Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 How do you make yoyos for quilting and adornment?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How do you make yoyos for quilting and adornment? Next Topic  

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  6:14:08 PM  Show Profile
I am almost finished with a huge cross stitch picture I've been working on for months. My next project is to make an apron and earn a merit badge. I'm thinking about adding yoyos as adornment. Can anyone share a fast easy way to make them. I head back to teaching school on Tuesday.
Thanks!

Edited by - carolj on Jul 28 2010 6:14:52 PM

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  03:08:35 AM  Show Profile
Cut out a circle, size will depend on the finished yo-yo. I use an old cd as a template and end up with a 2" yo-yo.
Fold over the edge to the wrong side a little more than a 1/4" and run a gathering stitch all the way around and when you get all the way around gather up and finish with a couple of stitches. The further apart your stitches are, the flatter the yo-yo will lie. It's so quick to do one this way that you could experiment.
I have a yo-yo maker but not really convinced that it's worth getting it out.
Have fun.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

http://www.birchtreefarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  05:12:46 AM  Show Profile
Here is a great link with pictures to help you! I love them!
http://www.ehow.com/how_4823133_sew-fabric-yoyos.html

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  07:26:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to you both for the answer. I love the idea of using an old CD for a pattern. Thanks for the Scripture references tagged to your directions. On that note, I will recommend a book that is changing my life Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. God is teaching me through this book that He loves each one of us UNCONDITIONALLY! Blessings to you both. Carol
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  08:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Clover makes a yo yo maker. It makes the process easier and more accurate. They come in several sizes. I got one at Hobby Lobby. Check it out. I haven't used it yet.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  6:01:56 PM  Show Profile
I've made lots of yo-yo's the way that Angie describes. I'm tempted at times by the yo-yo makers, but the last time I looked at them, I couldn't figure out how they would work. I think yo-yo's are fun to make and use. I even stuffed some to make snowmen this winter for Christmas. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  10:00:44 PM  Show Profile
I love my Clover yo yo maker! Super cheating :D

Sister #1213

Farm-made aprons and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  10:26:34 PM  Show Profile
The Clover yo-yo maker makes a task I never looked very forward to lots of fun! It's one of those things you have to use to figure out and not just look at the directions. There's even one that makes 1/2" finished yo-yo! I'm using those as holly berries on a Christmas crazy quilt block. They're so-o-o-o cute! Creative minds think alike, Carol. I have a bunch of yo-yo's already made to trim an apron....also for a possible badge! Just have to get the apron itself made. Good Luck with yours.

Blessed be,*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  5:50:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again for the ready answers. I am new to chatting in a chat room and think this is a great place to start. I'll try Angie's method first while watching the ehow directions, then maybe head on over to Hobby Lobby to find the Clover yoyo maker.

Peace to all,

carolj
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  03:53:48 AM  Show Profile
And thank-you on the book suggestion Carol. I'll add it to my ever expanding reading wish list! I enjoy listening to Nancy Leigh DeMoss on K-love in the mornings, so I am sure I will enjoy her book.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

http://www.birchtreefarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  05:54:35 AM  Show Profile
MMMM It has been years since I made a YoYo, lol. And never saw the special makers either, I don't even think they are here (as far as I know )

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  06:12:54 AM  Show Profile
Linda, Thanks for the encouragement to try to yo-yo makers. I'll have to try one. I love using them for all sorts of things - the little one sounds perfect for many things, and the holly berries sound very pretty. The little circle would be perfect for many uses on my angel/doll clothes. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  3:00:14 PM  Show Profile
I just bought the YoYo maker thingy! I have made ONE YoYo. I did just have to do it to figure it out. The lady at the quilt store told me her 10 yr old grandson had made a bunch of them, and if he could do it, I could! Have many more to make - they are very easy to do, much easier than the old fashioned way.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  09:37:26 AM  Show Profile
One for the yo-yo maker!!!! Glad you're liking it, Ruth. Those teeny ones are adorable BUT even with the maker, a bugger to do.

I'm now on the search for a GIANT one. The largest Clover makes is for a 3.4" yo-yo. I want at least 4". Now I'm going to have to make a make-do yo-yo-maker. The fun never ends!!!

Blessed be,*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How do you make yoyos for quilting and adornment? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page