Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Made my first dress!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Made my first dress! Next Topic  

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  09:30:08 AM  Show Profile
My brother's graduation party was Saturday and I didn't want to spend so much money on a new dress (I had been browsing and they were all expensive). I decided to try a pattern I had bought a few weeks ago. I went to Joann fabrics but they had material which would end up costing the same as buying a dress. Then I tried Hancock fabrics and they had the perfect material...white background with big black flower print. Well I got my 3 yards for $6!

Friday, I started the dress. I was hoping it would turn out so I could wear it. Well little by little it came together and I decided to make it strapless instead of the halter design with the pattern. I also added black satin ribbon to the top and tied some around my waist in a bow. It looked great and my whole family thought I bought it! Once people at the party found out I made the dress (and made it without a machine) they were talking about it and complimenting me all night! This week I think I will try to find some more material and make a more casual dress. I am so happy it worked!!

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  09:53:26 AM  Show Profile
Doesn't it feel great to know that you can make such great clothes that fit better at a fraction of the price of new? Keep it up! I'd love to see pictures of your new dress if you can post them,
Annie

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
NEW blog: http://bramblestitches.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  6:54:41 PM  Show Profile
That dress sounds lovely! Congratulations!!! I'd like to see a photo, too. I am SO proud of myself when I make something that I really like - you definitely should be, too. Way to go!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  9:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
oh how wonderful nicole!! i have been waiting to make myself clothes until i can unpack my sewing machine (im in the middle of moving) i never thought of doing it by hand! what kind of stitch did you use! Post a picture if you can!! we'd love to see it!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  11:46:45 AM  Show Profile
Good job Nicole,

I love to create my own clothes. Isn't it just the best feeling!! Keep it up. I just created a purse from scratch yesterday. It took awhile and it's a prototype but I love making things myself.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  09:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you! I will take a picture today and post it for you ladies to see. I will probably be going to get more fabric today or tomorrow and starting a new one so maybe by Saturday I will have another!

Leah, I just used a regular stitch close together. Looks like - - - - Thats the only one I know. I've been teaching myself so if anyone knows a good way to stitch clothing, I am interested. I'll try to get the picture up today :)
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  12:39:04 PM  Show Profile
Nicole -- good for you for being so creative!!! Can't wait to see the dress. I haven't sewn clothes for years but have been thinking about making myself some comfy summer dresses! You rock!!!

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  1:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, I'm sooo impressed with your dress. I've been sewing forever but would never attempt to do a dress by hand! And you even did your own designing...You go girl

Teddie
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  1:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
ypu should really post a picture

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

vtharvestfolkart
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

doreen
West Pawlet VT
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  1:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Send vtharvestfolkart an AOL message
Nicole. Congratulations. dresses are hard. i just made my first wrap around skirt..and that took me awhile....good for you..can't wait to see it....maybe you have just started yourself a new business.

take care
doreen

Please take a look at my folk art. http://www.crowsoup.com/Market1137.php

"IT'S GOOD TO HAVE AN END TO JOURNEY TOWARDS....BUT IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT MATTERS IN THE END"
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  3:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Congrats! I would love to see a photo of it. What pattern did you use? It sounds cute! I'm just a beginner at sewing and hope to someday be able to make something I could wear. Potholders and simple things are all I have mastered so far.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Edited by - FlipFlopFarmer on Jun 02 2006 3:31:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2006 :  11:04:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies! I will be sure to get a picture up sometime this weekend. (Very busy) I will let you know the pattern I used too.

Doreen, I am actually going to start a small business. It will mostly be selling online (Etsy etc...) but I might go to craft shows and sell from home too. I will probably be selling a variety of things but skirts, dresses and kid/baby clothes will most likely be in there too! I will keep you all posted on how the business is going and I'll be sure to post my Etsy site too! And I will definitely get that picture up, as soon as I can get it taken! I promise!

And Carla, I am just a beginner at sewing too! I have only started a "quilt" and fixed some buttons before I tried this! So if you find a pattern you like, I say go for it! I wasn't expecting it to work but it was a lot easier than I thought. And if you have a machine you can probably get it done in 1/4 the time it took me!

Edited by - NicoleG on Jun 03 2006 11:07:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

vtharvestfolkart
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

doreen
West Pawlet VT
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  04:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Send vtharvestfolkart an AOL message
Nicole. Sounds wonderful. I will definately be a customer. Just let me know when you are ready.

Take care
doreen

"IT'S GOOD TO HAVE AN END TO JOURNEY TOWARDS....BUT IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT MATTERS IN THE END"
Go to Top of Page

vtharvestfolkart
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

doreen
West Pawlet VT
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  04:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Send vtharvestfolkart an AOL message
ANNIE:

YOU STUFF IN FANTASTIC....WHAT WONDERFUL TALENT YOU HAVE. I AM GOING BACK TO CHECK OUT MORE STUFF BUT I WANTED TO COME BACK AND WRITE A QUICK NOTE. TAKE CARE....IT IS WONDERFUL TO FIND SUCH A GREAT GROUP OF TALENTED WOMEN. IT IS INSPIRING.... DOREEN

Go to Top of Page

lovejanet
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Janet
La Canada California
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  12:43:01 PM  Show Profile
hi nicole,
congrats on your first dress, you will have soo much fun sewing. i'm in my own little world when i sew.
:)

love, janet
http://www.lovejanet.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  8:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Nicole!
I'd love to see it! I always have the worst luck with patterns! I get confused by them and most of the time end up improvising! I think the best article of clothing I made was without a cut out pattern! What brand did you use? I am so impressed that you stitched it by hand! Wow! I can't wait to see some of the stuff you're going to sell! I'd love to start a business like that, too! Good luck and I'll talk to you soon!

Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  9:08:49 PM  Show Profile
Good going Nicole!
Wear it loud and proud Farmgirl! I can't even imagine sewing without a machine. I'm very impatient, plus at my age, my fingers don't work quite so well, so I use my machines! PLEASE post a picture soon, I too would love to see it. It is an inspiration to hear of young people taking up a dying art like sewing, crochet and tatting! Good luck with the next dress. Isn't it fun and so exciting!!

Hugs,
Aunt George
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  08:37:16 AM  Show Profile
Well, I was trying to post the picture yesterday but for some reason the pictures wouldn't get off the camera! I am having my boyfriend help me out today so hopefully it will be up later today. I am so sorry to keep you all waiting! Thank you all for the encouragement!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Made my first dress! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page