star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  07:59:40 AM  Show Profile
I'm working on my Know Your Food merit badge and am struggling with the elimination of HFCS. I'm also reading the Omnivores Dilemma and am shocked in reading that and the food labels of stull I have at home with the number of items that have high fructose corn syrup as an ingredient. I'm starting to think that the only way to eliminate it is to make my own everything! Any words of wisdom out there from sisters who have earned this badge?

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

farmgirl sister #1927

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  08:22:46 AM  Show Profile
I haven't earned the merit badge but I know what you mean about finding HFCS in everything. I also feel the only way to get away from it is to make your own everything. Fortunately people are complaining and now Hunt's is making ketchup without it. I thing we as the consumer need to complain more.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  10:19:10 AM  Show Profile
http://www.stophfcs.com/list.html
Here's a great link with a list of foods that are HFCS free.

Farmgirl #1951
http://merryheartcreativeartsacademy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  10:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, so much!

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  11:00:32 AM  Show Profile
And here's a link to a longer list of foods that do contain HFCS:

http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php/2005/06/09/foods_and_products_containing_high_fruct

That junk is everywhere, and that list is just barely scratching the surface.

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

Edited by - Kevin on Sep 01 2010 11:05:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Yart
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

MI
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  11:01:29 AM  Show Profile
With most foods having HFCS and one of my children being adversely affected by it, I have had to become very creative. One thing you have to do is read all labels. Even if it is for something that you just know doesnt' have it. Like the other day I went to get a can of beets. Good thing I looked cause it was in there. I also make a ton of food from scratch now. Not that the family complains (much). To get away from fast food, I had to tell everyone that fast food did use 100% beef, but from what part of the cow.....(Liver) was on of the best beef items to be used because how else can you make a burger so small. So even now 6 years later we still don't eat fast food. Sorry I tend to ramble....LOL!

Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie. ~Jim Davis
http://urban-eco.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  1:20:52 PM  Show Profile
I don't have the badge either but we don't own one food product with HFCS in it and haven't for years. It is actually easier than you think. Simply by buying organic foods will eliminate that additive. If you can't afford organic "everything," buy what you can and simply do without the few other foods that have it.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  7:18:10 PM  Show Profile
It is shocking when you realize what it is in. Sugar, HFCS, oils, salt. They seem to be the 4 main ingredient in everything. I'm having to find a recipe for wostershire sauce, because it either has HFCS the main one, or the organic has wheat (which I can't do). I cook as much of my own as I can, but being on the road that gets tough. You never know what gets used in resteraunts and that is hard. Did they make their own sauce or did they buy pre-made?

Starletta I really enjoyed that book. you won't eat the same after reading it and that is a good thing. Good luck with your badge.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  08:46:32 AM  Show Profile
DH and I have been working to eliminate the stuff for a few years now... my trick is to replace something each year. It gets easier and easier each year.... I don't miss the stuff at all. I think that's one of the only tricks, to make your own food, if you don't want or can't afford to buy organic everything (I know I can't). I have replaced cereal (make my own granola), crackers (use MJ's recipe from one of her magazines!), don't buy chips anymore and hope to try making them someday. Make my own bread. I make these things in big batches so they last awhile and you don't have to make them all the time.... freeze them, too, to make them last longer. I know it's tough... I'm fortunate enough to be a housewife with no kids, so I do have time to make these things. But I remember when I did work, I'd cook things on the weekends. Make it fun, get the family, kids, friends involved! I also make my own freezer foods: perogies, runzas, tamales, to eliminate freezer dinners. In fact, that's what I'm doing today, making a big batch of runsas to last me through the cold months! Canning, too, is a great way to eliminate these things...

This year we were able to save up and buy enough natural pork and beef to fill our freezer... haven't found a way to do it for poultry yet, until we can raise our own.

Do it slowly... no need to rush it. After awhile these things will become easy to make and you won't miss the junk with HFCS in it. I've also noticed each year, as I replace these foods, I lose weight without trying... I've heard there's a possible connection to weight gain and I suppose I agree, so just another reason to ditch the stuff.

I haven't earned the badge yet, either.... I still need to replace hot cocoa and chocolate milk, but that's about it for me. I'm glad Hunt's has started making the natural ketchup. Ocean Spray is another excellent company who has done that, too.

Watch the documentaries "King Corn", "Food, Inc.", and "The Future of Food", all excellent for more information on HFCS.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Eliminating HFCS Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page