Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mozzarella fail Next Topic  

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  4:38:59 PM  Show Profile
So I tried a batch of mozzarella and it actually came together beautifully, became stretchy and elastic and looked great. I was so excited to taste it, but my first bite triggered my gag reflex. :( It was so awful. The texture was perfect, but it just tasted like warm milk (not in a good way). What happened?!?!

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  6:11:06 PM  Show Profile
How sad! I can't help-I haven't made any yet. Did you need salt? Does it have to age at all? Will have to get my book out & look!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  6:19:48 PM  Show Profile
Molly, it sounds like it might need more salt maybe? I have a hard time getting mine soft. It tastes good but it's rather hard. And that's alot of milk too. What recipe did you use? And have you made it before and it turned out good?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  7:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Do you have hard water? The one batch I made of mozzarella was a disaster too, and our raw milk is too expensive to waste another gallon on a mess! Things I've been told by cheesemakers since, (but still don't plan to try again...) Hard water affects the cheese, and don't use the rennet you can buy in the natural food stores, it has to be the kind you order from a cheesemaker to get good results.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  9:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Molly,

Mine has always tasted okay but the texture has always been rubbery. I gave up on mozzerrella and stick with the chevre and the Queso Blanco!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  06:59:32 AM  Show Profile
Me too, Candy. That's too much milk to waste right now. I am only getting 3/4 of a gallon a day. And chevre is easier.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  12:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice, ladies. I think the problem was my impatience! My husband sampled it this morning (after it sat in the fridge all night) and he pronounced it delicious. He's not one to lie to make me feel good, so I tried a taste again and it was a thousand times better! Although I do think I will up the salt. :P

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  08:05:43 AM  Show Profile
hi molly, i make cow cheese. i always use distilled water for my milk products. the things in the water DO have an effect on the product. papa worked in a cheese factory for a few years a long time ago.lol hope this helps happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  09:20:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Molly! I would maybe "up" the salt, like you said, and then, if you want to go for it, there's an enzyme called "lipase" that's available from cheesemaking supply places that really assists in developing the flavor of mozzarella. Also - y'all - thanks for mentioning that hard water makes a difference - we have water so hard that you can practically cut it. I'll be sure to use distilled water for my cheesemaking from now on, too!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4235 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4235 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  07:28:41 AM  Show Profile
You can always sprinkle some salt on your shredded moz. It will soak up salt even after it is done being made. For flavor you got to add salt.

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mozzarella fail Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page