Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Favorite Book turned Movie Next Topic  

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  08:11:15 AM  Show Profile
Hey sisters! I've lately been reading a lot of books turned movies, and I want to know what your favorite book turned movie is, and which you liked better(it's obvious the book is always better, but some may disagree:)
Mine is The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. It is a semi-Christian book, it sends a good message, and it's a good read. I liked the movie, but they did change a few things from the book. Either way I liked the book better. Now what about you?
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  09:14:40 AM  Show Profile
I loved the Secret Life of Bees but I would have cast it differently. I would also have liked the Daughters to play more a part. I just didn't like Alicia Keys, but I also thought the others especially Rosaleen were too young. But I love the story. I wanted to see them spread the honey on Mary. It was very loving and spiritual in the book.

I also loved the Time Travelers Wife. It was hard to get into a movie format but it was good.
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  10:16:53 AM  Show Profile
I loved both the book and movie of: Secret Life of Bees; both BBC versions of Pride and Prejudice and the movie version with Kiera Knightly; A Room with a View; Howards End; Sense and Sensibility; Persuasion; Out of Africa; Like Water for Chocolate; Julie and Julia (actually liked the movie better than the book). I have yet to see the movie version of Eat, Pray, Love (mostly because I don't like Julia Roberts), and I hated what they did to Under the Tuscan Sun as a movie. I admit I liked the movie versions of some books better simply because they're classics that are hard to get through: Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables are two examples. My favorite book is Dickens Tale of Two Cities and I did see a reasonably good movie version of it once. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  10:29:35 AM  Show Profile
Dianne, years ago I saw a wonderful version of Dickens Tale of two Cities. LOVE the book but this movie was awesome, forgot when but it is at least 15 years ago.
I am too a fan of Dickens, my grandmomma's favorite book by him was Nicholas Nickleby :)She told me so often about the book, and when I was old enough to understand it, it became one of my faves too.
I like MOST movies made of his books as well as the books itself :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  1:53:43 PM  Show Profile
My favorite is "Fried Green Tomatoes". The book is "Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistlestop Cafe" by Fannie Flag. I loved both the book and the movie. I also like the book "Angela's Ashes", the movie version is right on spot with the book. I find that if I read the book first, I already have an idea in my head about the characters and find that the movie version actors are not what I had in mind. Good point being "The Bridges of Madison County". I read the book first and then when I saw the movie I liked Meryl Streep as the leading woman, but Clint Eastwood just did not pull off the artsy photographer that I had in my head. I think Robert Redford would have been better. I could not even get into the book "Eat, Pray, Love" so no reason to see the movie.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  3:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Diane, my Mom finds that seeing a preview ruins reading a book for her. She is a huge Nicholas Sparks fan, but when she had gotten around to reading The Last Song, the previews for the movie had already come out, and she was upset that she wasn't able to get Miley Cyrus out of her head! With Secret Life of Bees, I think that some of the characters could have been cast a little differently. I thought Queen Latifah should have been Rosaleen, Jennifer Hudson be June, and I think that maybe Halle Berry would have worked for August. But that's just my opinion!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  5:51:12 PM  Show Profile
Megan, I thought Queen Latifah would have made a good Rosaleen age wise. Halle Berry would have been a great August. I liked the gal who played May.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  6:05:03 PM  Show Profile
I've never seen a movie that followed the book exactly, but if I had to pick a favorite...The Wizard of Oz! the book really wasn't that great, but it made a wonderful movie. I used to watch it every year when I was young. i remember the movie more than the book.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  7:30:32 PM  Show Profile
I love the Chronicles of Narnia! The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was a perfect recreation. Prince Caspian was awesome. I can't wait for Christmas to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Farmgirl #1951
http://merryheartcreativeartsacademy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  7:32:23 PM  Show Profile
Robin, I loved the girl who played May! I really can't think of anyone else who could have played her.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  9:04:29 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Diane about "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe." That is my favorite book-turned-movie, too. The second runner-up is "Pride and Prejudice." I've only seen the Kiera Knightley / Matthew MacFayden version. It would be first, but I had a hard time reading the book. It took me a few tries to comprehend it.
Oh, but I forgot about "Anne of Green Gables," Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel," and the series of "Anne" books by L.M. Montgomery. That's another favorite, too (although the third movie was absolute crap and was completely unassociated with the book series).

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

Edited by - JessieMae on Sep 05 2010 9:13:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  10:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Jessie, you're right. Anne of Green Gables was great with the exception of the sequel. It was like they tried to create a whole new character, her values in the first three movies get thrown out the door in the Sequel. I love the Narnia's, too. The first one held close to the book and appreciated that. Emma and Pride and Prejudice were good, too. I loved the movie Julie and Julia, but haven't read the book.

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  11:33:42 AM  Show Profile
Movies that were AWFUL, when the books are WONDERFUL are movies made after the books by Mary Higgins Clark. I LOVE her books, have them all and re-read them often. Saw a few movies made after her books and disliked them so so much, yuck. They never follow the book, I remember when the character in the book is a boy, and they are hidden in a railway station(Penn Station if I am correct), the movie has a girl and they are hidden in an abandoned train somewhere !! THAT makes the whole bomb threat in the book just childs play.

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  11:55:07 AM  Show Profile
Dutchy, it is the same with the Hamish MacBeth series of books by M.C. Beaton and the associated t.v. show. I say associated because basically, other than the name of the title character and the fact that he is a policeman, they are completely unalike. Incidentally, one of the more recent Hamish MacBeth books, Death of a Scriptwriter was about a writer who goes crazy and becomes a murderer because the people who bought her book to make a t.v show from it change it so much. I wonder if it was inspired by true-life events?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  3:42:44 PM  Show Profile
Bridges of Madison County, liked the movie better because Meryl Streep she can play any part well. Clint Eastwood is Clint Eastwood but not a photographer type guy. Loved the visual of the farm land and farm house interior.

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Book much better then the movie, even the first movie with Gean Wilder. Book left much more for the mind to imagine.

Everything has it's time.
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  6:50:55 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I have to say that Fried Green Tomatoes has got to be one of the best ever. Great book and great movie. I'd also like to chime in about the Little House on the Prairie series. I know it was a t.v. show, not a movie, but I always thought they did a great job casting it and really keeping to the feel of the original books. And I don't know if anyone read it but Where the Heart Is was a good book by Billie Letts and they did a pretty good job turning it into a movie. I thought Natalie Portman was not going to do too well, but she actually fit the part nicely. Anyway, those are the ones I can think of right now that I've liked! Love reading about everyone elses!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
http://fabulousfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  8:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, I just watched Where the Heart Is today! Never knew it was a book, too! I'll have to add that to my list!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  04:26:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I forgot about that one! I read the book and really liked the movie too!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  05:29:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simply Ann

Bridges of Madison County, liked the movie better because Meryl Streep she can play any part well. Clint Eastwood is Clint Eastwood but not a photographer type guy. Loved the visual of the farm land and farm house interior.

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Book much better then the movie, even the first movie with Gean Wilder. Book left much more for the mind to imagine.

Everything has it's time.

YES to the Bridges of Madison County. The movie was better then the book because of the view etc. HAHA Clint is a good actor, in other roles ;)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  2:17:31 PM  Show Profile
I forgot about Anne of Green Gables (with Megan Follows) and Sarah, Plain and Tall (with Glen Close). Those were good too! Dianne

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  10:24:13 AM  Show Profile
I loved Out of Africa....the book and the movie, and I agree with whoevenr said they hated what they did to Under the Tuscan Sun. It was such a good book but I didn't like the movie version of it.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  6:54:05 PM  Show Profile
I loved the movie Chocolat. Read the book after and decided I actually liked the movie better. That's the first time I have liked a movie more than the book. The book was really good but the movie had some changes in the story that I liked. I think the author is Joan Harris and there is a second book the Girl with no Shadow which was a good read also.

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  06:23:37 AM  Show Profile
Legally Blonde would have to be my favorite. I love that movie. Elle is so classy.

I know everyone is going to groan when I say this but, Twilight made a good movie too. I wouldn't have picked Robert Pattinson for Edward. He doesn't look anything like I imagined. I only read Twilight because there was nothing else laying around I hadn't read. I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't bad. The series definitely gets better as it goes.

Most movies made from books stink. They change them too much. The Oz books were definitely way better than that movie. I really wish they would make a Dragonriders of Pern movie. The technology is there to make it right.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  08:33:03 AM  Show Profile
Liz, I didn't know that Legally Blonde was a book! I'll have to look into where it is in my library system...
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  08:43:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh..Liz, I agree with you about two things. I wouldn't have picked him for Edward either. And I would love to see some movies made from most of the books about Pern. They would be alot like Avatar.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  03:49:04 AM  Show Profile
Another great movie (subtle and beautifully filmed) was Memoirs of a Geisha. I loved the book too. Dianne

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Favorite Book turned Movie Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page