Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 Pattern adaptation advice or help needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Pattern adaptation advice or help needed Next Topic  

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  10:49:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I have an old vintage pattern for some Alpine inspired dresses and also shorts with suspenders. I wanted to make the shorts with suspenders to wear to " Wurstfest" here in Texas, which runs about 10 days and ends Nov 7th.
As fate would have it, I can't find the pattern just now, but I found a similar one and the problem with making it would turn out to be similar anyhow!.
The patterns I have actually should fit my hip size. They are a misses size, but the waists seem child size. I got the pattern outand measured it once. The size I have is for 23 inch waist, 33 1/2 inch hip. It looks like it would have a finished waist size of about 26 inches. My actual waist is 26- 27 inches, so there would be no ease, and anyway, this pattern is meant for a smaller waist than I have in the first place!
What would I do to make more room in the waist while preserving the hip size of the garment? These have a zipper in the back, and the ones I can't find, do too.
Any advice or help is welcome! If someone out there does pattern re-sizing, I'm interested to know- as this is sometimes a problem with vintage patterns, and I am not confident about fixing it.
Thank you!
Mary LD

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  6:14:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Mary. I would just extend the cutting line from the hip up toward the waistband on enough of an angle to give you the waist size that you need. So instead of the waist being a bunch narrower than the hips it would be closer to that width. Does that make any sense?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  6:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it does. That was my thought- but I lack the confidence to give it a whirl!
I'll have to get out some less - than- valuable fabric, and try it out!
Mary LD
THANKS!

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  10:26:37 AM  Show Profile
Mary,

Even better, follow your intuition about the cutting line -- if you've made trousers that fit before than they should be a similar shape, right? -- but make that mock-up in cheap fabric and give yourself a 1" seam allowance. That way if you need to take it out you can.

Then once you have it on, you can take it out or pin it in as needed, move around in it, make more adjustments, and then mark the new seams where you want with a pen or washable marker (or tailor's chalk or whatever you like).

Then use the mock up as your new pattern piece. Just remember to add seam allowance when you cut out your fabric! You don't have to add zippers or closures, or finish the seams, or anything fancy when you do the mock-up and it just sew up easily! Have fun!

I used to sew in my university costume shop at and we made almost everything with 1" seams (2" at the center front and back seams). That way we could take things in or out for different actors and really extend the life and use of the garment. It's great if you can think of anyone else ever using it.

Enjoy Wurstfest!

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  10:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Also remember if it has a waist band to enlarge it the same amount.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Pattern adaptation advice or help needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page