Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Gluten Free Issue Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  3:48:42 PM  Show Profile
I have seen more topics on gluten free of late, or maybe it is I notice them more now that I am supposed to be off gluten. I don't have celiec disease but am intolerant of gluten. When I received the diagnoses my first thought was "What am I going to eat?" I didn't eat a lot of meat, some chicken now and then when I could find free range or organic, a little pork, but most pasta, rice and veggies and bread. I love bread.

Now, all that pasta is out along with the bread. My first thought was to go grab some cook books, but all they talked about was all these flours, millet, brown rice, tapioca, etc and xanthum gum. What the heck is xanthum gum. It was too much for a someone undergoing such a drastic change. I did find brown rice pasta, so bought some of that. It's not the same but I don't mind it on occasion.

In one issue Mary Jane gave a few recipes for gluten free Valentine's treat. That was great. No xanthum gum mentioned at all. But what I needed was how do I eat now? I managed through lunch and dinner -- meat, veggies and a grain like rice that I could do, but what about breakfast? What was I going to eat now?

I'd love to see an issue that covered the transition to gluten free because I'm sure there are lots of other folks out there that will go through what I did. Many already have and have been gluten free for years. Give some meal examples, especially breakfast. I know for me it was easier to avoid the baked goods in the beginning. I ate a lot of soup for breakfast. Eggs, the other normal breakfast item, was on my not to touch list for a few months. Now I can add them in, but not all the time. Last night I made a rice crust quiche. Breakfast was easy this morning and quite enjoyable.

Awareness of this disease is growing as I had to spend a week in a hotel less than a month into my transition a found a restaurant that served gluten-free. I went there often.

Laurie

Best Growing

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  4:44:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to include more raw foods in my diet since I have the cancer. If you get millet groats and buckwheat groats and soak them in the fridg. for 10 hours. I havn't tried it yet, but I found a great website for raw food recipes.
For breakfast I usually have organic turkey sausage, buckwheat or gluten free oatmeal. Chicken sausage, with millet biscuit or amaranth, quinoa or rice flour. I make an oven pancake using on of those grains and eggs. I alternate one each day so I don't eat the same thing everyday. I can't eat pork so you could add that meat in with the other two and a grain.
You can make your own granola with plain yogurt and fruit. Add nuts and seeds for your protein.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  4:46:35 PM  Show Profile
The xanthun gum is to use to get the flours to rise that don't have gluten in them. I use it along with baking powder and baking soda in my bread recipes. You only have to use a little bit. I don't use it in my pancake recipes. I also use it because I can't use yeast.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  4:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laurie --
I went gluten free two years, fell off the wagon and paid the price for it over the last year, and I'm back to being good about taking care of me. I have found the yogurts and string cheeses are helpful. Also, I know it seems a pain with all the different "flours" but I learned that I could use a grain mill and grind rice into rice flour and I hardly ever use the xanthan gum, I have it, I just rarely use it. Cornbread is great! I figured out that the little bit of wheat flour that goes into cornbread batter can easily be substituted with rice flour and their is absolutely zero discernable difference. It takes time, patience, and getting over the frustration (I know I was so frustrated) in re-learning how to cook.
Be blessed, and your in my thoughts and prayers.
Melissa
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  5:35:32 PM  Show Profile
I like millet flour the best. Fruit is always a good choice for breakfast. Xanthan gum holds the baked goods together. You can use plain gelatin instead. You can eat millet or quinoa whole cooked for breakfast if you don't like oatmeal. I like cream of rice with some coconut milk, cardamom, and stevia. Tastes like rice pudding. Rice pudding would be good too. Most recipes can be adjusted. It just takes getting used to. I discovered the trick to getting good gluten-free bread is slow rise. Let it rise overnight in the oven. My favorite cookbook is "The Best Ever Wheat and Gluten-Free Baking Book". Cooking GF isn't the problem. Baking is.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  06:16:56 AM  Show Profile
You are right there Liz. It is about the baking.

thanks Ladies!

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  06:32:39 AM  Show Profile
General Mills Chex cereals are gluten free. I buy mine at Wal-mart. I eat eggs, nuts and fruit, cooked flaked quinoa with honey and cinnamon in the winter, and lots of fruit in the summer. Sometimes I eat gluten free bread products, but they just don't set well with my stomach. I have a crustless quiche I fix for Sunday breakfast also.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  4:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Kem, would you share the crustless quiche recipe??? yummy.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  5:23:40 PM  Show Profile
I finally figured out my gluten intolerance two and a half years ago. It has required some creativity but I have my life and health in such a great place now! There are more and more gluten free choices at the grocery stores and restaurants, but I live in Boulder County so I might not have a good appreciation for the rest of the planet! My favorite bread is the Pamela's bread mix that I make in my bread machine. Turns out perfect, soft and yummy every time and you can add things to it like sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, etc.
Good luck!
Deborah

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret B. Runbeck
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  8:23:35 PM  Show Profile
My mom is a rice lover so we used to eat a lot of rice for breakfast, served hot like oatmeal and with all the stuff that you would add to oatmeal-butter, milk, sugar. I always liked it that way. Only thing.........I liked it with toast! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  6:30:06 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, So sorry I didn't catch your request for the crustless quiche. Here is the recipe. Our local bed and breakfast made a cookbook of the dishes it serves. This is one of the best sellers.

Crustless Quiche,

6 eggs
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 T. cornstarch
dash of tobasco sauce
dash of nutmeg
2 c shredded cheese
1 c swiss cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute any meat and vegetable combo you choose. For instance, ham, onions, pepper, and mushroom. After the veggies are cooked put the mixture in a deep pie plate or medium size rectangular casserole dish. Beat eggs till fluffy, add cream, flour, tobasco sauce, and nutmeg and beat well. Put mixed cheeses in a pile in the dish. Make an indention or well in the middle of the cheese and pour egg mixture in indention. Bake about 50 minutes. It should be a bit brown on top. This is a high calorie dish, but is it soooooooo good!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  07:14:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks. I can't wait to try this.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

HennyPenny5
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Penny
ID
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  10:52:32 PM  Show Profile
My daughter intolerant to just about everything...wheat, spelt, rye,eggs, dairy. We eat a lot of rice. I buy the gluten free baking mixes in bulk from amazon. Typical breakfasts for her are: Monday-Cream of rice-Bobs red mill with fruit or syrup. Tuesday-Vans Gluten free waffles with fruit and sausage. Wednesday-Twice rice cereal with rice milk and 2 slices of Ezekiel bread and PB. Thursday-Bobs Steel cut oats oatmeal with fruit and sliced ham. Friday-leftover stirfry. Saturday-GF pancakes from mix, fruit and nuts or pb. Sunday-leftovers
We eat lots of lentils, thai food, chinese using rice noodles and our favorite noodle substitute Tinkaya pasta. Really tastes like pasta.
Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

gluten free sourdough
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

sharon
ashland ma
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  02:51:59 AM  Show Profile
I am intolerant to many foods, gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, yeast, sugars, alcohol, coffee, shellfish. I was very ill for a long time but when I took these foods out of my diet I was able to completely recover. I also began experimenting with fermented foods which repopulated my intestines with natural, live probiotics. Finally, after 17 years, my health has never been better.
For breakfast I eat either whole grain amaranth or teff, cooked like oatmeal although I soak it the night before. I also soak nuts and seeds the night before, drain them and mix them in the hot amaranth or teff, sprinkle on some cinnamon and flax oil. It's a powerful breakfast and easy to digest.
For my other meals I eat a grain like rice or quinoa with veggies and some protein like meat, fish or beans.

In the course of my food experiments I developed a gluten free sourdough technique which eliminates the need for yeast, chemical leavners and xanthan gum, which is a very strange substance. The breads are great, have a long shelf life and are easy to digest. I offer my starter recipe to people in a free download: http://www.sanctuary-healing.com/food-recipes.html
It's good for breads, muffins and pancakes.

Good luck with changing over your diet. I feel sure you'll feel better and better.

Eat Well
Go to Top of Page

MamaRhi
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Rhiannon
Livermore CA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  12:37:21 AM  Show Profile
I would love to see an issue about the transition to gluten free. I'd love to write part of it too! :)

I've been working on being gluten free for about 4 months now and I am feeling so much better! I do get a lot hungrier though!

Breakfast I usually make eggs, sausage with veggies and gluten-free granola with soy milk (I'm also severely lactose intolerant) or a gluten-free english muffin or bagel. My kids eat cereal rather than my granola and we're all happy. My son also pointed out that Envirokids cereal (his favorite) is gluten-free!

Lunch I like soup, chili, or maybe a sandwich using Udi's gluten-free bread. Gluten-free bread was such a turn off till I tried Udi's! Yum! I'm going to start trying to bake my own GF bread once the weather cools down a bit.

We eat a lot of rice and quinoa with dinners but I have also found GF pastas. It takes careful attention to cook them right. Often they are either undercooked or they become mush from overcooking.

I was avoiding xantham gum for a while due to the cost but once I bought some I realized that you use just a bit and it is so worth it! One pan of gluten free chocolate brownies sold me on the idea! Oh, one thing I have learned from baking gluten-free is that the flours seem to be finer and absorb more liquid, making the finished product drier than expected.

As for making the flour choice easy, Bob's Red Mill makes a good gluten-free flour mix. Just use it with xantham gum in place of flour.

I have a book called 1000 Gluten Free Recipes and it explains things well. Also has a good formula for a flour mixture.

Single Mama living her off-the-grid dream life...
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SuomiSidhe
Go to Top of Page

gluten free sourdough
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

sharon
ashland ma
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  03:14:27 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to repeat what I wrote in my post below about breakfasts. There are two fantastic whole grains, Teff and Amaranth. They can be purchased online. They are very potent grains. When I switched to gluten-free I struggled with breakfast for a while. Then I tried these grains and realized I had found power food!

The night before put 1 cup of either of these grains or a mix of them in a pot. Pour 3 cups of water into the pot. Cover and let sit overnight. This predigests the grain, making it easier for you to digest this. (this step is very beneficial for people with gluten intolerance since our intestines are very stressed.)

In the morning bring to a boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. The grain is done when it thickens up.

I cannot eat dairy or eggs so for morning protein I mix nuts and seeds with the grain. I also soak these the night before, making them easier to digest. Soaking also makes nutrients more available to us.
I use sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pecan, almonds, brazils, peanuts. Soak them overnight, drain off and discard the water in the morning and mix into hot cooked grain.

Add a dash of flax seed oil and some cinnamon.
It will get easier for you, I'm sure.

Eat Well
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  06:16:47 AM  Show Profile
I found a mediterranean restaraunt here in Sioux falls that does gluten fere. I was so excited we've gone three days running for lunch. The best part is that she created a cookbook and the majority of the desert recipes do not use xanthum gum. She played with many recipes and folks voted. She also has a U-tube demonstration on many items. Sanaa is her name. I haven't checked them out yet, but I love what she is serving so far.

Laurie
p.s. thanks for some hints on the breakfast stuff. I'm learnign more and more as time goes by.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Gluten Free Issue Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page