Zen Gardener
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Cheryl
Stafford Springs CT
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  6:02:32 PM  Show Profile
This year I am harvesting the best corn ever from my garden. I would love to freeze some for Thanksgiving,what is the best way to do this? Also the same queston for summer squash. Last year I sliced the squash and froze it in continers,when i cooked it,it was very watery and did not have much taste to it.I would appreciate any ideas.
Thank you

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  7:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cheryl. Welcome to the farm. I have better luck with freezing corn cut off the cob. Plus I love doing it. I just cut it all off and parboil a few minutes. Let it cool and pack in quart size freezer bags. So easy. And with squash, I can it. And I have dried it. Both good. Sounds like you are having good luck with your garden. Mine is almost dried up. Still getting okra and peppers and a few tomatoes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  7:33:06 PM  Show Profile
I par boil then zip it off the cob.

I put the par boiled cobs in the center hole of my angel food cake pan then zip down with a sharp oaring knife. Then I bag and freeze.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  9:09:47 PM  Show Profile
I parboil then cut off the corn. The summer squash I grow is zuchini, I haven't tried the others yet. I shred it and freeze in bags. It makes great hashbrowns, but you have to let it thaw first sittin in a colander to let the water drip out. You can also use it in cassaroles and breads after it's been frozen.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  9:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I do my corn the same way Merry does and it tastes fresh. I will be doing 100 ears in the morning.
I do the same as Angela with the zuchinni. I put it in sandwich bags in 1 cup portions so it's easy to use.
I used to parboil my yellow squash and zuchinni after I sliced them in 1" rounds and freeze them. They were a bit mushy. This year I am just slicing them and freezing them. Maybe they will be better.

Blessings,
Darlene
Sister 1922

The road to a friends house is never to long!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezing corn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page