violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  4:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi farmgirls, I was updating my medical information that I keep in my wallet the other day and the thought came to me that I should share this with you. When I bring it out the medical profession is always amazed that I did this. The main reason I did this was 4 years ago, I had Transient Global Amnesia. Thank the Lord I was at home with my husband when it happened. I had lost all memory, except for very few things for 10 hours. I knew my husband and kids. I had no idea what month it was, what year it was, who the President was. My husband took me to Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta, a hospital I am very familiar with, but I didn't know where I was.
It was very scary to say the least. I knew enough to know that something was bad wrong, but that's it. My Mom had died of a brain tumor at age 56, that was my biggest fear - so you can see I was thinking about something. I know it is very strange. Anyway all was well, all test were negative. The neurologist said it just happens some time, they don't know why. It could happen to me again. Some people have had it as many as 3 times that I know of. My girlfriends son has had it twice and he is younger than me.
It happened to my sisters neighbor, he left home at 8 am and returned home at 9:30 pm, has no clue where he was for all those hours. Thankfully he came home!
I pretty much lost my memory of what happened the week before the amnesia, but have remembered bits and pieces.
If I had been out, and not home, or something had happened to me, it would have been a very good thing to have that piece of paper I now carry in my wallet. It could happen to you - I had never even heard of Transient Global Amnesia until I was diagnosed with it.
Please take a few minutes and put down your medical info and put it in your wallet!
This is what is on my sheet: Name, address, phone numbers, emergency contacts. Drugs that I am on, drugs that I am allergic to, surgeries I have had w/doctor's name and hospital.
Tests that I have had done and results if pertinent
Flu shots, tetnus shot, anything you think could help the medical profession if you are unable to tell them the info they need.
Thank you
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  5:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, I have never heard of that either. Thank the Lord you were home. That's very strange. And that is a very good idea for everyone to have that information with them. Thanks for sharing this and I am so glad you're ok and I hope it never happens to you ever again. That's scary.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  7:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Ruth:
Good informative post. Thanks. I'll update my health information that I keep in my purse and car. Glad to hear that you are okay.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  06:41:09 AM  Show Profile
I keep a list of my daily meds and my husbands my cell phone along with emergency contacts.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Health Information Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page