Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What is your favorite way to preserve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is your favorite way to preserve Next Topic  

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  07:19:58 AM  Show Profile
tomatoes? I am going to have a limited supply this year due to blight. What way do you like to put them up that you get the most tomato bang for your buck. Juice, sauce, or stewed? Water bath canned or pressure canned. Dried, frozen?

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  08:08:30 AM  Show Profile
All I do is peel, cut the tomatoes in half, put them in jars and process. That way I get as much nutrition from them as possible. Also can do pretty much anything with them after - juice, sauce or stewed. Been doing this way for years. Easy as well and fairly quick.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  09:13:50 AM  Show Profile
If I had a shortage and couldn't put them up in various ways, like I usually do, I would bottle them like Ingrid suggested. You can make whatever you want after opening.

I prefer making sauces and such to can. But I always do at least half plain.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  09:37:20 AM  Show Profile
I like to dice them, skins on, and save the extra juice. You can really pack them in when they are diced and I get 1 quart of juice for every 4 or so pints of diced.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  10:19:42 PM  Show Profile
I can alot of tomatoes just plain, quartered with skins on. I add a tsp of lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of salt to each quart jar before processing. Very very useful!! I do alot of salsa to can as well. You just can't have too many jars of tomatoes on hand, can you?

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  06:46:32 AM  Show Profile
I do the boiling water/cold water take the skin off thing. Then I quarter and decore (if needed) then pack in fruit jars and pressure can them. I also make tomatoe juice. I pressure can it also. Momma used to not can tom juice, just pour boiling juice in jars and seal. The newer veriaty of tomatoes do not have enough acid to do that. I also make salsa. Have not made any this year yet. I think I am waiting for a grandkid to show up to help. Funny they don't have a problem showing up to help eat the stuff.

Belle
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is your favorite way to preserve Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page