Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Gluten Free Advice Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  09:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
I am in the process of starting a business that would cater to those on speciality diets Gluten free, dairy free, diabetes. ect. For those of you that need products or would like a restaurant to go to that you can eat at and not get sick could you give me some advice. What you would like to see in a store/bakery/groceries/resturant that would cater to your needs. Any suggestions that you can make would be very helpful. I am finishing up my business plans and looking for a location to house this venture in. I too had to live on the gluten free diet 12 years ago and it was tough. With so many more products and suppliers carrying more products I just want to know your opinion or suggestions on this subject. Thank you
P.S. I would be including a web based business also.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  07:16:27 AM  Show Profile
Betty Jo,

Best of luck to you. Having just had to switch to gluten free it was tough. Mostly because I didn't just want to the substitute for wheat items. I wanted to be able to eat and not think about xanthum gum. That may not help you. What I am doing, is trying straight substitution. Buckwheat has been great, though I haven't baked too many items yet. Pancakes - subtitute buckwheat for wheat. The BF made biscotti last night using the buckwheat instead of wheat and they came out great.

So if I was walking into your restaurant I'd want to see meat dishes with lots of vegetables and a grain I could do, such as millet, quinoa, amaranth or rice. I crave baked goods still, but there are many others on here that have been gluten free longer and know the ins and outs.

good luck
Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  09:46:32 AM  Show Profile
There is a gluten free store that opened near us last year called, Poppa Knutes. It is small and nice. I can actually walk from end to end with no problem.
I only eat organic gluten free foods. So, that is what I shop for. I also look for any packaged mixes for sauces and gravies that are in that catagory. I found a company online called Anke.ca that carries dessert mixes and another that has the mixes for main dishes called Mrs. Leepers. The really hard to find organic gluten free stuff is what I'd love to see in a store instead of me having to spend hours hunting online and then paying for shipping from all these different stores.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  1:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Thank you ladies!!! Anyone one else out there have an suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  8:15:49 PM  Show Profile
My dream gluten-free location would have amazing bread that could make me forget my dietary limitation. A place to eat breakfast treats and drink coffee. Those are the two things that I miss the most and make me want to cheat on the diet.

Farmgirl #1951
Home is a gift that should be opened every day.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  3:45:11 PM  Show Profile
I too have been gluten free for 10 years. I would love to go into a place to eat and be able to eat good quality pancakes and waffles, things like battered fried onion rings, breaded chicken strips, pizza, a good cinnamon roll, and also a deli for sandwhiches. It would great to have a small gluten free store with this venture. I am always looking for snacks and things to take while traveling. My grandson is gluten and lactose intolerant. Good quality food would be wonderful. Our little store is not celiac friendly at all. I travel over 2 hours many times to get my food. I also order off of Amazon.com. I know every health food store in a four hour radius. Not fun trying to deal with this condition.
Go to Top of Page

florina
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Christine
Sheboygan WI
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  02:26:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello Betty Jo,
I would say basically the gluten-free alternatives to all our favorite comfort foods for the restaurant and the store and of course cookbooks. Also going organic and useing local produce,eggs and grass fed-Beef and also possibly taking on consignment "Local Farm Girl Made Products". I think a place like this, would just about be "Heaven on Earth"! :)

Hugs, Christine aka: "Florina"

"Have a little bit of Fun everyday!
Do the things you love!
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  06:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Ladies THANK YOU!!!!! All of your comments have been recorded and are just what I was thinking. I have been tossing this store around for a couple of years. If any one else has some suggestions please let me know. If anyone has a receipe for a favorite Gluten-free dish and would like to pas it on Please do I will give you credit if it gets used in the store.

Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
Hamilton, Morrowville ontario, Kansas
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  2:05:47 PM  Show Profile
My neice has just had to switch to glueten free (she's only 2.5 years old...poor kid). The thing that she begs for the most is pizza! she found out that she is allergic to: (get ready..)
Wheat
Rice
rye
spelt
(ok, and a whole other crazy list of grains.)
Milk, eggs, soy, nuts of all forms, apples, pears, garlic, tomatoes, and oysters. I'm SURE i'm forgetting something, but you get the idea.

My son is allergic to wheat, spelt, soy, eggs and whey/milk, and we've managed to find a lot of alternatives. He doesnt have it near as bad as my niece though, poor kid.

A Kansas gal living in Ontario. Sigh.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  07:22:21 AM  Show Profile
ouch. yeah it can be crazy the list of allergies. rice too makes it tough. Hopefully your niece can eat some of the other grains.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  07:57:13 AM  Show Profile
At least she isn't allergic to potatoes! So we've been making a lot of things with potato flour. (I even made a sour dough bread with a starter made from potato flour. It worked pretty well!)
She has the allergies because she was on antibiotics for an entire year with a kidney reflux as an infant. Our natropath told us that basically long term antibiotics will cause an allergic reaction to the foods that were consumed the most during the period where she took the medicine. Some of it shows up as a rash, other times it's in diahrea or behavioral issues. (eek, you should see my son on red or yellow food coloring!)
Anyway, there's hope that she could out grow it!They said in a year that we can start to reintroduce foods to her one by one and she very well may be able to have them again. We just have to start from scratch.
Probiotics are supposed to help as well, so she's been having a lot of those!!

My son on the other hand has never had an antibiotic in his life, so he may or may not grow out of his. His aren't extreme though, none of them will cause him greif unless he consumes a lot of them in a short period of time.. So the occasional pizza is OK. We just can't over do it, as consuming too much of something that he's allergic to can lead to IBS or other similar problems later in life.

Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  07:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and yes, she does eat millet, buckwheat, amaranth and quinoa! Thank GOD for these.

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  1:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
WOOHOO Thank you!!!!! Since starting this adventure I have run into so many people with allergy stories that I can not believe no one has already started a store like this in town. So many of us have been taking antibiotics and other prescriptions that has cause issues to our bodies. I am almost done with the business plan and to the fun stuff now. Naming my market, decorating, and designing. So if anyone has a fun name for a local, natural, organic market catering to those who have special diet needs PLEASE!!!!! pass them on along with decorating ideas. Looks like I will be moving into a small craftsman style house. Starting small but have a second building already planned to enlarge the deli/restaurant/bakery in the near future.

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  10:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
So my little house fell through so now looking at other downtown locations. Still looking for a name for the market. Does anyone know or make Gluten free personal products that they would like to wholesale? Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

duckmama
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Robin
Minnesota
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  07:08:59 AM  Show Profile
We have been Gluten Free for 7 years due to my husbands diagnosis with Celiac disease. I can tell you he misses being able to have "real ". Bread slices that are "normal" size are important to him. We have managed a decent sour dough, but still am struggling for a good dark bread recipie.

Good Luck

Driven 2 Distraction

Designing Green
Living Green
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  3:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
Well my product line has grown and after the first I will have signed contract with wholesalers. I have created a page on facebook called The Local Market LLC not much on it as of yet but it will start growing fast. I have just gotten an account for FRESH gluten free bakery!!!! They also carry B-day, wedding and specialty cakes too. Along with a ton of other products. Most local to Wisconsin but I even have a product from France. This journey has been very exciting. Have one store front picked out but if it falls through my doctor has offered his front office for me to start in.

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  3:58:11 PM  Show Profile
While I'm apparently not Celiac, I have a bad reaction to wheat and gluten. If I even handle wheat my hands sometimes swell and itch. I am going to try to go gluten free at my doctors advice. I appreciate any thing that you can do for the gluten free community! How exciting!!! I have to be gluten free and my sweetie , Andrew is diabetic. We are always looking for gluten-free and lower carb foods. Thank you!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  12:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
I would like to find a good tasting gluten-free bread.

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  11:19:39 AM  Show Profile
Look into the almond flour book. I have tried a number of the recipes and found them wonderful. Even breads that made me wonder what I was attempting.

My health food store carries Bob Mill's Almond flour which is nearly $10 a pound! and they have some almond meal in the cooler section at $3/pound. I was worried that the meal wouldn't work, but so far so good. I'm loving it.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  12:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
SO we had to change the name to get a website. Nature's Way Local Market. We have a store front it's a little small but starting small is not always bad. I will start with packaged goods. I have found an AWESOME bakery that will let me retail their products (I will be their first retailer)and they are yummy. Besides great bread they offer all kinds of other yummies and decorated cakes. I will also have two other lines of meal mixes that are gluten free, dairy, nut, soy free and vegan. Sounds not to yummy but boy was my DH fooled. Of course I did add meat for him but still yummy. I am know looking for a Gluten free Baby food line any ideas. Opening date May 1st with the local farmers market.

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  07:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
I am looking for a organic, gluten free baby food line to carry in my new store. Anyone have any ideas?

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Gluten Free Advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page