Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Close Call Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  9:18:48 PM  Show Profile
I had a very close call tonight--I was at a friend's house, getting ready to leave, and didn't realize I was standing at the top of the very steep basement steps (which are usually not a concern when the half door at the top is closed). But tonight the door was open, and silly me, I was looking at the dog to make sure he didn't make a dash for the side door, when suddenly I felt myself losing my balance and going backwards.all I could think was, this could be a major catastrophe...I managed to stop myself from going backwards by placing my right leg behind me but in doing so, I think i tore something in my bad knee. Which is a lot better than the alternative. I could easily have gone down the steps backwards and ended up with broken bones, a concussion, or worse. It was scary. I'm just thankful that I'm still in one piece.all this happened in a split second. It really makes you grateful that Someone is watching out for you. And I can still walk, even if it is a bit painful. I just hope my friend doesn't feel too upset about it, I know it scared her. anyway, I know now not to take anything for granted, life can change in an instant. Sorry, I'm still kind of shook up.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  9:25:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad that you're okay (((hugs))) That is really scary.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  9:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad you are ok, Cindy! What a close call.
hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  9:27:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank God you are okay and disaster was averted! I hope your knee isn't injured too badly. Things can sure change in a heartbeat that's for sure.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  9:37:42 PM  Show Profile
I understand. I'm glad you're okay. My DH wrecked his motorcycle 3 months ago, without a helmet on of course, and I still get shakey thinkin about it. You're right. Life can change in an instant. We never know and that's super scary!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  9:49:46 PM  Show Profile
Angela--that is scary, when someone you love is in an accident. Especially on a motorcycle. I get angry when I see people in cars who tailgate bikers. I've ridden on bikes before, but always in a group. I hope your husband is more careful now.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  06:08:36 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, that was good reflex action! I am so glad you didn't go down those stairs! I hope your knee is ok. Probably a little sore this morning. Have you done anything with it yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  06:36:59 AM  Show Profile
heres hoping you are ok today sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  06:54:37 AM  Show Profile
OMGoodness Cindy, I'm so glad you're OK. I've had close calls like that and I can only think afterwards, "Thank you Lord for Your angels because I know I would have been hurt terribly without them." I think the angels guarding over our house with my clumsy self and three little boys are on overtime LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  3:15:44 PM  Show Profile
Cindy:
Glad you are okay. Take care of that knee.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  5:02:39 PM  Show Profile
So glad your OK. My Ex MIL fell down her basement stairs & broke her collarbone, R arm, L hand, & shoulder a few years ago, to make it worse she could not move and stayed down their for 3 days before her daughters friend found her. It wasn't the nicest basement either. I didn't care for her as a person but I really felt sorry for her. I know she was surprised when I stopped into visit. It wasn't long before I put my foot in my mouth and when she said I'm surprised to see you I said I feel so bad that you had to go through that. ( I should of stopped there but foolish me my mouth continued to say ) Not even someone like you should of had to go through that, especially for 3 nights, Yuck...Then I realized what I said and quickly added I hope you like the flowers but I really got to go....

I bet your friend is also relieved you managed to save yourself from more harm..I hope your knee heals fast.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  7:21:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you were able to catch yourself. It does make you think though about how fast our life can change in just a flash.
Take it easy on your knee, I'm sure you can use and deserve some down time.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  8:03:35 PM  Show Profile
I am happy that you are ok. It definitely is good to remember how quickly life can change and that we should be greatful for all the blessings that we have.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  10:44:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, my knee swelled up so I went to the ER. They took some x-rays and put a knee immobilizer on my leg. Fun, fun, fun. It's nothing serious, just really inconvenient cause I can't go back to work till Friday. This has been such a bummer year, with my knee, wrecking my car, getting pneumonia--but I'm glad I can go to this website and feel cheered up by reading the posts on here. Thank you for all your concern.Someday I'd like to meet some other farmgirls in person. Maybe some day I can even move to the country. But since I keep having these incidents, maybe it's good for now that I live in town. I guess God has his plans for me, just don't know what they are...
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  06:37:46 AM  Show Profile
Ohh glad your OK, yes, one step can bring about a lot of bad changes! My husband is a mailman, slipped on some light ice coming off someones steps, had to have surgery and could not work for 6 months! Almost two years later, he is still having problems with the ankle!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  08:14:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad that your weren't hurt more than you are Cindy. I am praying for healing for you!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  08:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
I read this with my hand over my mouth, gasping. It reminded me of a similar thing that happened to me years ago. No one told me that half of our wooden step was ripped off from dragging the dryer up the basement steps and i went running down as usual and missed that step and landed on my back. knocked the wind out of me and the bruises were so deep, my skin never colored like bruising does and i had to see a chiropractor for months and couldn't sit back in a chair or church pew for a L O N G time...God is good, glad you were spared.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)

Edited by - craftbug on Aug 29 2010 5:33:21 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Close Call Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page