Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Knitting and Crocheting for Charity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting and Crocheting for Charity Next Topic
Page: of 2

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:22:04 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone else heard of Warm up America? They take donations of 7' by 9' knitted or crocheted squares, stitch them together, and give them to social services to hand out to people in need. At my local Michael's, they take donations starting in late fall. This year, I really want to send in some squares. I have wanted to in the past, but haven't ever had the motivation. Does anyone else do this? I was thinking that if us knitters and crocheters kept track of how many we make and turn in, I could calculate how many blankets that would make. We could set a goal of blank amount of blankets. Anyone who wants to can participate!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I have done this before, but hadn't last year after moving to Texas. I really enjoyed it. I will be more than willing to make the squares and turn them in. If Michael's has a drop box, I know where one is.

Count me in!!

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  1:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Yay! If your Michaels doesn't have a drop box, then there's an address that you can send them to.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  09:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I will start with offering 10. When do they need to be in by?

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  12:03:12 PM  Show Profile
Well, they don't need to be in by anytime. The charity takes donations all the time. But depending on when Michael's takes the box away and when they put it up is when it starts and ends.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  1:23:48 PM  Show Profile
I will take a look at my Michaels. have not seen a box there. I have done the 'hats for soldiers'. That is a great one. there are also online many different ones for hats, gloves, blankets, scarves for all types of charities. it is a great thing to do! Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  12:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I did scarves for soldiers back on Ohio.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  1:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
We have done this before I think and it was a great success.
I've done the warm up America thru my church years ago.

Count me in...I'll make some. I crochet and knit both.
Did you post the web site address? There are patterns there.

One thing I want to mention is in crochet the patterns had to be done very tight stitches because the squares came out too big otherwise. I used an F hook instead of a G to make them the right size. Of course we can ajust the patterns and make fewer stitches.

Here is the link:

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/warmup.html

Thanks for starting this Megan!

Time spent attempting to change others affords little time for personal change.
--Georgette Vickstrom

Edited by - yarnmamma on Aug 06 2010 7:05:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  9:49:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice Linda! I'm really excited to actually contribute something to it this year. I've already made one square, so now I just have to wait until they put the box out!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  12:11:34 PM  Show Profile
I would love to participate but there is no Michael's near me. I'd be happy to mail them though!

Farmgirl Sister #1927

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

nana5
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Rebecca
Jackson MI
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  10:40:08 AM  Show Profile
Megan,
I will check at my local Michael's. I just taught my sister and also a farmgirl to knit and this is a great way to practice lots of stitches. My daughter is also a farmgirl. I will let you know how many we do. Am I correct in remembering they should be washable yarn, not wool?
Thanks,
Rebecca

Everyday is a new beginning.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  11:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
At one of the Michal's the girl looked at me like I was looney when I asked about the barrel for Warm Up American. So I will have to check with the other one.

They are doing hats for under the helmets too. I saw them somewhere. I am just a beginner and it looks complicated.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

TexBetsy
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Betsy
Princeton TX
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  4:54:46 PM  Show Profile
I haven't taken part in Warm Up America, but have made many crocheted items for Warming Families. I'm the local volunteer for my area coordinating handmade hats, scarves, mittens, etc for The Samaritan Inn, a local homeless shelter and baby items for The Pregnancy Care Center. There are Warming Families Groups across the country.

http://www.thesamaritaninn.org/
http://www.freewebs.com/warmingfamilies/

Email me if you'd like more info!

Betsy

"God does not command that we do great things, only little things with great love" Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  11:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca, they should be washable yarn, but if you do make them out of wool, you have to specify when you turn them in or mail them in.
It is so cool all the different ways we can contribute!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  4:47:06 PM  Show Profile
This is one of my knitting and crocheting charities, "Stitches from the Heart". It's a non-profit charity with chapters across the country. Its members make all sorts of lovely knitted, crocheted and loom-knit items for babies in hospitals across the country.

Hats and blankets of course are what's most needed for babies.

I very much enjoy this charity so much that I started up my own chapter in my community and am still loving being a part of stitching with love.

This might also be something our members might enjoy when thinking about knitting and crocheting for charity.

http://www.stitchesfromtheheart.org/

Home+Yarn+Ocean-loving Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  4:52:42 PM  Show Profile
In case you are wondering, there are many chapters of SFTH across the country. When you can't find a local chapter, you can always start your own up too. I love the newsletter too that is now quarterly called "The Stitches Gazette" that is available.

If you go to the website (see above for the link) you will find lots of free patterns and find out more about this special charity that may be of interest to you, especially if you'd like to knit and crochet and loom-knit for the babies.

Happy stitching!

Home+Yarn+Ocean-loving Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  8:29:34 PM  Show Profile
I crochet for charity... currently for a group locally here called Stitches of Love.. we knit and loom knit hats for hospital babies and cancer patients and also for military groups too. WE have about 30 people in our group and about 10 of them are kids ages 6 to 13 years old!!!
My little one and I just love doing this together =)
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  9:26:36 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirl Philanthropy did a 100% Farmgirl made blanket for Warm Up America a few seasons ago! It turned out SO beautiful. Wonder if that's in the archives somewhere? I loved stitching together all those squares made by Farmgirl hands!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  06:42:17 AM  Show Profile
January and February can be quite cold outside but be very warm inside when knitting and crocheting for special projects that happen this time of the year.

One of these WINTER projects that is especially wonderful and delightful is making caps for "CAPS FOR GOOD." We are lucky here at our FARMGIRL CONNECTION to have our very own "Farmgirl Philanthropy-Caps for Good" group right here. We have made over 200 caps which are for babies in Africa, Asia, and South America who desperately do need these caps for survival.

The caps are so easy to make and it seems like the more you knit and crochet these caps..... the warmer you feel in your heart! These little hearts are small but GIANT in love and warmth for these babies.

Come on over and visit our group and let's make some more caps with love together!

"Find your own Calcutta!" Mother Teresa

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  06:49:34 AM  Show Profile
It's like Chocolate Kisses...... You make one "CAPS for Good" and you'll want to make more since each cap means so much to each baby!

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  09:24:58 AM  Show Profile
Just wondering what 2011 knitting and crocheting projects for charity our Farmgirl Sisters here are working on .......

We are certainly speeding along already in February which is a great month for stitching with love.

It's always fun hearing what others have on their knitting needles and crochet hooks.

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  09:36:00 AM  Show Profile
If any of my Farmgirl Sisters are looking for a cool and cozy place to meet up and share our knitting and crocheting skills, we are very lucky here at our FARMGIRL CONNECTION to have our very own Farmgirl Philanthropy hosted by Theresa.

We've been having a fine time making over 250+ "CAPS for GOOD" which will soon be mailed off before the deadline on the February 28th.

Later in March we'll add a new project to keep us stitching away with love. As always we'd love welcoming more Farmgirl Sisters on our Special Projects. It's really great getting together with each other!

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  09:55:18 AM  Show Profile
It's almost VALENTINE'S DAY with candies, kisses, balloons, hugs, and lots of ways to say "I LOVE YOU!"

So I'll be off this afternoon to deliver a VALENTINE'S DAY BUNCH OF LOVE ( 20 Fashion Flair Chemo Caps ) to my local Cancer Center in my community.

Here's a peek at a few of the Chemo Caps that I'll be taking over this afternoon....

I'm also taking a separate bag loaded up with 12 Fashion Flair chemo caps for the "LOOK GOOD FEEL BETTER PROGRAM" that is sponspored by the American Cancer Society.

I figure it's just not right for CANCER to rob us of the joy and love of Valentine's Day. So this is my way to put love right back into VALENTINE'S DAY for Cancer Patients undergoing chemotherapy and give a kick to Cancer for being a thief!

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  5:04:47 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,
Here in Las Cruces, NM we meet every 3rd Wednesday to create and then deliver handmade Blankets and Quilts to Children for PROJECT LINUS. I've been with the group for almost 2 years now, and really enjoy the get together' s. We have more than 100 members creating these beautiful blankets. I also like the idea of taking the blankets directly to local hospitals and first responders, like fire departments, shelters .... This way we know the blankets will arrive where they're supposed to. The blankets are for children from newborns to 18 years of age. Check if you have a local Chapter of PROJECT LINUS if you are looking for a worthy cause.
Petra
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  11:10:29 PM  Show Profile
Petra,

I am also a "blanketeer" (that's what we are called) for my local "Project Linus" since the fall of 2008. You can knit, crochet or quilt your blanket. You can select what size to make your blanket too. I prefer crocheting or knitting my blankets which I usually make for babies and toddlers. I donate about 4-5 a year to this group.

In my local chapter, we are asked to make at least 2 blankets a year to stay as an active member of this non-profit charity. But our local chapter doesn't have any meetings. Our coordinator just blasts out emails. That's pretty much the only communication we get for the most part. Our coordinator and co-coordinator are pretty active in seeing that the blankets get distributed though we don't do any of the personal deliveries. We just get a postcard telling us the new home of our blankets.

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  3:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Nice to meet you, Teresita,

Yes, we are also called Blanketeers and we receive a Project Linus Badge to signify our members. If I'm not too busy making rugs, I can crochet 3-4 blankets a month. I'm also going to sew a few baby quilts soon. Have you seen the group website: www.projectlinus.org
Having fun,
Petra

quote:
Originally posted by SantaTeresita

Petra,

I am also a "blanketeer" (that's what we are called) for my local "Project Linus" since the fall of 2008. You can knit, crochet or quilt your blanket. You can select what size to make your blanket too. I prefer crocheting or knitting my blankets which I usually make for babies and toddlers. I donate about 4-5 a year to this group.

In my local chapter, we are asked to make at least 2 blankets a year to stay as an active member of this non-profit charity. But our local chapter doesn't have any meetings. Our coordinator just blasts out emails. That's pretty much the only communication we get for the most part. Our coordinator and co-coordinator are pretty active in seeing that the blankets get distributed though we don't do any of the personal deliveries. We just get a postcard telling us the new home of our blankets.

Farmgirl Sister #2503

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting and Crocheting for Charity Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page