goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  5:26:22 PM  Show Profile
Welp, we finally were in the town of the man who owns the land that we'd like to buy. We've called a couple of times but he's never returned our calls. He did tell our friends several years ago that he'd like to sell the land. We had found out he does get behind in tax payments but seems to catch up every other year or so. But really, for our first parcel, we'd like to out and out buy the land so we can build and not worry about it being redeemed.

We had gone down to the courthouse and got his info. So, today, we were in his town. I know it's Sunday but we thought maybe we could wait till mid-day and then go by. We stopped at Wmart to shop and hubby looked in the phone book and the man isn't even listed. Not even his business. Gah!

So, someone is paying the taxes, don't know who though. Don't know where they come from. Unless we hire a PI to find his info, we don't know where to go from here.

The good news is that some other land has cropped up, a little farther away but in the general area. Not as pretty though and a bit more rugged.

Oh, well, something will work out.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  7:24:08 PM  Show Profile
You should be able to get his info from the tax essay office, they will have a current mailing address, or should anyway...good luck

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  8:40:09 PM  Show Profile
I just asked hubby and he said he went to the tax assessor's office for the info. Don't quite know what's going on but they have the wrong info at this time. Still, SOMEone is paying, they just don't live in the listed town. Very strange.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  8:46:46 PM  Show Profile
He wants to sell, you want to buy. Why should this all be a mystery? Do you suppose he has died and someone else has inherited it?
Have you tried checking with any neighbors of the parcel? They might know more about what is going on, who might be related to the owner or something.
Good luck!
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  9:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Nope, shouldn't be a mystery at all! We thought it'd be a piece of cake. He wanted to sell, we want to buy. This land is directly across the road from our friends. Our friends have been keeping an eye on it for the owner. Things like when a snowstorm hit, they took in all his patio furniture and put up a gate to keep people from snooping about. These parcel(s) are mainly at least 1 mile off the main road and very few people live in the area.

Our friends have/had his number, that's where we got it first. I think we've about 5-6 calls in and so tried the tax assesor's office. But then we found that he doesn't live in the town listed, nor is his business. The tax payments are sporadic so it's possible someone else is paying. Now, we're not sure whose number it is that we're calling since there is never a return call.

I guess we'll keep trying to find him. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. If not, there are other parcels, just not close to our friends and for a primary residence. We wanted that so when we are gone, our friends could keep a sharp eye. If we get other parcel(s), it'll be harder for them to watch over the place.

I'm not sure about the tone of your post, since the written word is hard to judge. I thought folks might be interested in our quest to buy some/any land. *shrugs*

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  08:38:22 AM  Show Profile
Winona, since you have a phone number, try doing a reverse directory, you might get lucky and come up with a name and address for that phone number

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Bad news about the land Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page