Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Ever been on an Amtrak train?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ever been on an Amtrak train? Next Topic
Page: of 2

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  08:43:40 AM  Show Profile
I'll be taking my first train trip ever in a few weeks, (along with my 78 year old mom.) I have no idea what to expect on the inside of the train. I know it won't be the Orient Express but I sure hope it's better than being in a jet on train tracks.....
We have a 4 hour layover in D.C. so if you've been to Union Station can you give me a heads-up about that also? I've heard it's quite nice.

Thanks in advance!
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  09:09:01 AM  Show Profile
... yep, I have been on them.. short term though. The train cars are very much like riding in a nice chartered busses. There is a snack car for buying snacks and I think an observation car.. on top level for viewing. I am not 100% sure though for I only have riden from Toccoa GA to Atlanta GA and reverse.... short trip.. two hours. I find them comfortable and you can walk around to stretch your legs if needed... yes there are restrooms available.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  1:51:14 PM  Show Profile
That is good to know. We'll be traveling for 24 hours with the layover. Couldn't beat the price. Two adults, round trip, 6 meals included for $484.00..Sit back and leave the driving to someone else...

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  2:06:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie. I've ridden in them, and Karrieann is correct. They are like nice transport buses. I've always found the train and cabin crew pleasant and either they bring 'round the snacks, or you can go and get them from the back cars. I've never had an unpleasant experience and it's great travel for the money

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW:
JUNE 6th 6pm EST "Coop" author Mike Perry!
http://therenegadefarmer.com/
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  3:13:09 PM  Show Profile
I've traveled on them twice, both fairly long trips. There are both pros and cons for me....

I like the fact that you can actually stretch out and sleep, unlike on a plane or bus. I love that you get to see lots of beautiful countryside that you don't always see on a bus.... I think the rocking and the train sounds are relaxing.

The food is a con for me... you don't get a meal, I don't remember even getting a free snack. The prices for the meals are outrageous. I'd suggest bringing your own snacks and food. Some train stations have food you can buy at the stop that seems more reasonable and better selection... I stopped at one in New Mexico once and there was a homemade burrito stand, so that might always be an option, too. Every time I've rode on the train, there have been LONG stops... for whatever reasons. So you might not always get to your destination on time. The last time I rode, my DH and I brought a lot of luggage because we were moving. There really wasn't anywhere for them to store it, so it was just out in the open. They gave us a funny look because we had more than most people bring I guess... so be prepared if you have a lot of luggage.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

PatienceBay
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Bay
Chicago IL
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  3:58:27 PM  Show Profile
I have traveled by train many times including cross country, to Seattle, West Palm Beach, Denver, Albany, and various short runs. The trip to West Palm had a layover in DC. At that time, Union Station was rundown but all of that has changed. The station and the surrounding area is very nice. You can even take trolley tours around the city originating from Union Station - quite nice - arrange it in advance if you're interested.

Hopefully you have a room on a sleeper car especially for your mom's sake. Trying to sleep in a coach car isn't always easy - you can recline, but not "curl up" as most of us like.

The food is expensive, but luckily you won't need too many meals on that trip. Taking snacks along is a good idea - pillow and blanket are also good ideas if you have a coach seat. Perhaps a deck of cards, a good book, music, etc. The people you will meet in the club car are always delightful especially late at night!

I used to try to imagine what it would have been like about 70 years ago during its heyday when train travel was a luxury.

Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the vista...
Bay

“The secret of patience is doing something else in the meanwhile.”
Go to Top of Page

BonnieBlue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

bonnie
amite LA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  6:19:41 PM  Show Profile
My Mom has been on Amtrak several times from Atlanta, Ga to Sildell, LA. The last trip she had a roomette with meals included in the price. They also have handicap rooms in the roomette cars, which have much more room. She really enjoyed her trips and met many interesting people. The people who work for Amtrak were very nice to her since she was traveling by herself and is 78 years old.

Have a good fun trip.
Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  8:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, thank you, thank you, you've all put my mind at great ease. Mom and I have decided to pack light. One big bag each with handle and wheels. She'll have a purse and I'll be sporting my favorite backpack loaded with purse stuff and snacks....I'm looking so forward to this trip. My 31 year old nephew is getting married, so there will be a wedding to attend. My twin brother paints portraits of all the lighthouses up and down the New England coast and has made arrangements for us to spend the day in his favorite one at Beavertail Lighthouse. Plus he's promised a Lobster dinner with all the trimmings and I have just got to find a quilt shop before we head home....can ya tell I'm excited?...lol....hope I don't get car-sick...er, train-sick.

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  10:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Debbie,
As a train lover, I want to know where you found such inexpensive tickets. For the past ten years or so, I have found it cheaper to fly than ride...and i would much rather ride.

I hope you enjoy the trip and festivites.

Corrine

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  11:05:20 PM  Show Profile
Train travel here is every day business. LOL I know our country is small, esp. compared to the USA. But I have traveled on a train SO many times I can't start to count ;)
I like it, it is easy, comfy, cheapish (here it is) and the train is a wonderful way to go from A to B. As I said, train travel here really is every day bussiness.....Same for the bus. I prefer the train for longer travels. When i lived in my growing up town mom, brother and I always visited my grandparents in the North, a 2 and a half hour travel. We took sandwiches with us, coffee-tea and lemonade were sold in the train.
Have a great trip :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Homekeepn
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Cathy
West Gardiner Maine
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  6:57:49 PM  Show Profile
Debbie... I don't know what part of New England you will be going to on your visit. I have taken the Downeaster Train (an Amtrak train) from Portland Maine to Boston and back a few times. It is a very comfortable ride with many short, 3-5 min, stops along the way. It does have a cafe car that sells refreshments not meals.

---Cathy---
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  8:16:17 PM  Show Profile
I've been on a four hour trip on one and we all loved it!

It was an adventure! It was clean. We rode on the top and the view was awesome. You might be able to get seats that have a table, if you wanted to play cards or something, that would be nice.

My two youngest daughters just very recently went on another train trip, again, 4 hours one way. They really enjoyed it and are planning another trip to a different destination.

Have lots of fun and enjoy it!

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  12:52:08 AM  Show Profile
I am going on my first Train Trip (Just under four hours) From Vancouver WA to Seattle WA in
a week and a half. I am as excited as a little kid. I have always wanted to ride on a Train.
Like you Debbie...I have no idea what to expect. Here in Vancouver we have the Tiniest, cutest
Little Train Station. I have dropped people off there and picked them up but never ridden myself.
I wish you luck and enjoyment...at least you have someone to travel with you...that would be more
fun even!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com
A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  01:12:49 AM  Show Profile
Like Dutchy train travel here is the normal way to travel any distance. I use trains several times a week and although more expensive here than the bus it is a far faster, more comfortable and relaxing way to travel. Also here for long journeys it avoids all the checking in at airports and you get to see the countryside as you travel.

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  03:33:11 AM  Show Profile
Violet, ALL our seats have tables, either on the side or in the chair in front, just like airplanes.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  04:50:56 AM  Show Profile
I've traveled a few times from Chicago to Southern California. With my kids when they were 2 & 5 at one point. We always ride coach. The sleeping rooms are way too expensive to book. My parents have had success getting a sleeper once their on the train (one that wasn't booked and they wanted to sell it out).

We always take a cooler with us. Snacks, sandwiches, drinks. The food can be expensive on the train.

We love that we can walk around and stretch our legs. We spend the majority of our time in the sightseer car. LOVE seeing the country from there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  2:52:55 PM  Show Profile
It has been many, many years since I was on one
my grandmother and I traveled from Va. to Ohio one time
we were going to go to stay with her daughter and her family for a couple of weeks
it was a night time and we had a good time .
hugs sheila

http://www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com/

http://www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  7:01:04 PM  Show Profile
I went to Temple, TX and back to OKC, OK to visit my daughter and grandbabies down at Fort Hood. Very relaxing. I took some books and a CD player with me, but then again, I was traveling alone. Loved it so much more than the 6-hour drive. The only thing I disliked is that passenger trains must yield to freight trains in this part of the country and that tends to slow things down some times.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  9:53:31 PM  Show Profile
Those train trips sound like so much fun! Now, I want to go on one.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  05:55:56 AM  Show Profile
I have always wanted to go on a train. Do you have to check your bags? How much can you bring with you? Coolers? big/small? I wonder if I can convience my husband to go on a short vacation by train. NYC would be good.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  07:32:30 AM  Show Profile
not much time, wanted to say the handicap car is very clean and comfortable and quiet usually. you need to ask to use it for your mom if you need to. take a blanket pillow and food. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  12:05:43 PM  Show Profile
You farmgirls have no idea how much nicer your trains are than ours.
have traveled by train in the Netherlands, UK and from Munich to Paris overnight. I love traveling by train in Europe but is like first class air versus coach on Amtrak
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  07:04:59 AM  Show Profile
Another question....

What do they do with your luggage when you get on the train and how do you get your luggage back when you get to your destination?

Someone told my mom that they don't except cash on the trains...is this true? A debit card will work won't it as I don't do credit cards anymore....

I feel like a country mouse going to the city...geez....

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  09:04:48 AM  Show Profile
If you have a sleeper then I would assume there'd be room in there for your bags but I can't say for sure. The times I went it was a shorter trip, only 4 hours, and there was a rack right up the steps into the train for bags and there was plenty of room for them...it could be different on a longer train trip. Every time I've been on the train they've taken cash, I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that...again, with it being a longer trip it could be different. lol...I don't know that I'm much help :)

www.theaprondiaries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PatienceBay
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Bay
Chicago IL
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  4:55:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi again Debbie,

I just took a train over the weekend and was able to pay cash in the snack car without any problems. Check out their website for much more information. Also, any time we had a room, our luggage was in the room with us. There is a section about carry-on and checked luggage on their website as well.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732517&cid=1241210579555
Of course you can call Amtrak for information. Whether over the phone or on the train, the employees are friendly and informative.

I'm looking forward to reading about how your trip turned out. I know you'll like it - it beats driving! Best wishes. Bay

“The secret of patience is doing something else in the meanwhile.”

Edited by - PatienceBay on Sep 16 2010 4:57:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  08:02:28 AM  Show Profile
Train trip to Rhode Island is over and I'm back to work. Just gotta say we had a WONDERFUL time...Seeing all the colors in the Mountains of West Virginia and Virginia was so beautiful. The seats were very comfortable, the staff on the trains were very helpful and courteous. One of the conductors even gave me erasers shaped like a train and railroad crossing pins to give to my grandkids. It took me a couple of days to get back my "sea legs" back, but all in all, I would recommend taking a train anywhere!

Debbie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ever been on an Amtrak train? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page