Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Want to see my Thanksgiving dinner?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Want to see my Thanksgiving dinner? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  5:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message

One of the Toms is going to be our dinner. They are all heritage breeds and only $25 a bird! She said some of the Toms get up to 30lbs!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  6:08:50 PM  Show Profile
How cool! I would love to have a fresh turkey for Thanksgiving. I've never even looked into it. How did you find your guy?

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  6:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh Alee, how could you? Naw, just kidding! But really, look at those guys. They are huge. If they get to be 30 pounds that's a great deal. Are they going to do the deed or do you have to? I can't wait for mine to get that big. I am going to have a really hard time deciding which one will be our Thanksgiving dinner. He might just be Christmas dinner. At least you'll know where yours is coming from.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  7:02:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Alee: Those turkeys are beautiful. I'll bet your dinner will be very tasty. Have a great holiday. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  7:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Man, those turkeys are big!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  7:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have to do the deed because of health code regulations which is fine. I figure if you can't do it, then you need to reconsider your choices! I know they have lived a good life and they have always been destined for the dinner plate. I hope someday to have a breeding flock of my own where the parents will be more like pets and the babies will be dinner.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  8:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I have already named the tom that I will be keeping. They are Bourbon Reds so I wanted a Bourbon name. I named the biggest sweetest tom Harper that I am going to keep for the breeding of the hens I will keep too. He will follow me around and will come right up to me. I am so in turkey love with them all. I cannot wait to start all this next spring.

So will it be done at their farm? That's strange that they can't do it. Why is that?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  8:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kris-

Yes it will be at their farm. She said it had to do with the Health Code regulations- I am sure it is so they don't have to be registered to sell slaughtered animals or something. Technically I am buying a live bird and then I am making the choice to kill it after the fact.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  05:38:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I just dont think I could kill one myself or clean it for that matter I have such a weak stomach, I cant even watch hubby clean a deer. I do work with the meat once it is cleaned so to speak. I bet a fresh turkey is so much better than a store bought! Happy eating!
Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  06:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Ladies!

It does make my heart a bit sad to kill a beautiful animal. However at the same time I want to pull myself out of the market that created the "brilliant"(don't mind the sarcasm!) idea of battery style poltry farms. Someday I want to have a small farm that is as close to self sufficient as possible. And if we are going to continue to eat animal protien, I need to make sure I am not setting myself up to have dozens of pet turkeys and chickens! LOL

I am going to expand my garden next year and really explore some more plant varieties to add to our diet. I might decide after Mr. Thanksgiving Dinner that I need to change my ways, but I think if I know I gave him a quick death and am grateful for his life then it's not so bad.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  07:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

Your Thanksgiving dinner will be delicious! You will also know where your bird is coming from and what you are feeding your family.

Twinsmom
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  08:33:11 AM  Show Profile
Alee, my plan when I got my turkeys is to keep a tom and the hens and raise them for breeding stock. As these are a heritage breed too, I want to carry on their breed. I will be able to butcher these but it will be hard, I must admit. I also will thank them for all the food they will give us and a few other families. They are good birds. And I love having them around. Fun to watch their sillyness!

I hope you have your dream place soon, Alee. I have mine. And so worth it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  10:40:10 AM  Show Profile
Wow, nice turkeys Alee, my wife and I want to get one from a farm just north of us we found through eatwild.com.

She thinks I should de-bone it too which I am pretty comfortable doing but I'm not sure about a 30+ lb bird. All the other turkeys or chickens I've de-boned have all been under 14lbs so we'll see.

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  12:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting that link, Kevin! I just found a local place to get a turkey as well as grass fed beef!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  12:45:43 PM  Show Profile
That's awesome Siobhan, and FYI that's essentially all you have to do to earn the beginner "What's Your Beef?" merit badge.

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  2:11:52 PM  Show Profile
Well then, I guess you just helped me earn a badge too then! Thanks for the tip! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Want to see my Thanksgiving dinner? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page