Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Farmgirls and Rolling Stones?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmgirls and Rolling Stones? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Merryday
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Kansas
30 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  5:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Howdy all. I've just been reading lots of posts about moving and where folks have lived in the past, and it begs the question, are farmgirls rolling stones? Do we all suffer from a case of wanderlust (sp?)? Or have life circumstances just taken us down winding roads?
I'd be interested in hearing all the different places life has taken all you farmgirls and if you have one "magical" place you hope to one day plant your feet and your garden .
For me: Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Idaho, Washington, and back to Kansas (there's no place like home, right?) My dream: probably somewhere in Montana.
My apologies in advance if this topic has already been posted.

"As you travel through life, remember your goal, keep your eye on the doughnut, and not on the hole" - something my Pop used to say

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  6:52:37 PM  Show Profile
MMmmmmm....Let's see - Utah, Colorado, Europe, Utah, Europe, Utah and Utah for "keeps." There really is no place like home sometimes. For me, it's the farm and the redrock sandstone. I don't know that I'd really, truly feel okay without either one!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  10:59:52 PM  Show Profile
okay for me...Calif, Idaho, Calif, Minnesota, Calif, Minnesota, CAlif., Idaho, Calif and now Utah for keeps. I am for sure NOT a rolling stone..but was married to one (first marriage) I am NOT into change and hope I live in this same silly old house until the day I die. My dream has always been a farm in the mountains and having a milk cow..and lots of kids and a husband who didn't like to move. I have my dream!!!! (well, it is a teeny tiny mini farm..but at 47 that is enough for me now)

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  02:45:54 AM  Show Profile
(as a child)Maine, North Carolina, Georgia, Maine, Philippines, Maine, (as an adult) Florida, Maine. This is home. If we do move again I want it to be to mid Maine where farming and artisan crafts is much more common.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  05:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Wisconsin, wisconsin, wisconsin, wisconsin, wisconsin, wisconsin, wisconsin, central wisconsin,LaCrosse Wisconsin, Millwaukee wisconsin, Central wisconsin, and then I got married and moved around the state another 17 in 10 years! We had a while there where the people we rented from kept selling the houses! Now we have been in the same place for over a year, and I didnt want to stay here! I would love to go back to Western Wisconsin, deep in the bluffs, but hubby likes it here so I hope to find a big house on a little farmette and stay forever! ( However when you move often, you dont have to worry about dust or spring cleaning!)

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7
Go to Top of Page

Merryday
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Kansas
30 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  07:13:20 AM  Show Profile
Robin - I love Maine! My husband and I went on our honeymoon there and travelled all over the state (we put something like 1500 miles on the rental car). That is another state on my dream list.
Perhaps I am a bit of a tumbleweed... but more likely a dreamer

"As you travel through life, remember your goal, keep your eye on the doughnut, and not on the hole" - something my Pop used to say
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  11:31:11 AM  Show Profile
When I put mine I didn't put how many moves within that state each time. I have lived in 36 homes in my life..ugh!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prairiemomma
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cherri
McPherson KS
USA
33 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  1:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Click to see prairiemomma's MSN Messenger address
Born in California, lived in Idaho, Montana, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Now back in Kansas where my family is. We moved a lot also. I am perfectly happy right where I am, though I would love to have my own personal mountain with creeks and huge pine trees that I could see from my living room window. No, really, I am very happy here. I look forward to increasing our little farmstead and tending to it. We rent right now, but have the option to buy later. Actually, this place feels more like home than anywhere I've ever been.

Living simply with hopefulness and joy!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  1:58:36 PM  Show Profile
AUNT JENNY
How big is your farm? And just read the farmgirl wisdom book, it came today, congratulations on your entries in the book, I laughed at the wheelbarrow one.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  3:09:47 PM  Show Profile
born and raised in Washington, D.C. after moving way from 'the nest' in d.c. .. i lived in the surrounding states of Virginia and Maryland (since i worked for 'uncle sam' in D.C.

Met honey hunk in the 70's and traipsed after him to Colorado (where he was offered a job with Department of Justice, Environment Divison to head start up and head an office there). We lived in both Evergreen and Denver.

then about ten years later ... Home Again Home Again ... Jiggety Jig! Stayed in the Annapolis, Maryland area for about 25 years before 'retiring' and heading for Cabin Creek Farm in Kentucky .. where we will most likely stay until we start drooling outta' the sides of our mouths .. or are carted out feet first!

Have absolutely LOVED every adventure we've had along our journey! xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  4:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Born in MO (moved after my sisters died); Wichita, KS (until my mom married my step-dad when I was 5); KS (on the "farm" until college); TN (college); TN (newlywed apt.); FL; FL; WV; WV; FL (different places in our area); FL; FL; FL (our move to the East Coast last summer); and now back to FL (our current location). We've actually been in the same area for almost 5 years, just different homes (except for the 3 month move to the other side where we hated everything! LOL).

I dream of living in Kansas again, but I'm not sure how much I'd REALLY love it. I love our community, our schools, our church, and our location. We're near city, beaches, farms and ranches and tons of camping and outdoors adventures. We don't have to deal with dreadful cold and can do whatever we want outdoors almost any time of year....I like to visit snow now, but not sure I want to live in it anymore!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  5:04:20 PM  Show Profile
Nancy...only 2/3 of an acre..and we use every bit~!
It was so fun having quotes in the farmgirl wisdom book~!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  5:14:10 PM  Show Profile
California, Nevada, California, Nevada, Nevada, Nevada, California, Nevada, Nevada, Nevada, Nevada, Nevada.

Well My Goodness, I never really looked at it this way. To the ocean my heart, to the sagebrush my life.

Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/

Edited by - farmgrlchick on May 27 2006 5:15:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  6:00:17 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, let's see- Born in Massachusetts, moved to Florida at 19, back to Mass at 21, then to GA at 22 and have been here ever since!! (For 26 years!! Yikes!) I believe this rolling stone has developed moss!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  6:22:50 PM  Show Profile
"Like A Rolling Stone" USED to be my theme song. Moved alot as a kid and as an adult, now I want to be PLANTED w/ deep roots on my little farm in Vermont.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  7:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Born in No. Calif, lived there in five different towns there until moving to northern Idaho at the age of 38...been here for 14 years. California was too hot for me. Now we could not afford to buy a house there. It has gotten crazy!
I love the colder weather and the snow. The ice I could do without here, but I try to make my trips out count and mostly stay at home throughout the winter months.
I really want to live in a place where the town looks Norman Rockwell. Old downtown section, old houses, space between the houses...just like it was in the 1930's. There are not that many of the old places left my town...makes me sad...it is just not quaint. But DH does not care about such things. He does not want to move. I oh and ah over those cute little towns I see on tv or the movies or when we travel.
But, three of my four children live nearby...I could not leave them. So I guess unless the Good Lord has other plans for us...this is where I will be. I do dream of a house more out on the outskirts of town. (As I age I find that I do not really want to live too far out of town...then I would be driving in the snow and ice too much.) So maybe in time this will happen...I do dream about it alot. But I do my best to bloom where I am planted too.
I would love to see more of the east coast, I have not been to the northeast part of the US. I've been told I would love it as I appreciate the old houses.
BTW my DH loves the Rolling Stones band...he is much more of a rocker than I. Give me bluegrass or swing anyday!
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  8:16:24 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I am really boring. Born in California, moved to Oregon. Lived 30 miles south of Portland, moved to Portland, back home to the little town then back to Portland. Not much excitement for me. Love Oregon, been to on business and vacations - Washington, California, Idaho, Montana,Utah,Colorado,Nevada,Nebraska,Kansas,Indiana,Michigan,Illinois,Virigina, Washington DC,Maryland,New York,Ontario Canada, Albert Canada, British Columbia Canada and Germany - no wonder I never moved.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan

Edited by - asnedecor on May 28 2006 08:07:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  07:40:59 AM  Show Profile
Anne, there is nothing boring about being planted. It's nice to have roots.

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  08:05:50 AM  Show Profile
Michele -

My parents wanted to instill in us about being planted, being able to grow up in one town and make lasting friends. Both my parents moved alot as children and young adults, so it was very important to them. The only one of us children that has moved any real amount is my older sister - she went to Washington, then to Alexandria,VA and now she is in Alaska. My brother, not too far, lived here in Portland near me for a long time and then about 6 years ago moved to Seattle area in Washington for a job. After traveling to many places, I am always glad that Oregon is my home, because of the quality of life Oregonians have probably is what keeps me here, along with the climate and the great outdoors.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan

Edited by - asnedecor on May 28 2006 08:06:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  12:09:46 PM  Show Profile
Before I was an adult may parents were truly rolling stones...Born in Mississippi, then off to Texas at 9 days old, then Georgia, South Carolina and then Tennessee. We lived in multiple areas in each of these states. At 19 I took off on my own to Virginia then back to TN then off to Oklahoma, back to Tennessee then off to KY and now back to TN since meeting my Husband, country boy from KY who never ventured far from home I have been grounded. He does not have the wondering bug like me and spending money on traveling is a waste when we could be doing projects on our farm...so needless to say not much traveling done here anymore.

I would love to move to Alaska or Canada for a short period to experience something different then the south, even Vermont is on my list of places to dream about.

I have traveled to KS, ID, NY, NJ, MO, DE, GA, AR, MD, PA, NM, CO, OH and others with friends before getting married, we all lvoed road trips!!

My Blog: http://tangledthreadsandknottedyarn.blogspot.com/

Edited by - MichelleTN on May 28 2006 12:14:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  04:22:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm a homebody. It's a good thing, because having to tend to livestock sort of cements that. I was born and raised in northern Indiana, and moved to southern Indiana to go to school. I met my husband and we lived there for nine years before he finished his MBA and we moved here. 23 years later, we're still here.

I like to travel and see different places, but I love the midwest. I love the woodland smells, the little sleepy town I live close to, the broad prairie. I wish you could see what I'm seeing now! I'm on the front porch looking out over the dawn coming across the fields of beans coming up. They stretch in uniform precision as far as I can see. The birds are singing their morning song, and a yellow kitty curls up on the porch with me. The light is soft and filtered as the sun comes up through high thin clouds. Life is good here.

I like to visit other places, but this is home.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  04:49:38 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann, it sounds so lovely. If you could see what I see right now, you'd be ill!! The neighbor's "junk" from his last car he was trying to fix,just thrown everywhere!! I have to keep a sense of humor or I'll go mad. Some people here just look at me like Im nuts, I go out in the morning in my small yard, I tend to my small garden then I sweep, sweep everything!! Kids riding their bikes just look at me like and ride on the other side. The crazy lady of the park!!

Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  2:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
[maroon] Born in Niagara Falls, NY, moved to Delaware then Texas as a DuPont Brat. My father spent 38 years working for DuPont. After college I worked ten months in Florida, became homesick for Texas and was offered a job managing a Peruvian Paso Horse farm. I've not left and have no plans to. I do love to travel to other parts of the country and my yearly vacation to either a National Rabbit Specialty show and the ARBA National Convention and Show let me do just that. This year I'll be traveling a little in search of the finest Santa Gertrudis Cattle available and I really look forward to those upcoming trips. Mostly in the South. I love my mother's New England roots and I love to visit New England. If I could be a snow bird I would spend May to the first of October in Maine. I've been in every state east of the Mississippi except for Michigan. The rest of the states I've been to include Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. I'm really excited about being able to say I've been to every state east of the Mississippi as the ARBA National Convention and Show will be in Grand Rapids Michigan in 2007. I'm also happy to say that being in every state east of the Mississippi has been to visit and learn something about the state I've been to. I think the most recent visit to Rhode Island made me realize just how small a state it is as the two counties I have residences in are each bigger then the state of Rhode Island.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

vtharvestfolkart
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

doreen
West Pawlet VT
USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  04:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Send vtharvestfolkart an AOL message
Hi everyone. I was born and raised in a small rural town in New York State. Left there at 18 and moved to a larger town. Moved several times in that same area (7) over 15 years (wow.....that seems like way too many) i guess i use to be a rolling stone...actually.....i kept moving trying to find something....I didn't know what though...i do now....HAPPINESS.....

I HAVE FOUND IT.....VERMONT AND MY WONDERFUL HUSBAND....who has lived here for 20 yrs..we actually were great friends in high school, finally found each other again 5 years ago. i live here with him and my son, my daughter is away at college right now. I think about my life now and i just can't believe how happy i am. I AM HOME. We have land and a small farm...no animals yet...but chickens are coming....SOON I HOPE :) Anyway...i will live here until my days are done.

take care and have a fantastic day
DOREEN

Please take a look at my folk art. http://www.crowsoup.com/Market1137.php

"IT'S GOOD TO HAVE AN END TO JOURNEY TOWARDS....BUT IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT MATTERS IN THE END"
Go to Top of Page

serenity1652
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Fawn
Elkins WV
USA
140 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  05:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Send serenity1652 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all,
Born in Pennsylvania, then to California, Arizonia, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia for good. I am soooooo tired of moving.

Fawn

"May all of your farm girl dreams come true...as mine has"

http://shallowcreekfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  05:38:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi all, this is really interesting to read about where everyone has been. I was born in British Columbia, Canada, and we were transferred to Chicago, IL by my dad's employer when I was 7 yrs. old, then we moved 3 times around Michigan, then to Virginia and I have moved around locally 3 times with my husband since 1981. Our transition to the farm will hopefully be our last move while we are still kickin'.
Jo
P.S. The Stones are my DH's favorite band, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmgirls and Rolling Stones? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page