Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Please help me brainstorm-town growth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Please help me brainstorm-town growth Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  05:43:21 AM  Show Profile
Our town is rapidly declining in population. Last year we lost 100 in population. We now stand at 1,680 in the town and 3,200 in the county. If we can't stop this exodus of population we will be almost nonexistant in 10 years. I am scared, 5 generations of my family have been involved in farming. Land can't be moved, so we are stuck in the midst of this issue. I want a town to get groceries, receive health care, and a school for my grandkids to go to locally. The thing is we are the best kept secret. We are like Andy Griffith's "Mayberry". Our problem is isolation and not enough jobs. We are a clean, low crime, excellent schoools, sense of community, sense of pride, and salt of the earth town. In the 70-80-90s we had the mentality to educate our children and send them out to make a better living than we had. We did an excellent job. We have a high rate of home grown doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. What we didn't foresee was the need for the youth to stay in our community. They love to come home for the "home grown carnival". It is great and alumni/family voluneer to run rides and games. A few of our alumni are stepping up and trying to help reverse the flow, but it is going to take miracles to keep our town from shrinking. I am putting out a plea to the Farmgirl Connection-please help me with ideas we can implement to attract population, telecommuters, tourism, etc. The town has brainstormed and taken some action. Our community has a dry lake we are in the process of turning into wetlands and natural park with hiking trails and camping areas. The trails and camping areas are complete. We are searching for funds to erect a playground also. Our community just built a new senior center, movie theater, and in the process of completing a bowling alley all under the same roof. It is small scale, but very nice. We are trying to get funding to improve the airport. 10 years ago we built a civic center that is very impressive. We are not lazy and love our town. Like I said isolation and lack of jobs seem to be the crux of our problem. Please give me input. Every idea is worth considering. Many times one idea sparks another.

Topic

New Topic Reply to Topic

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  06:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cozynana- what state is your town in?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  09:01:16 AM  Show Profile
Just my own opinion and a bit of observation: keep the schools healthy. Small towns are defined by whether the schools are prospering, enrollment, etc. The kiss of death for a community is when "they" close the schools and bus kids to a consolidated school in another part of the area. It might be that you want to be on the school board, in order to have a say in teacher hiring, policies, curriculum, etc. Good luck, I know it's a daunting tast to try saving a community.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I know we've all heard it...but find your niche! What is your town good at? Farming... What about agri-tourism or educational programs? What about the slow food movement? Starting bringing people in slowly and if they have a great time, they will send more. Also, start a website for your town. Let people find you. Play up the fact that you are out of the way...a great escape from the rat race.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Please be careful what you wish for! Where I live "was" a great , rural, 4-H kids, help your neighbor town , and a few years back, the Mayor/city council deceided that we needed more. They got some housing tract builder companys (plural) to come in and build these large tracts, the prices were insane, houses huge, and they were on a 1/4 of a postage stamp lots, walk out the back door into your back wall in 10 steps or less. As of this year, over 75 % of these homes are empty, due to, they never sold, forclousure and not staying here cause its not what I thought it was mentality. Also several of these places started (model homes were built), and never finished, so they have 6 model homes built and no others, so now you have a 10 acre, walled in area with paved streets "GHOST TOWN". Then of course all the people who came up and bought older homes, not to live in, but to rent out, those have attracted the worst of the worst, parents saying they wanted a better life for their kids, and the kids did not, so they brought their gang banging with them. Our schools are so over crowded, no child can possibly get a decent education, home schooling you say, that would be fine, except most of these kids now come from 2 working parent families, or single parent who either works or does not give a damn. Our crime has risen so high, we are no longer a "safe" town to live in, Oh, I forgot, we are now a city, not a town, and thats something most of us never wanted...I could go on and on, but I won't, just be careful what you wish for, think it all out carefully before you act...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  11:48:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm semi with Teresa. You don't want your town to lose the small town feel. But there are things your town can do to be put on the map. Do you have any big festivals or parades or such that you can play up to other towns? Or you can tell out of towners to come and bring their friends too.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  12:02:31 PM  Show Profile
We have a little town that is about 8 miles away and it's tiny. But it's Sturgis, MS. They decided to do a play on names and have a Little Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. It draws thousands of people in this little bitty town that's not hardly a mile wide. They make most of their revenue for the year in 4 days.
Good luck!

Farmgirl #1951
Home is a gift that should be opened every day.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  12:29:54 PM  Show Profile
When your town has special events, send them in to Country Living magazine, etc for their monthly calendar. That may attract people looking to move to a small charming town.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  3:49:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the input. I live in NW Kansas. I don't think there is ever going to be any threat of over populating. We are too isolated for most people. To get to a town around 50,000 a person has to drive 3 1/2 hours. Denver is 4 hours, KS City is 7-8, Wichita is 5-5 1/2. We do need to find a niche. It is probably agri-tourism. Our county is very heavy into farming. Now.....just what would be an easy business to turn into agri-tourism?
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  1:32:32 PM  Show Profile
I can remember when I'd be lucky if three cars passed by my house in a day. (One of them would be the mailman) Now three or more cars pass by my house every half hour. I wish it would go back to the way it was. A town I live 7 miles from, was virtually wiped off the map a few years ago by a major flood. It will never be the same. Some things you just have to "suck up" and accept.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  4:19:13 PM  Show Profile
Kem--since you live in a part of the country where the wind blows free, try persuading your town officials to invest in wind power. Seriously, it's growing at a phenomenal rate. And it's going to be around for a long, long time. It'll bring in jobs, and your town will be at the forefront of a new and exciting industry. Just my two cents worth.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Please help me brainstorm-town growth Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page