Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wal-Mart :( Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  05:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Last night I watched the documentary- Wal-Mart The High Cost of Low Price on Netflix. It really disturbed me and at the same time reminded just why it is I try to shop my local shops as much as possible.

Has anyone else seen this? It is interesting. I think I will finally watch Food, Inc later tonight.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  05:54:54 AM  Show Profile
no tell me more...

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  07:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Yes, that is why I have never and will never shop at Wal-Mart.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  08:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I've seen both food inc and the walmart one and both are very disturbing but also very good. I hope everyone watches them both.

Melanie, How did you like food inc? I was crying and very upset after I watched it. But it is very good and I hope everyone will watch it and find out where our food is really coming from.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)

Edited by - maggie14 on Aug 25 2010 08:21:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  08:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to later this evening.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  08:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Me too, Melanie. I haven't been in years. And have watched Food Inc. Very disturbing. That's why I grow and raise my own.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  09:44:37 AM  Show Profile
is this a video I could find on the web. I haven't seen it but am very interested to know what is going on.

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  4:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes, my husband and I avoid Wal-Mart. Luckily we live in a city where it is easy to be choosy. I know of many smaller centers where it is much harder to avoid.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  4:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Tell me where to watch it please. I don't want to patronize someone if they are doing evil things to succeed.

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

DNA doesn't make us sisters, Love does!

The road to a friends house is never to long!

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  5:46:13 PM  Show Profile
I have watched Food Inc. Very disturbing, and had me in tears in the first twenty minutes.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  6:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I found the Wal-Mart flick on Netflix, but you could try googling or even see if it may be on youtube. I would think maybe since it's a documentary it may be floating on the web somewhere. It's called-- Wal-Mart the High Cost of Low Price. The kids are getting ready to head to bed and I'm going to fix a light snack and watch Food, Inc.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  6:56:00 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, Food Inc. will change the way you buy food!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  05:57:23 AM  Show Profile
I avoid Wal-Mart at all costs, but in Food, Inc. they did show how Wal-Mart is getting into organics. I watched Food, Inc. this week, got my public library to get it for me on interlibrary loan. Everyone should watch this movie! Although I live in Canada, I'm sure our industry here is also controlled by just a few conglomerates, if you really know who owns who.

Unfortunately, the high cost of good food prohibits most of us from eating the best food. Example, my daughter was at work (at a grocery store) the other day and she wanted a healthy snack. Raspberries, $3.99 for a tiny container, strawberries $4.99. She went without rather than pay that...we live in a small town with one grocery store, so no competition, either.

I live on a beef farm and am lucky to be able to know what goes into our beef and how they are treated.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  08:15:40 AM  Show Profile
Well, I guess I should reluctantly watch these. To keep me on my toes.

I imagine the information will be similar to what I learned years ago, nudging me in my decision to live differently.

I raised all six of my kids vegetarian. Three of them remain vegetarian.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

PilgrimSoul
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Jessie
NJ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  07:30:16 AM  Show Profile
I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my Netflix list. I avoid Walmart as much as possible. There aren't many local mom & pop stores in my area anymore. Our local Agway had been in business over 100 years, and just closed up. So sad, but many folks around here just don't seem to care about buying local and shopping at non-chain stores.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  8:45:14 PM  Show Profile
I have seen it, and I think it's a great movie, too. Please excuse me on my soapbox here for a moment, but I think it's a good summation of why our country is ailing in the way it is right now. Everyone shops at big box stores (Wal-Mart is the easiest target because it is the biggest, but it's not the only one) to save 50 cents on toilet paper, and since locally-owned stores without massive buying power can't compete with that price, they go out of business. Small stores without massive HR departments and umbrella corporate policies generally make better employers because they have such personal relationships with their employees. Then workers are left with 2 options: relocate to find another job (and take your tax dollars with you) or go to work for the beast that killed you (and be "just another number"). The whole community suffers. I don't believe anything will ever improve until we remember to think about the good of the community first, before our own immediate needs.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  06:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
You're right, Jessie. I quizzed my kids the other day to see how many local shops they could think of in our town. They did pretty good except for they put the Dollar Store on their "local" list. They figured because it's a small store, it should be a local one. And I know a lot of us like the Dollar Store. I used to love going to the Dollar Store to stock up on stationery. But our store doesn't really carry the packages of cards and pretty papers anymore. And I have noticed their jewelry is on recall more than any other store- lead paint and other nasty stuff.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  07:41:47 AM  Show Profile
The Future of Food is another good movie (made in 2005ish) that pertains to what's happening now. It discusses "owning" the seed and the destruction of little farms by big corps (Monsanto). I think it's a "must see" too. BTW, the Wal-mart movie was a good one to remind us to try to preserve the little guy, whether it's shop owner or farmer. Our Ace hardware has been doing better business in this last year, which has been good to see as it's saying that at least the mssg is getting out more & people are really starting to think local & little.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  10:32:40 AM  Show Profile
I will never shop at walmart again. I saw that film a while back. Disgusting.

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  10:43:08 AM  Show Profile
After seeing how chickens are treated in the latest egg recall, I am so disappointed at 175M chickens being housed together and having their necks wrung when they get sick. Even with the steep fines (wonder where the money goes?), the owner says that it is the price of doing business. Making people sick is the price, I don't think so! We need to get back to smaller farms and CSA, etc.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  1:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
The other night I wanted to make something different for dinner. I found a recipe for spinch stuffed chicken pockets. I'm sure they were delicious but I couldn't bring myself to eat very much of it. Unfortuately almost the only chicken you can find around here is Tyson and after watching Food, Inc I just couldn't stand the thought of eating one of their chickens. So I'm on the hunt for local grass fed meat and free range birds.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  5:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Well I dont patron Walmart or Dollar General..they are owned by Walmart...I go to Kmart to get my TP and PT...but I usually go to Kroger to grocery shop. And if they have TP and PT on sale I get it there. I get my dog food at Tractor Supply..We are planning to get a cow this coming spring so we will know where our meat comes from. We are also getting chickens to have eggs. But until we can educate our country about the foods that is being grown...we are still going to have the same foods we have now.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  6:34:51 PM  Show Profile
My husband works in retail so I was intrigued by the news that Dollar General is owned by Walmart. I looked it up and they aren't owned by Walmart. A private equity company owns them. I love our DG. They are cheaper and as good as Walmart at one stop shopping.

Farmgirl #1951
Home is a gift that should be opened every day.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wal-Mart :( Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page