Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Am I losing my mind? Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  7:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
We've been in our new home almost a month and are having a great time. Well there's been a couple of things come up, but I wouldn't call them awful problems.

But there seems to be one nagging thing for my oldest daughter. She's been hearing strange noises. Most things I could explain away as old house noises. Afterall the house is 110 years old, she ought to creak and groan a little.

A couple of times I've heard some noises I can't quite brush off as a house noise. (All though I'm still trying to come up with a "reasonable" explanation.)

The first noise was at night. I hadn't been in bed long and wasn't even close to sleep yet, when I heard what I thought was a stack of boxes fall over upstairs and glasses rattling together. I thought possibly a critter had made it's way into the upstairs and knocked some stuff over so I went to check it out and nothing. Nothing was there and nothing was out of place. My oldest daughter and the dog also heard this.

Then for the really fun noises I heard this mornin- are some loud thumping sounds coming from upstairs (I think these could be some kind of weird house noise.), but I've also heard what sounds like big band music playing and a muffled conversation. These didn't last for very long and I really wonder if it's my mind and my ears playing tricks on me.

Any ideas on what could be making these noises? I don't feel threatened or scared, but Cat's pretty freaked out. Just trying to ease her mind.

Thanks~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/

Edited by - melanie47601 on Aug 01 2010 7:40:00 PM

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  7:43:25 PM  Show Profile
sounds like some spirits are letting you know they are there, ask them firmly to keep it down at night, and to please not frighten your daughter, most of the time they will do as you ask, but your daughter might have to ask them also. Don't be afraid, they can't and won't hurt you, but they are giving you clues to your houses history, and that I would love...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  8:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Cool! We have a cat ghost in our house and its not nearly as interesting.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  8:37:25 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like some previous tenants.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  8:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow, Melanie!! Sounds like you are sharing your house with some pretty important spirits of the past!! That's so intriguing............keep us updated!! My daughter wants to know if you felt any cold air before or after you heard the noises? She's pretty convinced about the spirits around us and finds it all very interesting! I'm with Teresa in that the house holds so much history and wouldn't it be fun to research it!!

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  10:02:18 PM  Show Profile
I have had a lot of problems with noises in our house. I got mad and made my DH stay up and listen for them one night. He decided to check the attic and found out we had bats and a squirrel up there! We also had some boxes of stuff with dates from over 50 years ago! The squirrels were gettin into them and the mice. Most of the papers and clothes were just shreds, but there were some really cool bottles and a few glasses that hadn't been broken. My dad collects bottles, so he was happy with them, and I have the cups on display in my kitchen. We have fixed the attic vent they were comin in through. My DH chased the squirrel out first, then caught the bats in a pillow case and carried them outside. It was really scary for my oldest till we figured it out though.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  05:06:15 AM  Show Profile
Interesting.

I lived in a house once where strange things happened. It was spooky to me, I didn't really like it because I didn't know if it was good or bad. I made my mind up to not let my mind dwell on it or be actively spooked about it. Soon everything became less and then stopped.

I also moved. I had a baby, and didn't want to fool around with anything wierd.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  05:24:19 AM  Show Profile
I get that in my house in Attica. I used to think the kids left the TV on in the living room or that they were having a party. I soon realized in order to stop the noise I would have to get out of bed and just walk out of my room. Only about a foot but it stopped the noise. I aways said you can stay I just don't want to see you. I never have seen anyone but my brother always said he was playing with the man with the beard.

Sometimes when I was really stressed I would wake up feeling like someone was sitting on the bed and rubbing my back. That was scary but I always felt better, it was like knowing everything was going to be OK.

Just tell them not to scare you or your children and that they can stay. After all it may have been their home before you moved in.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  05:46:59 AM  Show Profile
I would hear noises but my husband would say it was the heating system or the house expanding. Sometime I thought I would hear someone call me and answer them thinking someone came in, but no one there. When my son was little he would tell me he didnt want the little boy in the house playing with his toys at night. He wokeup one night and hysteria and said the train was coming and he was scared. My house was built in 1847 so it does have some history and a # of families that did live here. I never looked into any of it because I felt better off not knowing what went on here. We have been in house for 40 years, once in a while I still hear noises and calling but try not to pay attention. I do know my father in law died in this house and I keep in my mind he is watching over us.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  07:24:18 AM  Show Profile
I think you have company in your house, the big ole farmhouse I grew up in had some unexplained noises and things that would get moved or disappear. One time my sisters and I were home alone and all upstairs and heard nosies like someone doing the dishes downstairs, freaked us out totally

our greatest glory is not in never falling but in getting up every time we do (confucious)
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  07:32:52 AM  Show Profile
I live in a 170 year old farmhouse and on occasion I'll see gray shadows moving around. The best place for "visits" is at my kitchen sink. I've had the sensation of someone touching my shoulder that was so real I quickly turned to see who it was, knowing I was home alone. A couple of times I could smell this perfume and knew it wasn't mine cuz I mostly smell like Castile soap or vanilla. Enjoy the spirits...maybe they need your help. I'd look into the background of your house just for the fun of it....
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  09:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Is it mean of me to say I'm glad we're not alone in this? heehee

Lin~ nope no cold chills. My guy the first night he saw the house had major cold chills and goose bumps. But I think he's the only one to experience tht so far.

I think you may be on to something Angela. We do have a lot of bats in the area. I wish they would do a better job of eating the mosquitos. hahaha My son said he saw some go down the old chimney. But I haven't seen them in the upstairs rooms. All the boxes stored up there are from our previous home. So I don't think they would be very mousey yet. What kinds of noises did your bats make?

Cat had another night of hearing of every pop, crack and thump and decided to sit in my bed and have me explain every one of them. I'm pretty pooped out today and that's bad cause I have a lot that needs to be done. And she really needs to get her bedtime routine in place. School start the 11th of this month. I think after listening and explaining different sounds last night and a few off the wall sounds, I think Cat's a little more used to the noises. Now if she can just learn to sleep through them. *sigh*

I think it wold be fun to check into the old history. Hmmm maybe if I ever get some free time.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  4:59:53 PM  Show Profile
When we're at my mom's house and it's quiet, sometimes we hear
what sounds like a stack of books sliding to the floor. Same EXACT
noise every time, always upstairs when there's no one up there.
Her house is from the 20's.
We used to live in an OLD farmhouse, it had 3 attics.
Had really weird stuff happen there, I wouldn't live there again!
Both my sister and I had strange dreams about the house, and
it was creepy. Certain places in the house were scarier than others.
It had an old slaughterhouse next door, that had been converted
into a small house. That house was worse than the one we lived in!
Definitely rule out "house noises" first, though. Bats can be noisy too!

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  6:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Mel, I have a few different theories. It could very well be some critters in your walls or your attic. But like someone else said before, your house could be expanding because of the summer heat. That happens to our house every year, and sometimes the house noises creep me out, but it happens. You could also be housing some ghosts and spirits. Like everyone has said, just ask them to be polite and they can stay!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  8:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Melanie:
If I were you, I'd do some research on the house. Sounds like a few spirits are there. I'd let them know how you are feeling towards their noises. Some spirits will go away if you ask. There is a reason they are there. Seems like they are holding on to something. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  7:22:46 PM  Show Profile
I agree sounds like you have some visitors from the past. Do check out the bat and squirrel theory though, we had that once when I was a kid. They knocked things over in the attic all the time. The house we live in now is only 30 years old and only had one family in it before we moved in. We don't have any weird noises but then we have so many pets it would be hard to tell. LOL However, we do have a young girl in a white nightgown that visits us when we don't feel well. My daughter was the first one to see her but since then one of my other daughter, my sister and I have all seen her. She is very quiet never any noise and doesn't stay long but tends to check on us from time to time if we are ill. I had surgery 5 years ago and saw her several times during my recovery. Just make friends with them if they don't turn out to be bats.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  8:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I had a little free time the other day and was thinking how I could go about searching my home's history. I thought start with property records, but I don't think that's going to cut it. Before my aunt bought the house it was a rental property. The previous owner had it for many years, not sure how many and not sure how many people she rented to and she passed away a couple of years ago. I wonder if there's another way to search for previous renters?

DD went through mamaw's old collection of 8 track tapes yesterday and came up with some interesting finds- Glenn Miller (big band) and Pipe organ (she hears this sometimes at night). My mamaw loved to listen to the radio. She was a big John Denver fan though, but she had quite a collection of old 8 tracks. I told Cat if she ever hears a Cardinal's game playing in the kitchen, it's for sure mamaw. heeheehee

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  7:16:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mel!
You can check old census records, they'll have the names of who lived at the address, listed every 10 years. Good luck!

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  07:26:23 AM  Show Profile
I was caretaking a farm, not living in the main house. There was always a very disturbing feel to the house as the sun went down. I got to the point where I couldn't go in the main house after evening at all. The first night my ex and I stayed at the farm, we stayed in the main house. He was in the living room, I already went to bed. I woke up feeling like someone was in the bedroom and was going to kill me. I screamed and my husband came running. I told him what happened and he said he had felt the same thing the night before when he stayed there by himself. I hated that place. My parents stayed a few times and my mom always said she couldn't sleep there because it felt like someone angry was in there. We talked to the nearest neighbors and it turns out that, at the turn of the century, there was a man who lived there and would get mail order brides. They would always turn up missing. One night, he had a big bonfire going and some townspeople went up and some of the men could see a hand sticking out of the fire. I hated that place. The ex and I parted ways 4 years later and I moved away. End of story.

----------------------------------------------------------

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/
Become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Natured-Earthling/85786527923

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  07:37:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh Suzanne! Did the man get put in jail?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  07:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
That is awful, Suzanne! I'm so glad you got out of there.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  09:02:28 AM  Show Profile
I don't know what happened to the guy. That's all I was told. It happened in the early 1900s.

----------------------------------------------------------

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/
Become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Natured-Earthling/85786527923

Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  8:51:53 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne's story is scary! we lived in an old farmhouse years ago and we knew we shared it with spirits. they were scary at first and definitely wanted us to know they were there. once we figured out they didn't really want anything from us, we settled down and so did they. I agree that usually if you ask them to respect your space and not scare your daughter, they will. do you know anyome who is psychic who could come check it out for you? you could always smudge too. that might make your daughter feel better.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  12:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
It's funny you bring up finding a psychic, Rhonda. My guy brought that up when we moved in. But the thing that took me by surprise about this is that he doesn't believe in psychics at all. I don't really have the extra money to have someone come "read" the house, but I have thougt about trying to see if I can find a psychic that just starting explore that part of themself and ask if they want to "practice on my house.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

PilgrimSoul
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Jessie
NJ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  07:28:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

Cool! We have a cat ghost in our house and its not nearly as interesting.

A cat ghost? Cool! My cat passed away over a year ago, and I always wonder if he's around.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  3:06:02 PM  Show Profile
Please do some research on your house and share what you find out. I love history and it sounds like you are living a house with some to share.
delicia
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Am I losing my mind? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page