Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  10:23:01 AM  Show Profile
(see photo of magazines on my blog)

MERCANTILE GATHERINGS

country-lovin' friends ..

you reeeeeeely reeeeeeeely MUST subscribe to this wonderful primitive magazine .. if you love the 'lay-back-life' style of family and friends and a big 'ole farm table groaning under country cooking and the aroma of home-baked pies wafting out an open window .. the sound of squeaky screen-doors slammin' as barefoot children run in and out squealing in delight .. catching fireflies at dusk and roasting hotdogs and marshmallows on a stick around a hand-did campfire. gathering on the front or back porch to catch up on all the latest family and community news .. with "people" rather than just always via "cyberspace".

If you love to sit with a tall glass of iced tea or mug of hot coffee and thumb through a magazine .. reading stories of other like-minded folk .. and dreaming over photographs of primitive country homes and the way they are decorated with heart-grabbing hand-dids .. well ... MERCANTILE GATHERINGS ... will fulfill all those dreams!

OH .. and be a-lookin' for some 'ramblings' from a "nawthern gurl moved south" (from Washington, D.C. city life .. to Kentucky farm life). Each issue .. i tell of some journeys, adventures and wonderful places i've visited and people i've met down in the hollers and on the rolling green backroads.

Next issue .. i'll be writing of my OLDE KENTUCKY HOME-TOWN .. GREENSBURG, KENTUCKY!

OH .. it'll make you jus' wanna' pull up roots and head this way!

I think Twigs has conjured up a list of fabulous primitive places and shows for you to visit too for the next issue .. check them out .. and maybe we can meet at some of them .. i sure have several on my list of places to be!

Subscription rate is $18.95 for four issues each year.

You can subscribe by e-mailing: mercantile@neo.rr.com

(tell the gurlfrenz that frannie sent ya!

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  11:20:23 AM  Show Profile
This sounds like an absolutely wonderful magazine!! I believe I'll subscribe!!

Thanks! Georgette

"We need the tonic of wildness, to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk..." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  7:43:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I wanted to ask about this magazine and then found this post, so thought I'd re-open it!
I LOVE all things primitive and my dream is to get my farm and build/relocate a little cottage to the front of the property and open my prim shop. I dream about my farm and shop ALL the time!! Anyway, there is not much primitive in Australia - especially not the grungy, grubby primitive stuff and certainly no magazines devoted to it. So I wanted to get some feedback on this mag before subscribing. I'm sure anything that Frannie writes for is wonderful!! But it will cost me about $15AUD for each copy, so I thought I'd try to get some info first. What I really like is to see other peoples' houses, room settings, etc. I would like to set up a shop as though it were a home, with all the items for sale as part of the room settings. Does that make sense? I just love shops that are like that, it's like exploring!!
OK, I'll stop rambling now - any info would be GREAT!!
Best wishes and keep dreaming (I am!!),
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  7:54:19 PM  Show Profile
well gurlfrenz .. the autumn issue is going to print right now ... be sure to look for my ramblings .. i wrote about A MOMENT IN TIME for this issue. wanted to forward some photos to go with it (it's about olde family photos and how they capture our 'moments in time') ... but .. had to up and run to toledo for that baby girl's 'birthday' ... so i didn't have time. hopefully, the article will stand on it's own. mercantile gatherings is all about primitive homes, decorating, antique, crafting. it is WONDERFUL .. be sure to subscribe .. and tell the gurlz that 'frannie sent me'.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  7:58:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jayne! The price is a bit steep for you down under... but dare I say worth it? If you can swing it, I think you will be pleased. I bought an introductory issue and then ordered a subscription and EVERY back issue I could get my hands on!
The magazine is printed on very high quality paper and has many photos of homes and projects. I am a primitive artist/dollmaker and I find this magazine to be very inspirational-both stories of the artists and their featured work. Mercantile Gatherings is the REAL DEAL, featuring the best of the best primitive artists! I can imagine keeping the back issues with my pattern books just to spark my own creativity.
This is not a paid advertisement! LOL ;)
Prim Blessings,
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  8:17:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Rhonda and Frannie,
I think you have sold me - it wasn't going to need much convincing, I think I had already decided!! But Rhonda, you definitely swung it for me! Sounds like just what I am after! The price is a bit expensive, once they factor in postage, but it only comes out once a quarter. I like quarterly magazines - so many now have gone to monthly and it makes too many to keep up with it!
I'm heading over to their site now to subscribe!!
Rhonda, I'd love to see some of your work sometime. I just love making dollies and seeing their little personalities appear!
Thanks again,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  9:00:02 PM  Show Profile
Glad to help Jayne! I'd LOVE to share my work...but alas am an idiot with the computer! LOL It took me 20 minutes in BestBuy today to figure out which memory stick to buy for my digital camera! I have a young friend working on my website at present, so hopefully I'l be "online" sooooon!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  9:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait to see it, Rhonda! I'll be watching for your website!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  9:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie and Rhonda,
Just wanted to let you know that my first issue of Mercantile Gatherings dropped into my letterbox today (the Autumn issue). I love it!! I just can't stop turning the pages! I made a cuppa, sat down and had a flick through and I know I will be looking many times and seeing something new each time. There is so much in the photos. Beautifully produced, worth the money! Now I can't wait for Winter!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  7:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jayne! I'm so happy for you! Aren't the photos just wonderful? I look through my back issues over & over! I'm already looking forward to the winter issue too!

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic MERCANTILE GATHERINGS Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page