EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  12:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Any fellow Anne (with an e) lovers out there? I read the entire series as an adult and I treasure it most dearly.
What are some of your favorite quotes from the books - L.M.Montgomery had such a way with words. You felt like you were right there with Anne Girl!
"My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes!" that is one of my favorites - as is "September slipped by into the gold and crimsom graciousness of October"
How about the part where Ruby Gillis dies - could anyone keep a dry eye.
I have it on audio tape read my Megan Follows and it is delicious to listen to. I also have all the VHS tapes - although I don't much care for the last one.
I think a little bit of Anne lives in all of us

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  12:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I don't have the books but I watched in PBS and I absolutely loved it. I could watch it again and again and again. I loved Megan Follows in the lead........ Oh to live her life....it was a beautiful story and I just love Anne (with an e)!!!

Georgette

"We need the tonic of wildness, to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk..." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  12:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Oh we LOVE them...thanks for reminding me about them. THAT is what I will watch when I come home from the hospital!!! Yeah for you Kathy!!!

My favorite quote is: Her tongue appears to be hinged in the middle, but she may turn out all right. Rachel Lynde talking about Anne's VERY dramatic apology.

Such has been said about me I am afraid!!!

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  12:50:34 PM  Show Profile
Susan do you have all the VHS tapes? even the last one when she is all grown up?
I love the part when Matthew picks her up and she is seeing all of Green Gables for the first time - I get chills just thinking about all those wonderful places, The Lake of Shining Waters, Violet Vale, The Haunted Wood - and the music score it is wonderful as well.
How much did you all cry when Matthew died?
I treasure all my most pleasant memories - isn't there a part where she asks Marilla if she ever imagines anything - and when Marilla replies no she says...."Oh Marilla, how much you miss!" It is so true - I don't care that I am 47 and believe in faeries and magick and still play dress up - heck, I bought myself a special made barbie dressed like a beautiful gypsy for my birthday this year - I have vintage gowns too with big billowy bell sleeves - and hehehe on my birthday I wore a wreath on my hair woven of honeysuckle, violets, pansies and small pink roses - and wore my gypsy clothes (very Stevie Nicks)
I don't care if I am silly - my parents died within 5 years of eachother and my sister died at 51 in 2003 - life is too short not to fill it with all the things that make your heart glad.
Blessed Be! Almost goat play time here lol! How do we post pictures here - I would love you all to see my white deer and Enchanted Wood.

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  12:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Just an idea but wouldn't it be fun to read Anne of Green Gables on a cassette tape recorder and each of us read a chapter or two and pass it on till we have read the entire book (or heck, the entire series of 8 books) - then we could make copies of it for all of us to keep!

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  12:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
That would be fun...I would have to get a recorder!!!

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  1:31:45 PM  Show Profile
You ladies all amaze me. I think of things like this but have no one to share them with (and a sister that has always told me how wishy-washy I was and how "insipid") and when I think of them, I don't share them with those around me for fear of being thought "silly". I love that idea..........what a wonderful network you all are. I love all of you!!

Georgette

"We need the tonic of wildness, to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk..." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  3:12:48 PM  Show Profile
I, too, LOVE Anne of Green Gables. I have the first two Video sets..havn't got the third yet..but have read all the books (as an adult again..read just the first few as a girl and loved them too, then.) Matthew ...oh Matthew..how sad when he died..I cried and cried.
I don't have any friends "in person" or relatives who feel the way I do about Anne either. What a wonderful world.
Susan...I love the idea that you will be watching the Anne movies as you recuperate! How perfect will that be??

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  4:26:58 PM  Show Profile
I adore Anne of Green Gables! Both the books and the PBS version. I haven't seen it in forever. It is one of the things my daughter and I have in common- we are both Anne-glophiles!!
Hmmm. That may be a good choice for our book gruop!
Karin
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  5:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Dearest Susan, perhaps you will need a little Raspberry Cordial to help you recover! I will have tons of wild raspberries this year, maybe I can make something special from them.
Have any of you ever seen the magazine out of Canada called Kindred Spirits? It is a magazine devoted to L.M. Montgomery and her books.

"Diana and I were only over in the Haunted Wood. It's lovely in the woods now. All the little wood things - the ferns and the satin leaves and the crackerberries - have gone to sleep, just as if somebody had tucked them away until spring under a blanket of leaves. I think it was a little gray fairy with a rainbow scarf that came tiptoeing along the last moonlight night and did it."

Go to Top of Page

adomesticprincess
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kathy
Portland Oregon
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  5:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh my I can not believe I have found others that love Anne of Green Gables. I have been here on this list for a while, but could not gain access to post because of some computer problem or another which just was resolved a few days ago. My name is Kathy and I live in Oregon and just love the Anne of Green Gables tapes that I have. I have been looking for the last few months for the third part where Anne is all grown up and have not been able to find it alone, only as a complete box set with parts one and two. And usually in DVD format.

Does anyone here have the third part and if so where did you find it?
Also, did you know that there is an Anne of Green Gables cookbook? I got my hardback copy about 10 years ago I think and was so excited in the book store to find it. The store owner thought I was nuts, but I didn't care. The book has all the recipes from the series. I just pulled it off the book case yesterday to read again. Funny what it took to draw me out of the woodwork. Nice to meet other fans of Anne of Green Gables. Kathy in Oregon
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  6:22:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy! Did you look on Ebay for it - try that - that is where I find everything lol much to my hubby's dismay. Or you can look on Alibris.com they sell VHS tapes as well as books.
I don't have the cookbook - is it very nice? LOL, maybe I do, I seem to be missing some books when I took my bookshelf down in my office. So many books so little time!
I think the magazine is still around - it comes out of Prince Edward Island.
Wasn't Megan Follows such a perfect choice for Anne - I can't imagine anyone else being Anne - there is a very old black and white Anne of Green Gables and the girl who plays Anne is really named Anne Shirley - I don't recall if I have this on tape or not - but it is an ever so lovely old movie.
L.M. Montgomery wrote so many wonderful books - The Golden Road is a great one too!

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  6:33:06 PM  Show Profile
I love Anne of Green Gables, when I was little I use to pretend I was her. I thought it was wonderful someone who lived in such a beautiful place and spelled her first name properly - with an e!

Also I see we have a new comer from Oregon - Kathy - you should post on the welcome wagen and tell us all about you and what part of Oregon you are in.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

adomesticprincess
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kathy
Portland Oregon
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  7:06:35 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,
Thank you for reminding me about the old black and white one. Now I have to find that one too. I just saw the Grapes Of Wrath last night. I love old movies especially old black and white ones.

The cook book is nice, about age 9 to 11. I bought it for cooking with my nieces. Mine was published in 1985 and after looking at it and adding up the ages of the niece, I realize I have had it about that long. LOL
Mine has a white cover, but I found some published in 2003 with a green cover. I think they looked the same otherwise. The cookbook was by Kate MacDonald, the granddaughter of L.M. Montgomery.

I have never purchased from e-bay and only rarely check out the site. I have heard so many scary stories of things going wrong,I just won't do it. My mom has purchased and never had a problem. Maybe some day I might give it a try.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

adomesticprincess
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kathy
Portland Oregon
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  7:15:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Anne,
I too am in Portland, and will try to post to the welcome wagon shortly.
Glad there are others from Oregon here.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  10:29:38 PM  Show Profile
Eww ladies, I was peeking on Ebay to see what Anne things they had, lots and lots and the prices have come down - plenty of VHS tapes for us dinosaurs - and they have the audio tapes and I did see the old Anne movie on there too.
If you are unsure about purchasing off ebay just look for a seller with a high feedback score percentage. I have been selling and buying on Ebay for years and have not had any major bad things happen.

Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  10:41:26 PM  Show Profile
For some reason my post did not go through, so I will try again.
You can find lots of Anne of Green Gables and other goodies at www.sullivanentertainment.com It is the official site.

I also like their production of Wind At My Back. It takes place in the 1930's.

Our MJF Chapter group is called "Kindred Spirits." This is because we all like to do the same kinds of things. For the MJF quilt block I am embroidering a picture of a group of children dancing around in a circle to reflect a kind of Anne feeling to represent our group in Post Falls, Idaho.

I recorded the Anne series years ago off of t.v., but he quality is not the best by today's standards. I hope to get the set of DVD's soon..

If you liked Anne you'll also like the Avonlea Series offered by Sullivan Entertainment. It is during the same time period and has the same look as the Anne movies. I used to watch it on a cable chamel years ago, but have not seen it for some time now. So I plan to buy the series on DVD's soon too. I love the look of the homes on that series. It is what I try to duplicate in my house.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  06:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Kathy in Portland -

That is great that you are close by, if you are interested we are having a get together of Northern Oregon Farmgirls on the 10th of June at my house - brunch and antiquing in Moreland and Sellwood. There are a lot of new members for this group that have not met each other yet. E-mail me if you are interested in coming and I will give you all of the details.

Anne in Portland

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16376 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16376 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  07:20:33 AM  Show Profile
I am also a big fan of the Anne of Green Gables series. Not only is the story line wonderful but the writing is excellent and endlessly clever. I usually wait about two years and then I read them again. I read them to my mother as she was dying. It was a huge comfort to both of us. Even the nurses and other people in the room loved the enchanted stories.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  08:20:58 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane- I am now sitting quietly at my computer trying not to cry. What a gift to give to your mother and those around her that cared for her. I don't think that there is anything sweeter than someone reading to another as they close the last chapter of their life, especially a parent and child. It is one of those moments when the circles of our lives intersect and we become endlessly bound together with the simplest of acts. In this sad time, you were able to share joy. I am sure that your mother will carry that with her throughout the eternities.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  5:00:45 PM  Show Profile
"Anne started out alone in the morning, went down Lover's Lane as far as the brook. Here Diana met her, and the two little girls went on up the lane under the leafy arch of maples - "Maple are such sociable trees," said Anne; "they're always rustling and whispering to you," - until they came to a rustic bridge. Then they left the lane and walked through Mr. Barry's back field and past Willowmere. Beyond Willowmere came Violet Vale - a little green dimple in the shadow of Mr. Andrew Bell's big woods. "Of course there are no violets there now," Anne told Marilla, "but Diana says there are millions of them in the spring. Oh Marilla, can't you just imagine you see them? It actually takes away my breath. I named it Violet Vale. Diana says she never saw the beat of me hitting on fancy names for places. It's nice to be clever at something, isn't it? But Diana named Birch Path. She wanted to, so I let her; but I'm sure I could have found something more poetical than plain Birch Path. Anybody can think of a name like that. But the Birch Path is one of the prettiest places in the world, Marilla."

Okay girls - if we can't do a voice recording of Anne - how about we do a round robin story and make up our own Anne girl adventure? I will start and each of us can then keep adding a paragraph or two on to it? No need to worry much about grammar - this is going to be an adventure in imagination!

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  6:30:44 PM  Show Profile
As soon as I know you are interested, I will start a new forum with our Anne Round Robin Story - this will be fun!

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  6:41:13 PM  Show Profile
favorite quote (from the movie)---

"the peddler we met on the road today!"--Anne Shirley

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

jallibunn
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Jodi
Missoula MT
USA
12 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  8:11:09 PM  Show Profile
Great books, and I was a great fan of the Wonderworks version of the movie. One of my best college friends and I decided at one point that Gilbert was the ideal man. I was working at a newspaper at the time, and one of my jobs as "the intern" was to file the photos that came in from the AP. Some of them were for movie promotions, and they let me have the ones for AGG. I gave the one of Gilbert to my friend (sitting on his horse looking tragic after Anne refuses him), and she's had it for years in a silver frame!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  7:51:06 PM  Show Profile
kathy .. i can't find my Anne books .. they are probably packed away. would be easier for me to just buy them again .. can always gift them when i find my originals (unless, of course, i gifted the originals!)

i don't remember all the anne characters .. soo .. i really can't add to the story-line .. but .. will pick up little tidbits from other postings .. and maybe add a little insert (like the tussie mussie instructions and recipe from tasha tudor's book for the picnic) if that is o.k. with you. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  12:48:55 PM  Show Profile
ok Now I have to go check out amazon for these books. My fourth grade teacher read Anne to us, but I have forgotten a lot of it, and when it was on tv I didin't watch it. Was the tv series just like the books?
NANCY JO
OH, and Kathy, you are some writter!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Fans of Anne of Green Gables Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page