Journaling Joy
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Aleta
Pensacola Florida
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  1:19:49 PM  Show Profile
I absolutely love aprons. I wear one every day in the kitchen. I usually eat every meal in one. Keeps my clothes clean all the time. I love to sew aprons and have given myself a challenge to try to sew each apron that's in a book called A Is For Aprons. I often head out the door to walk to our mail box that's just down our street. (City gal.) I've hurried to meet a friend or shown up for a meeting in one.
Go to Top of Page

Elkaye
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

Lisa
Brunswick ME
USA
121 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  5:47:06 PM  Show Profile
Our chapter just met yesterday for a Soup and Sew session. It was absolutely fabulousyly farmgirl fun! I booked the clubhouse in our community and we settled in with fabrics and machines. A big pot of soup on the stove, coffee brewing and we set out to make an apron. This is my first apron that I have made, I dont know why. I've been wanting to make some for a long time and havent, but I guess this was the perfect time to start. Some of our members are a bit new to sewing but we had another member that was so good about working with everyone. I think she should earn a badge of some sort for all she did yesterday to help us all out. We are planning an outing this month to the Lynden Antique and Craft Fair and the plan is to wear our aprons. I think it could be fun to do , but I'm just not sure what to think about it yet. I mean I remember my great grandma and grandma and great aunt all wearing aprons, but they always took them off before they went to town.

Seeds of Love rooted in Faith will produce a bounty...
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  5:55:56 PM  Show Profile
I just got my very first apron! It's a smock style one and I've already caught myself leaving the house with it on. Good thing it makes for a cute vest when unbuttoned and worn with jeans. I wish I could sew better/had time to sew more so I could make myself a whole slew of aprons to show off!

Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  09:59:31 AM  Show Profile
An Apron? I have a hard time wearing a simple skirt around the house and outside doing chores etc. Here's why. I live in a 800 sq. ft. condo. CLOSE neighbors! They can see everything you do and notice all. I decided in the heat of the summer to try walking around in a skirt. I'd go outside and add the compost to my worm bin, read on the patio, take the dog for a pee break, all in my skirt. I'm in suburbia....it took some time getting comfortable with that! I hope to eventually work up to aprons because I do love them, but one step at a time. Soon I'll be living in a house and not a condo, that might help too!

LR
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9366 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9366 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  4:58:01 PM  Show Profile
I wear mine at home but tend to stick with old school thought. When women wore it in their household and chores but dressed up a bit to go out in public.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Rejena
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Rejena
WY
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  7:15:18 PM  Show Profile
I am an apron fan...A SERIOUS Fan...I've been collecting, haven't created one yet.

I love wearing mine in the kitchen, in the garden, around the house, and when I go to the barn 2 miles away I'm wearing it too.

All of our chore running happens between trips to the barn, so that apron's on....It's funny....the looks I mean. Hey, if I can make someone smile...all the better!

In friendship,
Rejena

www.violetacresfarm.com
"Kid Run Boer Goat Farm"
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  8:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
Not only do I wear my apron from the time I walk into the kitchen in the morning and into the evening when doing dinner dishes, I wear it outside in the garden to the post office and all places inbetween. And I have been asked so often where I buy my aprons, but I make most of my own aprons. And my husband thought there was something sexy about me in my dresses/skirts and wearing aprons when cooking etc.

~Beth in the CA Sierras~
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  07:04:37 AM  Show Profile
My husband always loves the apron look, too. I usually wear mine when I have on clothes that are good enough to protect . . . not that often!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Princess_Of_The_Barn
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Tonya
New Douglas IL
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  8:13:25 PM  Show Profile
I adore Park Design aprons. They're a tad pricey, but for the farmgirl who has everything, another apron always rocks! The reason I like Parks is because they put a little loop at the right hip. I put a tea towel in it and I LOVE LOVE LOVE always having a towel right there. And I know for a fact that those parons can hold at least 14 eggs in the two front pockets!

Livin' the dream!
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  9:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I have, much to the chagrin of my teenage girls and my ex-uptight city slicker neighborwoman. I thought she was going to have a stroke, sputtering in my direction. Poor thing, I spent the afternoon out in the backyard in my apron with my Farmgirl Sisterhood badge blazing away while she was having her afternoon gin and tonic party.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

caseyscottage
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Stephanie
Independence MO
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  03:59:56 AM  Show Profile
I wear aprons in public all the time! I wear one to work ever day, and it stays on until I get home, through grocery shopping and other errands. I haven't noticed any strange looks from strangers, and I've even received a few compliments :)
Go to Top of Page

mountainmomma
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Miriam
Jonas Pennsylvania
USA
42 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  08:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Send mountainmomma a Yahoo! Message
I have worn an apron out in public when I used to work in a school kitchen. I would just forget I was wearing it. Now I forget to put one on.

I was checking out some aprons online and couldn't get over the prices. I'm glad I have sewn my own.

Miriam
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  09:00:41 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i love a lacy apron over blue jeans...yes, even in public!

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  7:00:46 PM  Show Profile
K, I just GOTTA ask........are you ladies wearing just the tie-around-your-waist kind or the full over-your-neck kind? Am curious who likes what and why. Personally, I wouldn't think much of wearing the waist kind. And because my DD is now afraid that I'll wear one in public (gasp!) I'll be sure to make myself one and wear it when I'm with her. Tee hee

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

FishieLPK
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Felicia
Moscow ID
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  10:31:18 PM  Show Profile
As far as I can remember, I was never embarrassed to have my mother in an apron in public! In fact, a few years ago when I was seventeen, she made us matching aprons, and we wore them together ;) I've also worn her lacy, floral butt aprons in public, too. On a SATURDAY during the summer, which meant a lot of stares from tourists. Oh, well! I actually loved being in an apron (and still do, though I don't wear one to college), and I didn't mind at all going to the store in one, and I even used the butt apron at the restaurant I was working at just last year :) I got a lot of compliments, too.

But I've been wondering, too if you guys are wearing waist aprons or the full, over-the-neck kind.

*Little Fish*
http://fishielpk.blogspot.com

Edited by - FishieLPK on May 04 2011 10:31:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  03:38:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi All, I am smiling & LOL :) I have to wear an apron in my shoppe & quite a few years ago when I worked for my neighbor, in her little dress shoppe, I wore my vintage apron, really pretty one ;) she politely told me at the end of the day not to wear it any longer but all the ladies loved it, especially the elderly ones, I heard some wonderful stories about their aprons :)I mean back in the day, aprons were wore to protect your clothes, tried explaining that to her & she is an older lady. She did get feedback from the ladies, nice comments on my behalf :) I wear mine around the house, out & about the neighborhood, I have yet to try my hand at making one. If you love aprons, pick up a copy of apron.ology, great magazine ;) I have yet to wear it beyond the neighborhood but heck I use vintage purses, hankies, jewelry, wear some vintage clothes, might as well give it a whirl ;)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  05:35:29 AM  Show Profile
I wear mine around the house and yard if I'm not fixing fences or riding. But, I'm making my bridesmaids aprons as a gift. and My best friend's Birthday is this month, I'm making her one :)

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  1:43:29 PM  Show Profile
I wore mine outside today while doing yard work including my prairie bonnet.

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  5:17:05 PM  Show Profile
I wear them when I work at the Folk Center---we all wear them. Good to wear when cooking, too.

www.pasthymesfashions.webs.com
www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  5:26:58 PM  Show Profile
If you don't have time to make an apron (or bonnet) check out the ones I make. I have some apron styles from the 30's, 40's, and 50's (no pictures yet). I copied those from old aprons I purchased at antique shops. My favorite is the bib apron that we wear at the Folk Center. I haven't seen any others like it. I learned to make it when I started working there 5 years ago. It is almost like a jumper--except the back is open like an apron. Pictures of the bib apron and how to order are on my website.

www.pasthymesfashions.webs.com
www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
Go to Top of Page

Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  7:45:02 PM  Show Profile
I wear my aprons all the time!! I love them; I think they dress up what you may be wearing. With all the ric-rac or lace. :)

Come and see what is happening at Yesterday's Farm! http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/
Go to Top of Page

ColleensCote
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Molly
Illinois
3 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  09:08:23 AM  Show Profile
My apron collection is growing. I started buying vintage aprons & have added plenty of new ones when they make my heart sing. Full aprons with a big bib are my favorite ~ of course, in fabulous colors & patterns. I think of them like dresses. I want to LOVE it. And, the ones I have, I love! I am the only in town I know who wears an apron but my own family & their friends have become so used to me in them, no one says anything anymore.

Happy to be here.

Molly
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  11:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
YOU GO GIRLS!!! I have some really cute ones... I just received one on a trade from beekeepersgirl..and It is just toooo cute..and I plan to wear it tomorrow to town! Shirl

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  3:29:54 PM  Show Profile
I love aprons, especially vintage ones. They are the first thing I look for when I go to estate sales. As a matter of fact, I have on my old fav right now. I haven't worn one shopping,but think I will tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  8:09:28 PM  Show Profile
I laughed out loud today when I realized I was putting on an apron over the garden dirt on my overalls. Well I guess they can work from either side!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Aprons in Public Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page