Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 European patterns/ adding seam allowance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic European patterns/ adding seam allowance Next Topic  

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  05:52:32 AM  Show Profile
I have some Ottobre patterns and also some Onion patters, all from Scandanavia, all with English instructions. These patterns need to be traced onto pattern maker or similar , then given 1/4 inch seam allowances before being cut.
Does anyone know a straightforward way of adding 1/4 inch seam allowances? Can a seam gauge be helpful in the process?
It should be a simple process, but I would love to hear from someone in the know!!
Thank you!
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)

Edited by - MaryLD on Aug 11 2010 05:53:20 AM

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  06:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
at school we are taught to use a clear ruler...seam gauges are a huge no-no as you end up with too much varriation in the final line. set the clear ruler along the outside edge of the garment with the long side of the rule extended 1/4 inch. for straight pieces of pattern just draw the line along the ruler. for curves, piviot the ruler along the shape of the pattern piece. you will end up with some roughness on the curved pieces, but if you piviot often and use short pencil strokes these will be easy to smooth out as you cut the pattern.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  1:16:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, THANK YOU!!
~ Mary

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic European patterns/ adding seam allowance Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page