggage or have to pay extra for an additional bag on the plane.
I've about decided not to fly again and to maybe take the train if I can't drive. The roomette/sleeper car sounds good and asls the handicapp car. I've been trying to get hubby to take a train trip and rent a car when we want to sight see. I've always wanted to take a trip across the top of the US from east to west.
Connie

LULU
farmgirl sister #1369
"Scattered Prairie Gals" chapter

Take care and write soon.
When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  2:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Maybe we should have a "FARMGIRL EXPRESS"...it can start on the East Coast and pick everyone up along the way to the West Coast or we could take a detour and spend some time at MJ's farm? Wow, would THAT be an adventure!

I was lucky that Amtrax sent my bags on for us from Huntington, West Virginia all the way to Providence, R.I....if I had had to contend with two wheeled suitcases, my backpack, our purses and a 78 year old woman...it would have been a nightmare!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  7:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, it's funny that you mention a "Farmgirl Express." My husband and I took the Amtrak from Chicago to Spokane, Washington, just about a month ago. I didn't know it, but Spokane is only about 40 minutes from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho...and there is a MaryJane's Farm Store there! When I realized how close we were I put on my "please-oh-please-oh-please" face, and my big-hearted husband agreed to make the one hour and twenty minute detour to let me shop for a few minutes at the store. It was an unexpected highlight on our trip for me!
We could use the Empire Builder (which runs from Chicago to Portland, OR, or Seattle, WA, passing through Glacier National Park)...picking up Farmgirls along the way...rent a fleet van in Spokane...and arrive in Moscow in time for next year's 4th of July celebration!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  12:37:41 AM  Show Profile
Sounds good to me!! I am from Spokane (except for the last 25 yrs) but all my extended family lives
there. Last summer when I went home to visit...I too talked my youngest son in to driving me over to
Coeur d'Alene so I could shop in the MJF Store there. I loved it...just thought it was way too small!
Heard the Moscow Store is even smaller (oh dear!) but it would be fun to do her 4th of July Celebration
wouldn't it? Then maybe I could ride the train to Chicago will all of you that come from the East Coast. LOL

I guess if we can have a Virtual Porch on the MJF Forum's we can have A Virtual Train too! :+)

Blessings,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com
http://www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com/PeggySmithsStudio.html#
"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  12:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i used to travel between ft.worth and houston by train. amtrak.
it was fun and i really enjoyed it, but it was slow, which is usually okay for me. i can pretty much entertain myself anywhere so slow never bothers me.
the train staff was wonderful and had incredible stories. they put the service in the term service industry. i also enjoyed the folks who traveled by train. all in all i would definitely give it a thumbs up. if you can, would you consider taking pics and sharing some of the journey with us? so we can sort of travel with ya?
oh and have a great time.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ever been on an Amtrak train? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page