kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  10:59:55 AM  Show Profile
kefir sourdough bread. It's the easiest bread I have ever made. I had seen some places where they were making it but never had full instructions or measurements. So I kind of had to improvise with putting it all together. It's just 2 cups kefir and 2 cups flour. I used fresh ground rye. Mixed it up in a bowl and covered with a cloth. Stirred a few times a day. It should double in a few days. Mine did but I waited til this morning to mix it up. If anyone wants the recipe I'll be glad to post. I know a lot of people don't know what kefir is or can't get it. I make my own from kefir grains and goat milk. And no yeast! I am trying to get away from store bought yeast now. So I think this will be my bread from now on. And Mary Jane's sourdough also. I love that. But this is made with different wheats. And it rose great. And fairly fast too. And is nice and soft.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  1:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That sounds really, really good Kristin!
Let me know how it turns out.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  3:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris:
I love sourdough bread. But, I like the white bread. I was sharing with one of the other MJF the other day about brown or black bread. I cannot eat that because of the color of the bread. I know it sounds wierd but I cannot bring myself to even try it. LOL. Kris, I can almost smell your sourdough bread.
Enjoy!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  5:18:14 PM  Show Profile
It is good but I will put more salt next time and bake it about 30 minutes. It could use some more firmness. And I think I will try it with wheat instead of rye. But somehow the rye has the good things in it that help it to get fermented faster. But I will try with wheat next.

Marley, you are strange! I just love pumpernickle bread and rye and all the good hard dark breads. You really should try them. I have some white wheat that is almost like white flour. But the hard red has more flavor. I like the white sourdough too. I am hooked on some from Greenlife but it's $5. But oh so good. Especially with good thick bacon and ripe tomatoes. That was my breakfast this morning and all I have had to eat today, actually. Very filling.

So this was really an experimantal loaf. I will try it other ways next time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I just made some Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page