Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  8:44:26 PM  Show Profile
I found this on the net today. This gal found $1 dresses and her challenge was to make them into something she could wear. Very inventive.

http://newdressaday.wordpress.com/

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  02:45:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Robin for sharing this site, she really has a talent with redoing. Enjoyed seeing what she did.

Hugs, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  09:21:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing this blog's link. I LOVE IT! And it is right up my alley. I bought a XXXL fake suede jumper at the local thrift store, cut off the top half and turned the rest into a beautiful prairie skirt that matches my knee high moccasins I wear all the time. I even had enough fabric left over to make a huge purse to match. And did I mention that the original jumper had 6 beautiful buttons on it that I can use for something else? Just wish my absymally slow internet would load the pictures on her blog faster. Do you think anyone would be up to a challenge like hers? Kinda like Julie and Julia? I would be.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  09:23:08 AM  Show Profile
ooops, hit the submit button twice....

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

Edited by - harmonyfarm on Aug 18 2010 6:05:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  10:32:48 AM  Show Profile
I just dont have those sewing skills. I wish I did. I should experiment.
Go to Top of Page

JennyJKerr
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jenny
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  10:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Send JennyJKerr a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for posting that site, it's great!

My Blog ~ http://www.travisandjennykerr.com/kerrfect
My Etsy ~ http://www.etsy.com/shop/beletvieux
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  2:48:49 PM  Show Profile
Interesting site... maybe I should look way back in my closest and see what I might be able to use. I do agree that she is talented. Thanks for sharing, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  3:15:12 PM  Show Profile
I wasted WAYYYYY to much time going through months of her posts. So cool!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4743 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4743 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  6:43:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link, she is really creative! It's amazing what she's done with those dresses.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Calicobear
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lori
Mansfield Ohio
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  11:40:26 AM  Show Profile
What an amazing girl! Lots of talent for sure :) Don't think I would be up to that, don't have such a cool "designing vision" I guess....sigh.....but her Site was fun to go thru...and I went thru pages/months of entries too. LOL Way tooo much fun...had to see next project.... Oh my...gotta go be busy now. :) ( & thanks for sharing too!)

Hugs & Smiles!!
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  05:50:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing! That site is an inspiration -- too bad I have elderberry jelly making calling my name today -- I could spend hours looking at all her re-dos. Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  9:12:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link!

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  7:46:28 PM  Show Profile
That girl could make a feed sack look good! Even if she messes one up, she's only out a dollar. Heck, I've bought dresses at the thrift just for the buttons....how inspiring.

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  07:40:46 AM  Show Profile
Help! I keep going back to this site,...my elderberry jelly still isn't done.

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  11:40:42 AM  Show Profile
I see what you mean. I easily could get hooked on looking at it all but break is over and work is the thing. Drat!

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  09:37:15 AM  Show Profile
I have things in my closet that need a redo. I have to just bite the bullet and make an attempt. If it doesnt turn out...well I was wearing it anyways!
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  2:47:02 PM  Show Profile
wow. I spent a lot of time on this site. It's fun and gave me some ideas. I'm not into short dresses but I can see how to remake some older clothes. Fun stuff. I just had to see what she did with one dress and then another. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  10:52:04 AM  Show Profile
I've been watching this site for a while now. They automatically send her blog to my e-mail. I love the inspiration I'm getting to redo some of my clothes that need it. But I've come to some conclusions also.
* She is sooooooo petite that she could make a dress out of a pillowcase...
* 90% of the dresses she buys are probably polyester...(ick)...
* She has a very social cosmopolitan lifestyle
* She is single

But it is fun to see what she'll come up with next....
ok, back to turning my moo-moo's into ballgowns...

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
Hamilton, Morrowville ontario, Kansas
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  8:09:00 PM  Show Profile
That's amazing! My sister does this kind of thing all the time, so she's going to get a kick out of that site. Thanks for sharing!

Corrabelle
http://themayberrysparrow.com
A Kansas gal living in Ontario. Sigh.

Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  8:42:41 PM  Show Profile
What a fun site, I look forward to more time to spend there.

Debbie, I bet your re-purposed suede jumper is awesome!

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  11:02:22 AM  Show Profile
Still loving this dress-a-day site! I've started working on altering and enhancing some of my clothes that don't fit right along with looking for bargains at thrift stores. Haven't had much luck with the thrift stores and nothing is a $1.00 so far. However, my daughter picked up a book for my birthday entitled, "Making Your Clothes Fit" by Patricia Burkhart Smith. OMG! Good book if you are interested in this type of thing. It gives two sets of instructions for every fitting problem you can think of, one for ready-made clothes and one for altering patterns. Good diagrams that are easy to understand. Recommend it highly. Judy

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  12:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Judy...I have alot of books from the 60's that tell how to make the best "hippie/back-to-the-land" clothes. I bet this book will help alot with the alterations I'm doing to my thrift store finds. Maybe we should have a fashion show someday?...lol...
I still watch Dress-a-Day faithfully!

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  08:34:30 AM  Show Profile
Debbie,

Hey, it could be an "altered states" fashion show -- I know, corny, huh?
But, seriously, a nifty=-thrifty fashion show would be fun. Maybe this winter after we've had some time to get together some good looking clothes. What do you think? Judy

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  08:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Been around her site a couple of times. Very creative and talented lady!
I'm trying to learn from it to make more Farm-girl-y/boho style clothing for myself in my own likely much larger size ( =( ) Being creative with your clothing is a talent worth learning.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  08:50:29 AM  Show Profile
I think an "altered states fashion show" would be wonderful! We could try to get a farmgirl from every state to enter. We'd have to have a way for people to vote and definately a prize. Maybe a MJ subscription?...lol...

I'm into the prairie skirt/flannel shirt/kneehigh moccasin/farm girl style myself...also in larger sizes.

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  07:30:53 AM  Show Profile
Let's go for it! Are you thinking post links to a photo site/blog and let people vote? Maybe three entries per person? (I'm just thinking out loud.) Any ideas?

My sister came down for a couple of days and we went "nifty-thrifting" yesterday. I'm still learning the thrift shop thing and she was very helpful. We asked at Goodwill when they would be having their sales (of course, I'm thinking a dollar per item like dress-a-day) turns out, all the stores in this part of the state are owned by the same company and they have discontinued all sales. Every item is $3.69. No pound sales, dot sales, etc. Bummer! But, we went to the Catholic thrift store and found some clothes that I could seriously do something with, problem is I spent all my cash at Goodwill! Now I know where I'll be shopping though.

Judy

Edited by - patchworkpeace on Sep 22 2010 07:33:11 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic dress a day Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page