Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 My DD age 6 wants a sewing machine-any suggestions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic My DD age 6 wants a sewing machine-any suggestions Next Topic  

craftylaughty
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Heather
Salem Oregon
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  10:50:06 AM  Show Profile
I was thrilled when Lucy asked me the other day if she could get a sewing machine, but I have no idea what kind of machine would be appropriate for her since I will be purchasing this for her birthday present when she turns 6 in November.

I am open to any suggestions or recommendations on good machines, features to be certain to get (or avoid). I imagine a good warranty, something that is easy to fix and get adjustments back to "normal". Classes? What price range? New or used? Is 6 years old too young?

Please a little guidance would be most helpful, Heather

Those who can laugh at themselves will never cease to be amused.

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  11:44:41 AM  Show Profile
First of all, in my opinion when they start asking to learn start teaching them. I put my daughter in hand sewing classes when she was 6. And by age 9 she took her first sewing class and made a quilt for her twin bed.
We continued in the hand sewing for years. She is afraid of using the machine cause she can't keep it straight enough.lol
So, I'd start with a nice machine you both can use. Do you sew now yourself? I'd find a class you could enroll her in and get their help and advise. Check your local fabric store.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  1:47:16 PM  Show Profile
I just taught my DIL to sew (age 20), she has a brother machine (the walmart cheepie) that someone had given her and that darn thing had the worst pedel I have ever delt with! So she used my machine when she could. The main reason she liked my machine is it has a speed adjustment on it, I can put it on high and speed right along and she could put it on low and work on keeping her seems straight. I started sewing when I was aprox 7 years old and still do today.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Red Headed Farm Girl
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Mary
CA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  5:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Heather,

I've taught all four of my children {two girls, two boys} to sew on my old Kenmore [Sears Brand] at around seven & eight years old. The twelve year old girl is now using my Babylock machine and serger.

If your daughter is ready I would say let her learn now.I would recommend against classes. They are way to slow for someone who wants to get in there and sew. Besides if she can read she can do it herself.Or Mom can read for her.

Children's machines are sooooo flimsy . A used machine[non- computerized] would probably be better, that way if she breaks a needle, drops the machine, plays with magnets around it etc. you'll be O.K. LOL.

Seriously, they feel better with the old machine because it's not a big deal if something breaks or jams.There is no sensitive computer chip to de-magnatize. Both of our machines have the ability to control the stitch speed and we use the low speed for safety.

If your mother , mother-in-law or friend have an old machine their giving a way, I would take it.Even a garge sale find. If you include a new sewing box with thread , seam ripper etc. she'll feel like she's a big girl.Once she's sewing well [without supervision] , purchase the good machine so she'll master that .You might be surprised what she'll do given the right tools !

Farmgirl Sister# 1975

"In quietness and confidence shall be your strength."
Isaiah 30:15
Go to Top of Page

craftylaughty
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Heather
Salem Oregon
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  09:45:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice. I will start trolling craigslist & keeping an eye out at yard sales for a good and inexpensive machine. She has been hand sewing and embroidering for the past year. I think the time is right to take it to the next level. Thanks for all your input :)

Heather

Those who can laugh at themselves will never cease to be amused.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  1:50:05 PM  Show Profile
I agree that you need to get a non-computerized machine. Kinmore makes very good machines and so does Riccar. Riccars are very sturdy and simple. 6 is not to young, I was 6 when I started sewing on my Mom's Kinmore. I started by making a coat for the dog then went to Barbie clothes. However, I would say that if you are going to teach her to sew or give her classes please don't put her into a HomeEc Sewing class in school when she is old enough. Those ladies really really don't like it if you already know what you are doing. My Mom, her three sister, My sister and I and two of my daughters were miserable in HomeEc and were treated terribly because we already were way ahead of what the teacher was teaching. I really believe in teaching girls to sew but be careful with those HomeEc teachers. Sorry if anyone out there teaches HomeEc but we honestly had a miserable time.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  1:43:24 PM  Show Profile
I think that most any machine would work. I do have to agree with Lillian though that a speed control would be so nice for a child that's just learning. I personally own a machine with that feature and would be thrilled for my daughter to use it. (Although she's only 2 so I think I have a little more of a wait!) You can find machines with that feature for less than $150.00. :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  3:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Heather, try posting a note at churches or markets telling that you are looking for a simple working machine for your daughter who wants to learn sewing. You may find a good deal from someone who no longer uses their machine.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  6:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I'm in agreement with the old machines are best! You can find them at Thrift stores, you might even ask them if one comes in to give you a call. Also posting or letting a Quilt Store know you are looking for a good machine for your little girl might be helpful. I'd tell everyone that would listen to me that you are on the "hunt"! You just never know who has one stashed and is not using it that would like to find it a good home!
Good luck!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic My DD age 6 wants a sewing machine-any suggestions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page