Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Looking for chokecherry recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for chokecherry recipes Next Topic  

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  2:14:25 PM  Show Profile
We went out to pick berries this last weekend and came home with over 22 pounds of chokecherries! We only picked for maybe 3 hours, I could have stayed all day long.

I'm looking for some recipes.
I've done a thicker jam, trying a jelly in a minute, but I do believe I will still have chokecherries out the wazoo.
And we are taking a friend out there this coming weekend. So I know I'll have more.
Thank you!!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  8:05:14 PM  Show Profile
Chokecherry syrup (recipe from extension office)
6 cups chokecherry juice
9 cups sugar
1 box powdered pectin
Measure juice into a large kettle, add pectin and stir well. Place on high heat and, stirring constantly, bring quickly to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Add sugar, continue stirring and heat again to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute. remove from heat; skim off foam quickly. Pour syrup into hot containers, adjust lids. Process pints for 17 min. and quarts for 22 minutes (at 6500 ft. you may be less if lower)
about 12 8 oz. jars
I didn't get a chance to make it this year, I picked chokecherries, made the juice and then got good and sick for a solid week, by the time I was back on my feet, the juice had mold and I had to pitch it. :-( no syrup for winter I guess, maybe next year! enjoy your treasure!
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  9:27:59 PM  Show Profile
Anna, the chokecherry juice can be frozen in zip lock bags. I freeze 4 cups to a bag and this is the right amount for my recipe for jelly. Then just take out of the freezer and use .
Elinor
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  06:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Thankx Anna and Elinor! I boiled up 6 cups last night, tied it into some cheese cloth (for a makeshift juicing bag) and left it to drip. I think I have about 4 cups of juice. But there is plenty more cherries to work with. :)
Thank you again!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  10:47:39 AM  Show Profile
I make chokecherry jelly and syrup to sell, and here are two tricks:

1 - add about 1/4 tsp of butter after adding pectin, to drastically reduce foaming.
2 - my secret ingredient is 1/2 tsp of almond extract per batch.

My darling grandma's good friend (also in her late 80's) ate some of my recipe with the almond extract and said it was better than any she had ever made. I only wish I'd come up with it!!

~TJ of Green Willow Place
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  11:10:14 AM  Show Profile
Alica,
Google Chokecherry recipes. Lots comes up.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  1:07:33 PM  Show Profile
Nancy,
I did google it. But I would rather ask for tips and tricks from fellow FarmGals! :)

Alicia
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for chokecherry recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page