Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Hikin' the Appalachian Trail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hikin' the Appalachian Trail Next Topic  

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  2:26:26 PM  Show Profile
My DH and I have a friend that has hiked 150 miles of the Appalachian Trail alone. He also suffers from Parkinson's Disease. Last week DH and I were watching a two hour show on PBS about hiking the Appalachian Trail. We fell in love with the idea. The West Virginia section of the trail is 2 miles long and is the halfway point of either direction from Maine to Georgia. So we're planning on packing a picnic and hiking that 2 miles this fall when the leaves turn. We're also thinking about making T-shirts that say, "I survived the West Virginia section of the Appalachian Trail"....call us wimps or whatever...it's the best we can do...for now.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  3:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Debbie:
My hubby and I hiked that two mile section. My sweetie was breathing hard, he is just not used to that. But, I loved every minute of it. Bring lots of water.
Keep us posted. Wimps even have to start somewhere! LOL I would not call you or your hubby a wimp, I would say "GO FOR IT".
MARLY

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  3:24:19 PM  Show Profile
I've always thought that sounded like a great vacation/hobby/project whateve you want to call it. We have the contenintal divide trail close by but for some reason that never appealed to me, always thought the Appalachian Trail was the one I would want to do. Too bad it's so far from me. Good luck to you and your DH. A mile or the whole length is an accomplishment you can be proud of.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  8:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I think it would be amazing. I would also love to do the Pacific Crest Trail, it goes from the Mexican Border uo through Canada.Its 2565 miles!! If you can do the Appalachian DO IT!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/justanotherhousewife
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  04:45:36 AM  Show Profile
My friend told me a story about a man she knows that hikes the trail every year (I think) just to meet hikers and tell them about the Lord. He says that most people who hike it are looking for "something". Perhaps it's to know or meet God.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  05:09:21 AM  Show Profile

We ere goin to do this several years ago-bought a tent for two and everything and I came to my senses, and asked myself, "Are you crazy or what?" 4 years ago Floyd decided he would hike alone, bought everything over a few months. We drove to Georgia where it starts and he hiked about 30 miles. It was a good thing I hung around at a crossing close to the road. He came off the trail with an almost dislocated shoulder and a swollen left testicle. I put him in the car and said , "Let's go to GAtlingburg" and he didn't argue. Since his heaart surgery, just the other day he was talking about it again!

Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  06:07:11 AM  Show Profile
This and hiking the PCT were on my life list before I became debilitated with arthritis. DO it, make it happen, and have an awesome time!

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  06:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh Karen that sounds like so much fun and beautiful!
Go to Top of Page

FG-Terri
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Theresa
Newport News VA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  08:19:44 AM  Show Profile
hiking the AT is one of my dreams!! Have fun, post pics!!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  10:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
hiking the AT has been a life long dream of mine. i am really concidering doing it as a graduation present to me after school.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  06:27:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh I would love to hike the trail everytime I see a book about the trail I buy it! Hoping one day I can hike at least some of it. That would be a dream come true, even if it is only 2 miles I think everyone has to start somewhere and I hope ya'll have the best trip! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hikin' the Appalachian Trail Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page