Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 The best homemade furniture polish
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic The best homemade furniture polish Next Topic  

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  7:53:33 PM  Show Profile
I ran out of furniture polish last week and found a simple recipe for homemade. 3 parts Olive Oil, 1 part Vinegar....that's it! I put it in a clean, recycled spray bottle and shook it a little to blend before I used it. (Don't shake too much or you'll have Mayonnaise). Wipe with a soft cloth (old T-shirts or old socks work wonders)...This stuff is great and my wood furniture sparkles!!!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

Merry Heart Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Janet
Ackerman Mississippi
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  8:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Any kind of vinegar?

Have a great and blessed day!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  10:19:12 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try this - definitely! Thank you for sharing, Debbie! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  10:55:12 AM  Show Profile
Janet...I use White

It has been almost a week since I tried this and everything still looks like I just dusted it....cool....

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  06:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Debbie,

You are so right, it looks great! I've been using a similar formula for several months now - I add a drop of an essential oil to add a great smell, lavender or whatever I'm in the mood for. It also is a good wood floor cleaner, if you use 50% oil and 50% lemon juice. Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  09:17:21 AM  Show Profile
When I was a child the family had an antique furniture and cabinet makers shop in the French Quarter in New Orleans. My dad's secret recipe also included bee's wax along with oil and vinegar. He said that it helped the wood retain moisture.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  09:26:40 AM  Show Profile
Cherime,
Do you know what ratio of beeswax? I have some old wax that needs a use. Did the wax make it more like a floor wax or did it mix up as a spray?

Farmgirl #1951
http://merryheartcreativeartsacademy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LisaMarieYogaCowgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Lisa Marie
Hathaway Montana
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  11:43:34 AM  Show Profile
That is great! I use white vinegar for cleaning everything. This is just the best tip ever! :) Can't wait to dust!

Giddyup and Namaste Sisters!
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  12:27:40 PM  Show Profile
Dad warned the liquid and then shaved in the wax, not sure of the ratio. But be very CAREFUL on keeping the liquid warm while adding the wax. Bee's wax certainly can catch fire. Dad would saturate a cloth, flannel was his favorite and smooth the stuff on. Then let sit and hand rub. That is actually where the term "hand rubbed finish" came from. I also understand that linseed oil if actually as good as olive oil in this instance. Another thing for rough wood is to just rub the wax on and buff it into the wood. Smooths out cracks and stuff.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  12:46:28 PM  Show Profile
So, I've been using this furniture polish for a couple of weeks now and I gotta say my wood furniture and woodwork have never looked better. I thought I would speed up the dusting process by wearing a pair of cotton work gloves as my dustrag. I lightly saturated the palm of the glove and let it soak in. Then it was so easy to dust in tight corners by just using the finger parts. And you'll never believe this. Wearing the gloves made my hands look so nice. The olive oil softened my hands and the acid in the vinegar exfoliated my fingers. I got a manicure while I was dusting...I'M NOT KIDDING!!!
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  05:18:04 AM  Show Profile
Debbie,

So glad you mentioned that, nothing like multi-tasking!

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  2:09:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm about to polish all my furniture!! Do you know how long a batch of polish will keep? I don't want to make a whole bottle and have it start to smell.

Never been this excited to polish my furniture!!

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page

Italiangirl
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Terrie
ct
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  05:59:23 AM  Show Profile
And you use the left over and make a Salad. LOL> Could not help myself. Now I'm hungry.

100% Italian no addatives or perservatives
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic The best homemade furniture polish Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page