Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Just gave the Microwave the boot...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Just gave the Microwave the boot... Next Topic  

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
Hamilton, Morrowville ontario, Kansas
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  11:05:46 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone else done this? I've read quite a few times about the dangers of using a microwave, and yesterday I finally decided to get rid of it. (When push came to shove, it was not only the dangers, but also the counter space it takes up!!)
I only ever used it to defrost the odd slab of frozen meat or to make popcorn. I figure, with a bit more meal planning, i won't really need it to defrost anything, and I can just get an air popper.

As it was already, i'd reheat leftovers in a pan on the stove rather than the nuker because I was avoiding using it!
We're going to put it in the Garage for a month and see if we really even notice that it's missing. If we can live without it for a month, we can get live without it for good!

Has anyone else done this? Any thoughts?

Corrabelle
http://themayberrysparrow.com
A Kansas gal living in Ontario. Sigh.

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  06:53:59 AM  Show Profile
Good for you! There area few discussions in these threads about folks doing the same. I haven't had one in years, except when I'm in a hotel.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  07:46:53 AM  Show Profile
Do you run into snags because you don't have one? Or do you just plan ahead for meals etc?

Corrabelle

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  08:17:23 AM  Show Profile
When ours went on the "fritz" a while ago I didn't miss it at all but alas, I live in a family that is really big on re-heating leftovers, popping in frozen lean cuisines, and defrosting at a moment's notice so my DH went out and bought another one---Uggh!

To this day, I still stand as far away from the darn thing as possible when it is running-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  08:26:13 AM  Show Profile
Got rid of ours years ago and don't miss it. Though the other day DH was talking "that if we had a microwave...". I hope one doesn't suddenly appear.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  09:10:51 AM  Show Profile
Hehe, Melody! I'm the same way...every time I run the thing I make the kids stand far away (even though they like to watch..) It just doesn't feel very safe!! (not only that, it actually alters the food value and zaps any nutrients the food may have). No wonder some countries ban them!

Corrabelle

Go to Top of Page

Homekeepn
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Cathy
West Gardiner Maine
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  5:45:27 PM  Show Profile
I would trade in my microwave for a dishwasher any day of the week. I don't believe the hubs would get on board with it though, he likes zap his leftovers.

---Cathy---
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  2:31:34 PM  Show Profile
We have had one for years and the most recent one came with the house. I only ever used it for popcorn and as a bread box. A few years ago my sister moved in with us and she used it for "EVERYTHING". My husband then got laid off from work and has started doing the cooking. Now he is using it for "EVERYTHING". I really really hate that. I liked it much better when it functioned as a breadbox.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  3:22:51 PM  Show Profile
We did a few months ago, bought a convection oven..LOVE IT!!!< glad to be rid of the microwave, takes a bit of geting use to though...

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~~**Terri**~~~

http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  5:35:39 PM  Show Profile
i got rid of mine 6 yrs. ago. i dont miss it. we use an airless popcorn popper. i fry froze burger in a skillet with a little water. i would never go back. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  08:35:10 AM  Show Profile
We use a toaster oven, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I can't imagine life without my toaster oven! I very, very rarely use the microwave. fortunately, mine it mounted above the stove, so no countertop space would be taken up. I hate microwaves. I use an air popper for my popcorn.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

coymichelle
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Coy
Fort Worth TX
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  5:56:48 PM  Show Profile
Our microwave caught on fire in a freak accident almost a year ago and we have been microless ever since. We eat fresher foods, are not tempted by pre-packaged microwave lunches, and enjoy every minute of it. I have a panini grill for quick cooking fish or chicken and use a an air popper when I crave popcorn.

Set yourself free!

a little bit country, a little bit rock n' roll
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  6:23:59 PM  Show Profile
When we moved into our new house this summer I didn't have room for our micro and since DH was OOT I just removed it from the kitchen totally. It was a ginormius and it was all I could do to get it off the counter and into the hallway.

When DH got back at the end of the summer- yes I did the move all by myself and I don't recommend it- he put it in the garage because he couldn't bare to part with it. After two months of 3 months of not being used once he made the decision to totally get rid of it!! I didn't even have to ask.

The only thing we miss about it is that we haven't found a way to heat up our rice socks for achey muscles. :(

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page

coymichelle
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Coy
Fort Worth TX
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile
MamaCrunch,

Have you thought about using a rice steamer for your rice socks? Add a little bit of water, throw the bags inside, and let the steam do the work!

Coy

a little bit country, a little bit rock n' roll
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  5:10:21 PM  Show Profile
I have about 1 year ago....LOVE IT! Did take some getting use to and thinking ahead...

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~~**Terri**~~~

http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Life is too short, is just a vapor, Live it like you wont have another minute....because you may not!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  9:19:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad this topic came up. I've never felt comfortable with it altering the food and the thought of the rays. Hmm. I may just have to have it "mysteriously" disappear (just like I want to do with the t.v. --hee hee). I like the idea of putting it in the garage to ensure we don't need it and the family can be okay without it. I agree about having to pre-plan things like melting butter beforehand or defrosting something.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  2:46:11 PM  Show Profile
I am so ready to dump our microwave too! I have been weaning myself off of it for the past couple of months and avoid it at all costs! We are thinking about updating some things in our kitchen, so it will be the first thing to go!

For you ladies that have microwaving family members...Maybe you should put some bio-hazard stickers or police tape across it so they won't be tempted to use it and then see how you do for a couple of months!? I'm sure everyone will be happy to see it gone after that! :)

Oh, we make our popcorn on the stove and I am getting used to thawing my hamburger over night in the fridge.

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Just gave the Microwave the boot... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page