Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Meet Luke Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  7:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
our gumball tree. Yeah we named a tree and I'm sure it's a little strange. Ok probably more than a little strange. But it's so much easier just to refer to the tree as "Luke" rather than "that giant gumball tree in the backyard."

Anyhow I posted on my blog about Luke and his misfortune in this afternoon's storm. He also posed for the camera. So stop by and check him out. I wouldn't be surprised if Luke is as old as the house.

http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/2010/08/luke-gumball-tree.html

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  7:21:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melanie. I have a gumball tree in my front yard. What are you going to do with the gumballs? I just rake mine up and put them in the burn pile. I had an aunt that used them in dried arrangemnts at one time.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  7:23:01 PM  Show Profile
So what do you do with the gumballs? I've never seen these before.

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  7:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
My kids love them! They plucked all they could find off the fallen limb and put them in a plastic tub to save for their "gumball war" tomorrow. They sure do sting! Guess it's a good thing my kids have tough hides. LOL

They're prickly little balls that fall from the tree, Tina. I have a pic on my blog of the ones the kids gathered.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  7:56:25 PM  Show Profile
I've never heard of a gumball tree. Is it another name for something I may have heard of?
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  04:17:21 AM  Show Profile
I think it's the same thing we call a sweet gum tree here in the Northeast. We gather the pods after they dry out and turn brown and use them in fall arrangements, etc. The "prickers" on them are pretty sharp though, especially when they are dry!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9388 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9388 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  05:02:33 AM  Show Profile
We have a place here called Gum Tree Corner. It is a big old gum tree that marks a place where two of the roads converge. Strangely enough it is on the map too! Reminds me of something from Winnie the Pooh. :)

farmgirl sister#43
"All you need is faith, trust and......a little bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  05:54:43 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, we have those all over around here. They are Sweet Gum trees. The leaves in the fall are usually the first to change color and they are beautiful. Mostly purple and deep red. Very pretty. When they start changing, I know fall is near. I love the gum bals, too. I gathered a bunch the other day to make something for the nature swap. I want to make a wreath. I need to find my hot glue gun though. And they can be spray painted. Lots of things yu can make with them. I would not want to be hit by one though. Ouch! They are not near as bad as the chestnut hulls but they do hurt to walk on.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  06:08:57 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,

What a beautiful tree! Sorry Luke lost a limb. I can't believe how huge the tree is. A friend gave me some 'gum' balls and I have them in a basket in our kitchen. Very neat and fun to decorate with :)

Kris,
the ones I have are a medium to dark brown. They come in purple and dark red? I bet those are beautiful! Do they dry that color?

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  06:52:32 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, I meant the leaves. Sorry. I should have been more specific. That would be cool to have the gum balls in those colors. But you'd have to spray paint to get it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  07:12:30 AM  Show Profile
:)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  07:24:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melanie- I have to laugh for two reasons.. when I first read the subject "meet Luke" i assumed it was about a new baby (probably because my sons name is Luke)
Second.. I am so excited..... We have a Giant gumball tree at our elementary school. For YEARS, everyone is always saying "what are these things?" and "What kind of tree is that?". NOW I can finally tell them with certainty "Its a gumball tree!" We never ever knew what the "gumballs" were! Hee Hee Hee.
So, in short... thanks for the post! It was a big help
Smiles,
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  06:37:43 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,
I had never heard of a gumball tree...I like that you named it Luke. Great pics.

Thanks for sharing.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  09:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for visiting my blog everyone! I have never made a gumball wreath. I may give it a shot when the gumballs dry out.
Luke is really tall and scary when the wind blows. Do you believe I couldn't get all of him in the picture?!
I think Monday I'm going to have to check into getting him a trim. He's so pretty I hate to do it, but the wood sided garge behind him in the pic houses 3 or 4 antique and vintgae cars and if Luke falls or drops a big limb on that my insurance company is going to be furious!

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  2:22:13 PM  Show Profile
i have never heard of or seen one of those kinds of trees before-he sure is a beautiful tree. i like that you guys named him that is really cool. i could see my boys whipping those things at each other too!

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  4:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
i never heard of a gumball tree either but have heard of sweet gum tress, just never saw one til i looked at the pic, very awesome, but ya, needs a trim to be on the safe side. i can picture my 3 boys(men now) doing a "battle" with them too, but can't be fun to get hit.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  5:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Luke probably is a sweet gum tree. I think the "slang" name around here is gumball. LOL Me and grandma get in on these little gumball fights soemtimes too. It's just been too hot for us big girls to play here lately. Actually grandma was the one who taught the kids about gumball wars. LOL

Melanie

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Meet Luke Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page