Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  6:35:26 PM  Show Profile
Anyone here with Celiac? I'm newly diagnosed, and while I'm glad to finally know the problem, (after 4 years!) I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. It's hard to change a lifestyle, we eat whole wheat everything and I've been making bread for my family for 14 years!

Anna

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  7:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Anna-
My MIL has celiac Sprue for the past 20 plus years! It was unheard of when she was first diagnosed.
Of course from now on everything you eat will need to be gluten free. My mother in law used to use a mail order for alot of her mixes etc called "Miss Robins". We are fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you look at it) to live near Stop and Shop grocery stores- nowadays many stores actually carry gluten free products. Lots of rice pastas and bread mixes etc. I will get some of the brands that my mother in law has found to taste the best and let you know. After all these years she has just about tried them all and has her favorites. Good Luck- it is a big adjustment for sure- but as you said at least now you know what you are up against!
Smiles,
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  7:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Anna, yes it can be very overwhelming and as I newly discovered I was gluten intolerant I understand. I cut the bread and baked goods all together, because it was almost harder to figure out what I could do and couldn't. There are a few discussions and some good recipes in these pages. My first focus was veggies, meat and a grain I could do, like rice, quinoa, pollenta, millet. The first three weeks were miserable because I was hungry all the time and did I mention fruit? I ate a lot of that too. cut up some veggies to keep in the fridge for munching. Go through your fridge. Things like soy sauce are bad so you have to find the gluten free ones.

Check out the Natural Food store website. there are articles and lists that will be helpful. http://www.naturalgrocers.com/health_article.php?topic=Gluten%20Intolerance

Best f luck
Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  8:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for the link to Natural Grocers. I spent 2 hours getting groceries last week, gave up and went to Natural Grocers to get a few things. I called my husband and said "Jackpot! This is where the celiac people live!" Everything was labeled so nicely and the prices were better than the regular grocery. The girl working in health and beauty could even tell me which toothpaste was gluten free for sure, it was wonderful! I guess I'm in good company, it seems like more and more people are getting diagnosed, so things may be getting easier and easier!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  7:21:46 PM  Show Profile
Anna, Glad you found t and it was helpful.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Celiac Disease Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page