florina
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Christine
Sheboygan WI
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  03:46:42 AM  Show Profile
Do any of you gals really wear your aprons in public?
Please share your personal stories and peoples reactions.
Thanks!

"Have a little bit of Fun everyday!
Do the things you love!

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  11:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Christine,
Yes. I am happy to say that my community has become very accustomed to seeing me in an apron. And I love them.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  11:40:17 AM  Show Profile
I have accidently. I just ran to the store down the street to grab one thing, looked down, and thought "Oh, well!".

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  11:56:50 AM  Show Profile
Rene! Good to see you here! How is your new job going? I was thinking about you the other day and was about to ask if anyone had heard from you recently.

The only time I've worn one in public so far is for a meetup with my chapter at a restaurant in Lansing. I got a few confused stares, but other than that no biggie. I will be wearing one again soon as soon as I design my "going to town" fancy apron for my expert apron badge. Can't wait!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  6:02:41 PM  Show Profile
We wore them everywhere we went on the Farmgirls on the Loose tour of Laura Ingalls Wilder places. A couple of stares but mostly stories about their family's aprons. One said she wished she could wear one. Personally I have grey and white hair and look like the grandmother I am so they just accept it. Oh, the power of farmgirls! Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  6:06:38 PM  Show Profile
I wear mine outside in my neighborhood all the time! I once walked down to a garage sale down the street from my house. I didn't have my apron on at the time and the garage sale lady looked at me then said "oh! I almost didn't recognize you without your apron!"

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  7:30:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm always in my apron at home -- in the yard, getting the mail, answering the door. My neighbors see me in it all the time. I'm tempted to wear it to the store. I feel rather naked without it. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  09:26:26 AM  Show Profile
The only apron I have right now has The Pink Panther cartoon charactor on it. My then 14y/o DD made it for me. I am gonna make one of my own for wearin full time once I find another sewin machine.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  8:41:45 PM  Show Profile
just got caught wearing one at Ruby's diner on the end of the Oceanside Pier, Ca. It was a birthday gift from my sister in law while at lunch and I wore it proudly home (a long walk back to the beach then another mile to my car... Red white and blue roosters all over it. Needless to say - i was the ONLY one wearing that at the beach...

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  11:12:53 PM  Show Profile
I wear an apron non stop at home, but rarely wear one to the store or like that. I DO wear one when camping, gardening, walking in the neighborhood or driving my kids places where I don't need to get out of the car. And fishing..they are great for fishing. I have a zillion aprons and they are my "uniform" for my at home time. I do daycare and alot of the little kids have never seen me without one on.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  7:25:05 PM  Show Profile
i have before, I worked in a spa for years and got used to wearing an apron, so have left with one on not even knowing, but i so don't care so....! *smile*

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  11:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Done it too girls! I love aprons so much that I've actualy designed a few skirts with built on "aprons." There is nothing more country than a girl in an apron.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  3:56:37 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes, I'll be out walking the dogs and notice I have my apron on. I've worn it to the store and library too. We wore our aprons everywhere durning the Farmgirls on the Loose tour, and recieved nothing but compliments, Carol

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  4:13:54 PM  Show Profile
I have not worn an apron in public but plan to do so in the near future. I say if ladies over 50 can be seen in those gawdy red and purple hats and be known as "red hatters", why not been seen in our aprons and be known as MJ farmgirls? Apron on ladies!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13635 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13635 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  7:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I wear mine to town lots . . . I have gotten nothing but compliments and kind words!
Wore it to the nursery (plants and flowers type) to buy my plants for my garden and the lady who checked me out said, "well aren't just too cute"!! And she meant it!!!

I make aprons and sell them at Farmers Market . . . many of the other vendors have purchased them. This is my third year doing this at Farmers Market and I honestly cannot keep up with making them. They are VERY, VERY POPULAR!!!!!!!!

I also wear mine at Farmers Market which is a vintage laundry items print and I have two old-fashioned clothespins that I wear clipped to it . . .sometimes I also wear a sign that says "FARM FRESH APRONS" which is what I call my little apron business.

YAY!! YAY!! YAY!! for aprons!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  1:20:45 PM  Show Profile
You know,I still need to make myself an apron.....2nd yr as an official farmgirl & no apron! Egads!

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net
http://www.gigulele-bag.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  8:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
All of your farmgirls are just great! I don't know if I could ever go in public and do what you do.
I do love my aprons though.
Keep up the great work ladies!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  10:04:47 PM  Show Profile
I wear an apron in the house and in my yard. I often run to the store and realise I have it on and say to myself "oh well". I am who I am and I think I look nice in an apron.
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  12:55:33 PM  Show Profile
I wear one most of the time at home and I do sometimes find myself heading out the door with it still on. My current favorite is a red apron that actually belonged to my husband's grandfather when he worked as a dishwasher in a restaurant. It isn't pretty, but it does the job and makes me smile when I think about where it came from. I also have several vintage aprons that belonged to my husband's grandmother as well. I love them too, some are cute, some are pretty, and all are well-worn and much loved :) . Someday I'll get around to photographing them and post them on the blog. And back to the original question ;) ... my middle daughter went through a phase where she wore aprons out in public frequently. She was particularly proud of the gingham one she made "all by herself" and did get lots of comments on her aprons, too. Of course, she was 8 :) .

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  10:57:38 AM  Show Profile
I have worn my apron in public. It looks really cute over a sundress. I get lots of compliments. It's really fun!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
Hamilton, Morrowville ontario, Kansas
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  1:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Much to my husband's dismay, yes! I like the smock kind for wearing out of the house...I have a couple of these even though I'm not pregant. They look neato on anyone! http://www.etsy.com/listing/40694234/maternity-smock-apron-lady-madonna

I've bought/traded a few aprons with that seller and I LOVE them. You can buy the pattern if you're feeling crafty, they're in the book that she helped write, "a is for apron". She has a copy in her shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/momomadeit?section_id=5435172

I always get nice complements when I wear her aprons out of the house!

Corrabelle
http://themayberrysparrow.com
A Kansas gal living in Ontario. Sigh.

Go to Top of Page

GrammaPam
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Pamela
Graham Washington
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  11:25:08 PM  Show Profile
I have one apron that I wear every day. I would be totally embarassed to wear to town, it is so stained from cooking, cleaning, gardening,etc. The neighbors are used to seeing me in it and comment on how pretty it is (stains and all). I really should make a new one for wearing to town. Wearing an apron just feels good, putting one on used to be part of getting dressed in the morning. It's rather like a badge of honnor for women who are serious about taking care of their home and family.

GrammaPam
Farmgirl Sister #1968
Go to Top of Page

MTNSunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Sunny
Tollhouse CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  9:57:53 PM  Show Profile
I think it's a fabulous idea! I'll keep y'all posted on my apron adventures!

Farm Chick #914
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  12:03:56 PM  Show Profile
Well I often find that I wear an apron out in public for "work" when I'm working on the merit badge videos. Kevin (our talented camera man, video editor, and co-producer) and I were out at Orphan Acres horse sanctuary recently and I brought a cute cowgirl apron. The farrier and his assistant took one look at me and said, "Well, I guess you're here to work." Right in one!

I like that wearing an apron means you're not afraid to get your hands dirty, even if you happen to be gussied up for a video. It's a chance to feel strong and feminine and to recognize a bit of our farmgirl history by giving a nod to all the apron-wearers before us.

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  10:38:38 AM  Show Profile
I just wish she'd stop trying to get me to wear one.

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl Cocinera
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dana
Chelsea OK
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  7:12:14 PM  Show Profile
I made a shop apron out of an old pair of overalls with bandanna print ruffles on the bottom and pockets. The other day I went to town and forgot to take it off. I went in to the store and post office and both places I had several women just rave about the apron. Now when I go to the store without it, the gals there ask me where my pretty apron is! Dana

Cowgirl cookin' makes you good lookin'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Aprons in Public Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page