Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My New Favorite Sandwich Next Topic  

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  1:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
So, one of the girls at the Farmers Market was selling "Sprouting Jars" a couple of weeks ago. I have always wanted to try growing my own sprouts so I traded her some of my goat cheese for one of her jars. It sure is easy growing your own sprouts! Why didn't I do this a LOOONG time ago!

Anyway, my new favorite sandwich is some spreadable goat cheese and a big pile of sprouts on some nice whole-grain bread with a little salt and pepper! It is so very good! It also tickled me when I realized I made the cheese, grew the sprouts and made the bread!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  1:17:01 PM  Show Profile
Yum, you're making my mouth water! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  1:26:48 PM  Show Profile
A few weekends ago we went in to Amish country and a garden center/quilt store....SUCH a cool place....had sprouting boxes 1/2 price. I figured how could I go wrong with $5.00 spent??? I tried the chickpeas that came with the box (2 trays) but they were packaged 2009 and did not do well at all. Awhile back I read that lentils were some of the best things to eat sprouted so I have given them a try. WOW! They sprouted up fast and I just pull some out and munch away through the day. I need to try them on a sandwich or a salad but for now they are great straight up :-) Enjoy your sprouts!!!

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  6:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Candy, I would love to hear more about this. I have seen them and eaten them. But do you have to put new in every time or is it like grass and keeps growing? Tell me more! And your sammy sounds so good. Did you make chevre? I love it. I made some today for my DD's wedding reception.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  6:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I think there is a recipe in one of MJ's mags or books about how to do this.. Very easy
I did it with chickpeas, & sunflower seeds.
Anyone out there remember where I saw that recipe??
Alee?
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  9:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris,

The "Sprouting Jar" came with a packet of seeds that included mung beans, broccoli, and, oh I don't remember, lots of "stuff!"

Alee and Kris,

MJ's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook, has the instructions for starting sprouts. Once I "sprouted" the seeds, they were there (it made A LOT!) and I have been eating them for a almost two weeks now. Once they are gone, I will start a new batch. I do make chevre and I absolutely love it! Sometimes, I add dill or garlic and chives. If you can't find the instructions for starting sprouts, let me know and I will send you the directions and some seeds to get you started!

o

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  06:58:08 AM  Show Profile
There is a guy near here that was selling wheat grass at the market. I'd like to try that too. So now I need to look for the sprouting stuff. I need more counter space. I have kefir, kambucha, sourdough starter and kraut on the counters now. It's a fermenting kitchen. I need more things to put on the counters.

So the sprouts last a few weeks? Then you start a new batch. How fast do they grow?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  12:53:21 PM  Show Profile
hahaha @ Kris. Your kitchen sounds like mine, except I haven't the kefir going yet. Still need to find some local grains. The sourdough, sauerkraut & kombucha are all over. My kitchen smells like vinegar all the time and the fruit flies love it here! Made a fruit fly trap that a friend suggested but what worked for her isn't working for me. grrr! I plan on sprouting very soon. I have a packet of seed mix and was going to get a sprouting jar. Then I read MaryJane's Ideabook & now have what I need to get started. I think I'm just waiting for the kids to get back to school so I can have my days to create and craft my stuff. Next week perhaps.....

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  2:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris,

They grow REALLY fast!! I had tiny sprouts the next day and they were ready to eat in about three days! I have had mine for almost two weeks now and they are still good. It helps to rinse them every day to help keep them fresh. DH tried my sandwich idea today after poo-pooing it for a couple of days and he said "Hey, this is really good!"

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  08:54:34 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
Sounds yummy, I love sprouts. It seems like spours have not been used as much latley. You have me thinking about getting a sprout jar.

Line Shack Farmgirl #1570
Cynthia

Happy Trails
Go to Top of Page

Homekeepn
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Cathy
West Gardiner Maine
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  6:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know what kind of beans are used in chinese cooking? I make chop suey at home and I get the sprouts in the produce department. I would love to grow my own.

---Cathy---
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  6:28:55 PM  Show Profile
The bean sprouts in chinese cooking are mung bean sprouts. Very easy to do. I also love radish seed sprouts - they are spicy and peppery. Alfalfa sprouts are good, very grassy and fresh. I've been sprouting since the sixties when I was a full fledged hippie!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  06:12:33 AM  Show Profile
I am definetely going to have tp start this myself soon. And I am having a problem with thise darn fruit flies too. I hate them. I just stand there waiting to kill them. And I don't have fruit on the counters either! It's the kambucha. I have tried the piece of banana in a jar trick. It works ok.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  06:42:21 AM  Show Profile
I love sprouting, especially in January when I am hankering for some fresh greens. Very easy, lots of info on the net-http://www.sproutpeople.com/grow/sprouting.html http://www.sprouting.com/ Hope this helps!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  10:36:21 AM  Show Profile
Mmmm, yum! I would add a slice of fresh out of the garden tomato, and a slight smear of a good mustard, but that's me lol!! All of a sudden, I am hungry....

Kristin, I also had a problem with fruit flies in warm weather due to the kombucha. I swear they smell it a mile away! Unfortunately I do not have anywhere to do a compost pile, so I also have to be real careful about not letting fruit remains from the tibicos or any kitchen craps be available to those fruit flies, either. The only thing that has worked for me is to put kombucha in a jar fitted with a funnel. They fly in but can't find their way out. This summer, I never had more than one or two flying about at a time, and often not even that. If you put just a drop of dish washer (I use my liquid soap, that's ok too) in the KT, the flies will drown when they drink and you don't have to empty your catch outdoors but you do have to change it more often then. But it really works for me.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My New Favorite Sandwich Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page